Connectivity solution?

nucApe

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

i love playing civ 4 bts via gamespy with my bro. I have moved and I had to buy new modem. Since this moment, i cant play civ 4 with anyone thru gamespy. Its TERRIBLE! :D couse of that I was playing so much games and I´m missing it!

So i called to my developer and they told me that problem is in IPv6 that my new modem has. And my bro has IPv4, so we cant be connected together, until he get IPv6 too, or whole gamespy server will move to IPv6.

I was trying really everything, firewall options, modem options, porting, evolve service, reinstalling game and screaming. Nothing helps.

Should this be TRUE? Is this the problem?

I am not an expert in Gamespy, but this IPv6 vs IPv4 sounds like absolute BS to me. :)

And to be slight on topic, why dont you try DirectIP connection when playing with your bro? Or you want to play in team against other people on GS?

Or try a proxy server (hopefully he have IPv4 LOL)

When you say you tried everything (porting) do you mean port forwarding? This can be the answer if you did not tried it.

I have tried all of this possibilities, except direct ip connection because i dont have direct ip, my connection is going thru NAT and NAT is translating my ip every time to another ip so i think its not working.

But im not a pro in connectivity so i could be wrong.

I played civ 4 about one year and never had this problem, since i´v got new modem.

IF it is true that i have to go back to ipv4 and monthly pay to my developer, so im asking if this could be true or not. I dont wanna give another money to them.

For direct IP playing, you need only one of you to have real IP, then he creates the games and you join. Or just forward the real IP your router must have for sure to your computer IP. Also forward all the required ports to you computer IP (see in this section of the forum for guidance which ports must be forwarded beside the IP) If both of you lack the technical knowledge/experience to do the IP and port forwarding, try running a program like dyndns.org which will give you a domain name so your bro can type this domain as IP and you can connect.

You can also look into using PitBoss - I'm not an expert in it, but my friend that hosts our games tried it and we found it works really well once you get used to it.

Top Bottom