1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

For the record, Tasslehoff's first post in this thread was Post #225 in the thread, on June 14, 11 days after the account was created. Farther down on the page 502nd PIR and I welcome him, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his first post, as indeed, Tasslehoff says it isn't.

Welcome to CFC, Praha [party]! I'll have the latest save file uploaded in just a moment. The size of the saves has exceeded the maximum for attaching it directly to posts for several centuries now.

edit: Here is the latest save, for 1955. It's at the beginning of the turn, so it shouldn't give away any details about what is to come.

2. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Welcome to civ 3 Praha.

Man that brang back memories. I remember Tasselehoff's first post. It was quite a while back.

Great updates Quintillus.

3. JDAllison

JDAllison Prophet of Doom

@Choxorn
    Well, thanks, dude. To be honest, though, I posted my eighth post here, and my 100th. I was a kinda-newbie, though! :lol:

4. Praha

Praha Chieftain

Thanks for all the welcomes, and thank you for the save, Quintillus:)

5. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

:lol: You're right, JD. For some reason I thought that was your first post...

6. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

Maybe we're all just delusional, that wouldn't surprise me. After all, we are on a forum for a story, for a game that we all play... Not to say that its wrong ('cause it's not) but that we're all just slightly weird.........

7. Quintillus

1955 AD - The Pentagon is completed in Ephesus! Our armies will grow as soon as we get a few more troops!

Our first priority is reclaiming the city of Veii. Persia has just one Immortal guarding it, so we expect an easy battle.

That is just what it is, and the city is Greek once again. Going so quickly from Roman to Greek to Mongol to Persia to Greek again is
    getting it fairly close to Frankfurt fairly quickly in the change-of-ownership category.

Our Artillery units move inside the city to be guarded by the tank, as they currently lack any other sufficient guard unit. By Cumae, an Elite Marine defeats the Infantry threatening the Redlined Elite Marine guarding the city, and the front is as secure as we can get it before reinforcements arrive.

There is good news, though - reinforcements are coming this turn! A Tank leads the way towards saving our weary troops.

Unfortunately that redlined Infantry redlines my Tank before falling. The tank can still reach Cumae, helping the defense slightly, but we were hoping for a slightly more definitive triumph.

It didn't come from the second tank, either, which repeated the narrow victory of the first.

Naval battle time already? Well, we spotted a Persian Ironclad, so we figure why delay its sinking?

The main task, though, is to destroy the Korean offensive once and for all. Our Bombers get us a good start on that.

It takes just three bombing runs to destroy the last Korean Infantry in the Middle East. The Korean offensive there was nearly a complete defeat, only a couple of our tanks falling saving them from that fate. With the Middle Eastern invasion gone, Hector begins work on defeating the Korean guerillas in the Gobi.

He makes quick work of them. Theodoros Kolokotronis was planning to be the next to help against the Guerillas, but headed a bit north first and spotted some Persian Cavalry threatening the Byzantine city of Nicaea.

So, helping our allies a bit, as well as insuring the Persians don't come south and attack Gergovia, Theodoros attacks the Cavalry and defeats three of the five. Another tank finishes the rest, and Persia is back down to seven Cavalry. A quick survey of Byzantine land by Ajax shows few Persian troops remaining in Byzantine territory and shows Parsagadae, Gordium, Tsingtao, and Beijing to all be within one-turn strike distance for Greek tanks. We still lack the sufficient troops to actually do this, but when we have the tanks...

Our efforts against the Gobi Guerillas run into some difficulties, with the first four attacks after those by Hector resulting in one victory, one dead Elite Marine, and two retreats, one from a Tank and one from a Mechanized Infantry. Mind, we had 2:1 attack:defense advantages in all of these battles. Not willing to give up victory this turn, we send the injured Mech Inf and Tank to defend positions in India, and have the Infantry defending two Indian cities come out to fight the Guerillas. These foot soldiers do much better than the units built for offense, and the Gobi is clear of Guerillas.

Back at sea, one of our Cruisers defeats an Incan Galley - but takes one hitpoint of damage :eek:! An Elite Cruiser being damaged by arrows? Sad, but true.

1955 IBT - "Your honor, an envoy from Queen Isabella wishes to deliver a message in person," the King's advisor informed him.

"In person? What news can be so important?" asked the King.

