1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats, Kael!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by White Elk, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Warlord

Well, they obviously have to roll some major expansion-like update out, to get that expansion reviewed to recover for the "special" launch. I hope they will call it something "fantasy/mediavalish" but with slight sarcastic hint at how its actually a giant patch.

Also grats to the Guy, alwas nice to see someone combine his hobby and career.

2. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Congratulations, Kael. I never understood why Firaxis did not try to hire you after your great work on Civ4 (or they did and you said no?). My best wishes to your cooperation with Stardock!

3. Dairuka

Dairuka Prince

I just bought Elemental off of Impulse to support Kael, it's the least I could do for all of his efforts in making Fall from Heaven 2, a mod I would've gladly paid full game price for.

Good luck in your future endeavors Kael; even those of us lurking in the shadows support you immensely.

4. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

+1, congratulations Kael! How awesome to get to develop games full time, I guess most of us can only dream of that! :goodjob:

5. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Congratulations, Kael :goodjob: And thank you for all the good times I've had with Fall From Heaven!

:( On the one hand I'm a bit sad to see Kael depart from Civ-modding. My Fall From Heaven II games in Civ IV are by far the most epic and fun games I have had.

:) On the other hand I'm really happy that he's helping develop Elemental. This is a game that looks right up my alley, but I've been reluctant in buying it yet due to the numerous bugs reported.

What is this "Eden" you speak of?

6. Coffeemonkey

Coffeemonkey Chieftain

Congratulations Kael!

I am a huge fan on the work you and your team did on the FFH mod.

Congrats!

7. Bringa

Bringa King

Aaaaand now I'm thinking of buying Elemental. Even though this probably means no Kael-led FfH for Civ 5, this is great news. Congratulations!

8. ash874

ash874 Warlord

congragulations
    if what you did would not be enough to get into the industry than i dont know what would

9. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Congratulations Kael! Been a Stardock fan since the original Galactic Civilizations for Windows.

I am now even more confident that Elemental War of Magic will turn out very well indeed!

10. snoochems

snoochems Prince

:confused: I'm not sure if you're being funny, or actually think that CiV is not in Alpha?

I would certainly not have purchased CiV if I had have known it was going to be... well, craptastic.

11. Nadrak

Nadrak Chieftain

I love fantasy games, I love Civilization series...so I loved FFH...but when I saw the Elemental I was confused...it really has some potential, but that graphic...have you seen units close-up in an inventory? Terrible squared faces like from game 10 years old.

12. Abremms

Abremms Prince

not to derail the thread, but V is in infinitely better shape than Elemental was at launch. V is playable, and its even fun for the vast majority of average players. Elemental was bad. like, real bad those few of us who could get it to run for more than an hour were greeted by a clusterfrak of broken mechanics, terrible balance and generally poor gameplay.

V has a few bugs and needs some tweaks, but don't compare it to Elemental.

also, its worth noting that Elemental now is a vastly different game than it was at release, the majority of the bugs are cleaned up, and the game is fun to play. with Kael onboard, i have no doubt it will only continue to improve.

13. Ribusprissin

Ribusprissin Warlord

wow grats

14. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Prince

I wholeheartedly agree. The utter, wholesale crappiness of Elemental at launch was like nothing I've ever witnessed in games I've played (and I am an old fart who has bought every meaningful turn-based game since the dawn of civilization).

Also, while I am happy that Kael gets a crack at improving Elemental, I am pessimistic that he will actually be given a free rein, given Wardell's marked arrogance, self-absorption, and refusal to heed constructive criticism throughout the beta process.

15. DirtyFinger

DirtyFinger Prince

Quite so!

By the way, now that Frogboy has Kael under wraps he got his old arrogance back in full. He even resumed asking critics to leave unless they have made a game of their own. All this to the usual cheers of the fanboys.

An important advice to Kael: If Frogboy invites you to a weekend retreat for employee bonding, then run like hell.
    Unless you dig that sort of thing, of course.

16. Mongolia Jones

Mongolia Jones Chieftain

Congrats to Kael, hope everything works out.

FFH2 is a game that transcends games. It's my top 3 of all time fun games and I'm a relative old fart. The thing that made FFH2 so wonderful to play was that it had so much depth. I remember playing one civ over and over (the one where you are only able to build 5 mega cities) till I got so good I almost never lost playing them.

Then I switched to the vampire civ where I actually had to relearn how to play... as if I purchased brand new game <- phenomenal.

17. AljayBoy

AljayBoy Warlord

Nice one Kael, congrats and well done.

18. Jharii

Jharii King

Congratulations, Kael.

This is great news for Elemental and CiV both!

Elemental gets that shot of adrenalin it needs from a proven (legendary) developer in the modding community, while CiV now has a modding hole to fill with the next up-and-coming visionary.

It's a win-win.

19. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

congrats kael .. and good luck at stardock .... once upon a time i bought galciv2 one of the reasons was it didnt have drm .. it wasnt too bad for a turn based game and my impression was the developers were pretty honest with their customers .. hope the same happens with elemental
    and thanx for ffh2 it made civ4 worth it

20. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

I'm a little confused as it appears this game has already been produced, and what happened to Scott Tykoski? I assume Kael will be responsible for what? patches?