Conquest 03 Pre-Game Discussion

Even with the score penalty Conquest players should be near the top of the leaderboard this month with such a generous start bonus!

ainwood said:
Yes, it is standard. :)

...but what did you say the map seed number was? ;)

Ainwood, there is a possibility of changing AI aggression levels in C3C. Are you going to change aggression levels in any of future games?

predesad said:
The only problem is you will be at war before you get the great library because your contacts will demand literacy and they will not agree to peace unless you give it to them, and if you give it to them you lose the GL because of the wonder cascade, at least that was my experience on my test game.

I am not trying to say this strat would make it impossible to be competitive, I just think this is going to be a very difficult game and pursuing an AA wonder is going to make it that much more difficult unless there are a lot of variables in our favor and there is a lot of good outside our starting screenshot.

I play my latest test game a little deeper and the situation played out just as you said. I haven't been having problems getting to Phil first so looks like a republic slingshot might have the biggest payoff. I hereby recant all my previous statements with regards to MM and Lit slingshots. :)

On a side note, I have notice that the barbs behaivor is inconsistant. Sometimes they just sit in their camps as has been noted but occasionally they come out swing. I wish I knew what the stimulus was.

ainwood said:
BTW: Predator handicaps: AI Starting units increased to Deity level; Barb attack bonus removed. :)
Hmm, it might be wise to move your curragh to a sea tile when barb galleys are approaching. Usually they come in pairs, and you probably won't survive attack. Barbs do not seem to move to a sea tile unless it's in the middle of their way to another coastal tile.

Hello there all you Civ Fanatics type people (this is my first post here).

I just wanted to ask a few questions, as this will be my first game on Demi-God level. Firstly what is the Republic Sling-Shot all about, and how does it work?

A lot of people have been talking about researching Writing on minimum funding and then Philosophy on maximum funding. I don't really understand this, surely it would make sense to have them both on maximum funding so we can get them as soon as possible, and so that none of the AI players would get them first. If as I suspect, it is to generate money to trade with, then why not just get some from barbarian villages instead? (25 gold a time adds up after two or three).

Also I've read some people talking about a free Technology, I know we are Scientific but that means we get a new Technology at the start of each age, so surely that won't be for a long while? (Is this something to do with Philosophy?)

Anyway after reading your wise words I have decided provisionally that I'll move my worker West and then my settler either North West or South West, depending on what my worker sees. Writing seems like the best choice to research first as besides Iron Working it's the only 2nd tier Technology we can get from the start (and from what I hear the AI likes to go for Iron Working pretty soon, so this way we will have something to trade with any luck). My build order will be Curragh, followed by a Warrior and then a Granary (hopefully we'll have traded for Pottery by then, if not I'll start a Barracks and switch over once I have it).

Any advice on the above would be most appreciated, thanks.

Big thanks to Ainwood for doing all the hard work in setting these games up, I've really enjoyed the last two games of the month.

Wet

Also I've read some people talking about a free Technology, I know we are Scientific but that means we get a new Technology at the start of each age, so surely that won't be for a long while? (Is this something to do with Philosophy?)

The first civ to research Philosophy gets a free tech in c3c.

I just wanted to ask a few questions, as this will be my first game on Demi-God level. Firstly what is the Republic Sling-Shot all about, and how does it work?

When you research Alphabet, Writing, Code of Laws, Philosophy you can chose The Republic as free tech. Which will get you an advanced government very soon, why it is called a slingshot. You also get a very expensive tech for Philosophy. Mark, this is risky on higher difficulty levels, as the AI researches fast and may get Philosophy before you.

A lot of people have been talking about researching Writing on minimum funding and then Philosophy on maximum funding. I don't really understand this, surely it would make sense to have them both on maximum funding so we can get them as soon as possible, and so that none of the AI players would get them first. If as I suspect, it is to generate money to trade with, then why not just get some from barbarian villages instead? (25 gold a time adds up after two or three).

Some techs are very expensive when you have a few cities. Just have a look at the number of turns it takes you to research on any given tech %. If you start researching writing, minimun 10-20% will be as fast as 100%, while saving you gold. Forget about barb huts on demi-good, as long as you are not expansionist. You will get barbs too often.

Welcome!

WetSawdustDemon said:
First civ to Philosophy gets a free tech in [c3c]. So Writing, Code of Laws, Philosophy, free republic. That's the slingshot.

WetSawdustDemon said:
A lot of people have been talking about researching Writing on minimum funding and then Philosophy on maximum funding. I don't really understand this, surely it would make sense to have them both on maximum funding so we can get them as soon as possible, and so that none of the AI players would get them first.
Generally nothing you put into research for writing in the beginning will speed things up. It is better to save the gold for trading for other techs. Once you have writing you should be big enough to increase the research rate. Of, course it does hurt to check from time to time.

WetSawdustDemon said:
If as I suspect, it is to generate money to trade with, then why not just get some from barbarian villages instead? (25 gold a time adds up after two or three).
It is nice to supplement your income but warriors aren't going to do anything but die on higher levels. You will need at least archers to try that. I spend more time trying to survive the ones that come my way. Much less going hunt them out. [c3c] barbs will sometimes sit in camp unless you stir them up.

WetSawdustDemon said:
That's the slingshot. :) See above.

WetSawdustDemon said:
My build order will be Curragh, followed by a Warrior and then a Granary (hopefully we'll have traded for Pottery by then, if not I'll start a Barracks and switch over once I have it).

Any advice on the above would be most appreciated, thanks.

I am going to build 2 curragh, warrior, then granery. The faster you explore the more you get for your starting techs and later trades. The AI doesn't build curraghs. The early, sometimes exclusive, contacts is one of the few early advantages the human player gets.

If you haven't already, read the articles in the War Academy before you start. Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies Grs and Dvandenberg that is just what I needed. I see the logic behind that research line now, and with any luck (and some careful trading) I should be able to keep up with the AI in the early stages.

Oh and yes I am glad you mentioned the War Academy Dvandenberg, by no means have I read all of what is there but it’s certainly a great place to learn more about the game and I’d certainly recommend it to other players of any skill level.

Thanks again, and good luck in the game.

Wet

I want to play this game. I have never won above warlord though. Is it possible on Demi-god? and will I get an award for lowest scoring game?

Lord British said:
it's 2:30 pm here in Kiwiland- us Kiwis and Aussies almost have to wait till the 2nd of the month don't we!!

Hehe, also because of that, i have to wait till the first weekend as im too busy during the week to play :D. I am tortured all week waiting to play.

Yeah, I came in on Sunday morning (1st of August) to download COTM3 and it wasn't there! Here I was thinking that we would be operating on Kiwi time, and the game would have been posted hours ago. But it was not to be. I had to wait till the 2nd (or come back later in the night).

I am going a lot slower this game, mostly because of the difficulty level.

Top Bottom