"They would not say, but assured me the meeting would not take long. I can only guess they have achieved a great victory they think we will be impressed with and are hoping for accolades for that - or perhaps that they decided to join us on another front. Will you see them?"

"Very well," replied the King. He didn't expect anything too extraordinary, maybe a trade offer with a considerable sum of gold behind it. So long as the meeting wasn't too long, however, it was acceptable.

And indeed their message was quite short:

Rather stunned, the King allowed them to return with their heads. The Spanish had been friendly the last time he remembered meeting with them, what had changed them so quickly? He could only guess large amounts of Korean resources were at play.

Three days later, a similar request came from a Scandinavian convoy. They hadn't been as friendly recently, and the Spanish message was still quite present on the King's mind, but he figured, what are the chances of another similar message? Well, he soon found out:

The Greeks were now at war with every civilization on the Europe-Asia-Africa landmass except the Byzantines, Mongols, Babylonians, and Zulu, and only the first two of those were useful allies. At least none of the enemies had been too fear-inspiring on the battlefield recently. But Korea, the one who had most failed in their offensives, soon gave signs that this might change soon.

They had Flight, and they had Bombers. The AI were advancing. No AI tanks were yet known of, but any advance into Korea would now be frought with bombs - and the safety of Armies in such an invasion was not guaranteed.

The tides of war had swung back and forth in the past five years, from a clear Greek advantage, to the Greeks facing a huge invasion, to the invasion being repelled and the Greeks just about to go on the offensive again, to now facing two new enemies and bombers from one of their foes. It could only be wondered what would be next.

And there you have it. China becoming an ally against a new enemy. Or, in other words, China making a case for us not to conquer them despite our realizing they are within striking distance.

Many other alliances were also signed this turn, none of them likely to result in any city captures. The Americans and Inca made peace, but all in all, the trend was very much towards war this turn. In a fair number of cases, war against Greece.

The new wars are an inconvenience to Greece, certainly, but will they really hamper us? And will the AI Bombers prove a significant danger? Only the future will tell.

8. lucashp

lucashp Chieftain

Oh no, your getting dog piled :eek:

Only one thing solves a dog pile, Another dog pile on them! Or yeah you could probaly just take all the land yourself. :crazyeye:

9. choxorn

Don't you mean Roman to Greek to Persian to Mongol to Persian to Greek? ;)

You are now at War with:

Persia
    Korea
    England
    Spain
    Scandinavia
    Portugal
    Rome
    Celts
    China
    Hittites
    Inca
    Aztecs
    Sumeria (right?)

That's 13 out of the 21 remaining AI opponents. Luckily, 4 of them (Scandinavia, Rome, Celts, Portugal) have fewer than 5 cities and you should be able to conquer them fairly quickly (except for the Celts- you'll have to plow through a bunch of Persian cities first)

The other 8 (Peaceful) ones are:

Maya
    America
    Ottomans
    Japan
    Byzantines
    Babylon
    Mongols
    Zulu

And half of these guys are really weak.

10. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

A small consoldation of this is... 13 less civ's, right?

After all, I can't remember a war where I ended up eliminated...But, I haven't been playing as often as I would like on Regent lately...

Who knows, you just might get something nice for a peace treaty.

11. Quintillus

We are indeed at war with Sumeria. I had to check that, though - we aren't anywhere near Greenland yet so I haven't seen any of their troops in ages.

It is becoming a dogpile. It seems like the civs that were Gracious are now Pleased with me. As I don't have that many civs left with which to dogpile my enemies, it looks like I'll have to go for the conquest method. But that's our goal in the end!

12. Quintillus

1956 AD - In addition to getting us more enemies, the new war declarations had significantly decreased the income we were receiving from other civlizations - almost certainly meaning Spain. We went from a healthy surplus of 48 gold per turn to a big defecit of 132 gold per turn, at 80% science. So we send out the trade envoys.

The Japanese and Zulu have embargoes against us, and the Byzantines, Americans, and Ottomans are all broke (the latter two in part due to already giving us a lot of gold per turn), so these are all the deals we'll get. The Mongols will get rails for the first time, but as they don't even have Steel yet I'm not too concerned about them becoming overpowering.

An early priority this turn is getting rid of the Cavalry threatening a redlined Mech Inf of ours.

That job proves easy, and we immediately then switch the Mech Inf with a full-health regular Infantry from a safer location.

Taking out Rome is our next priority. They have three units according to our spy. With Ulysess's Tank Army right outside their last city and at full strengh, we don't even bother bombing it - instead we head right into the city!

I intentionally chose that picture to make it look like the Spearman was doing very well against the tanks. Alas, he was not. That was the third and last defender, and the first was a Musketman. But it looks more dramatic when that part is left out!

Twenty-one civs remaining, Greece included! 11 down, 20 to go!

The next civilization to fall, in all probability, will be the Celts. Ajax's army has a fourth Tank joined to it, giving it 18 hitpoints all in all, and heads towards Lugdunum, the Celtic Capital and the Finest City in the World according to the never-questioned Demographics Page. We already knew it had a boatload of defenders from our bombing of it last turn, and our spy informs us the Celts have 13 Infantry, 3 Cavalry, a Rifleman, and a Guerilla spread over two cities - so we have no chance of taking the city this turn. But Ajax will start the attack as soon as the bombers finish their missions.

The Bombers destroy the Stock Exchange, Barracks, and Granary of Lugdunum, but thanks to the high number of troops stationed there, Ajax will still face a full-strength Infantry. Very well. He attacks.

And does excellently. Even with some Celtic Artillery thrown in the mix, he loses only two hitpoints in defeating the Celtic Infantry. We then send our Artillery in to bombard the next turn, guarded by a Tank and some of our best defenders - Leonidas's now 4-Hoplite Army.

1956 IBT -

Uh-oh. Now the Koreans are dealing with the Byzantines. This calls for closer relations with Theodora ASAP.

The Persians attack Cumae, but only with one Cavalry. We lose a Marine, but the city holds. Good thing those redlined tanks made it to Cumae in 1955.

Is it not great when your enemies fight each other? And this turn, we even got an ally against the Celts in the Zulu. The former of whom asks me for peace this turn. Brennus even offers 59 gold per turn for it...almost enough for me to accept. But we refuse. The Sistine Chapel surely is worth more than some paltry gold payment.

13. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

14. choxorn

Oh my god! You killed Caeser! You *******!

:lol: Sorry, I just had to say that.

World Map....

15. Quintillus

Haha. Guess Caesar isn't going to get to conquer the Chinese after all :).

I voted Vikings in the poll. It's a dead heat between them and the Ottomans right now. Both would be good conquerors. I just replied to the PM - it has a spelling mistake in it I realized after I sent it, showing exactly why I use the Preview Post button - and not always quite as often as I should!

Forgot I didn't have a World Map at the end of the section before this one. I'm not sure there's been any city captures, let alone significant ones, but I'll add a simple World Map to this post in just a minute.

Sorry it's not hugely detailed, but I've a good amount of math to do yet tonight. And that always takes a good amount of time.

16. choxorn

I see the Vikings have recaptured Trondheim. So much for England's plan to conquer them. Of course, what will save them from you? :evil:

Africa looks so much different without any Red in it, and Madagascar looks different now that it finally has a third city again.

Lol, America STILL has not captured Tlacopan, and yet they have captured one of the Aztecs' far northern Tundra cities that is (mostly) worthless! :lol: It's also probably very likely to culture flip to the Maya. It is, after all, completely surrounded by their borders. I'd say they have their priorities mixed up.

17. D0NIMATRIX

The mongols STILL haven't taken out any chinese cities:lol:

18. choxorn

Not true. Their northwesternmost city was once Chinese.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, perhaps Quint could post a screenie of the Northern Mongol/Chinese Land, and you'll see it.

19. D0NIMATRIX

Are you sure, it looks like it has cultural borders, or maybe it was just conquered awhile ago:confused:

Whose northernmost city do you mean, China's or Mongolia's?

20. Quintillus

Mongolia's. I believe they actually captured two Chinese cities. And it does appear Trondheim is once again Viking - I hadn't noticed that. The main changes in North America are indeed in the cold tundra. The Maya have, I believe, also made some gains up there (before making peace with the Aztecs, that is). I think that covers the changes pretty well.

Updates may be lacking for awhile due to a power outage at my university. I only had about 20% power when the power went out, and am now down to 12%, so the outlook isn't looking good for updates if the power isn't restored. I've still got about half an hour of power, though, so I might get one more up before the battery dies.

edit: The power came back while I was at lunch. So the updates should continue at a decent frequency.