Conquest of the World

You did say Alesia was captured in Ch 37, and you also said it was captured in Ch. 38. There may be others I can't think of at the moment.

You're right. I was only looking at Ch 38 and 39 before, which is why I didn't catch that. Good catch. :thumbsup:

I wasn't clear enough in Part 37 as to what happened in the battles. Alesia and Lutetia were both attacked, but neither was taken that turn due to insufficient numbers of Greek troops being within attacking distance. The capture of the cities didn't come until the next turn - in Part 38/39. I've gone back and slightly reworded the part of Part 37 about those attacks to make it clear that those cities were not captured at that time.

Thanks, it makes more sense now. :goodjob:

1951 IBT - A Persian Infantry stuck in the middle of no-man's land attacks one of our tanks and forces it to retreat.

And the Celts show dogged determination not to give up their capital, making a good assault on the Marines guarding our Artillery.

Fortunately they fall short, and the full fury of our attack is preserved.

The Aztecs, meanwhile, have been busy re-establishing their capital at Xochicalco, Louisiana, having been fortunate enough to avoid getting sunk by my Battleship while fleeing Tenochtitlan.

1952 AD - Our attacks on Entremont resume! First we bombard it, then we attack with an Elite Tank - and get a great leader! We name the leader after...

Leonidas! How could we have gone so long without Leonidas? Well, we've only had one leader since the list ran out, but still, that's a long time without Leonidas!

Taking advantage of having a leader, we sent Leonidas back to Rhodes and have him build an army.

If nothing in that screenshot jumped out at you, look again :).

It's a Hoplite army! Leonidas has gathered the finest Hoplites in Asia for his army. Archaic? Perhaps. But glorious? No doubt. Leonidas shall show the immortality of the Hoplite, and show his enemies what pain truly means.

To start, the Hoplites attack a redlined Infantry on the Nile. Spears and shields v. machine guns. Take your pick. I know who I'm choosing ;).

The Hoplites charge in a classic phalanx, and after that it's up to the screenshots to tell the tale.

Says who you need modern weapons? This is Greece! Hoplites are forever!

Having become quite caught up in the Hoplite charge, I almost forgot we were attacking Entremont. Resuming the attack against the Cavalry defenders, the city is quickly ours.

Not letting up on the Celts at all, we then target the shores of Tripoli. The coastal city of Verulamium comes under a swift attack by our Tanks, and repels only one in the time all four of its defenders fall. The Celts are down to three cities, and though they may retain the finest city in the world, their spirit has been broken.

Noticing I have a bit of extra money, I decide, why not invest in a bit of espionage? So that's exactly what I do. I get spies on the Scandinavians and Hittites...

...but don't have quite the same luck with the Koreans...

Apparently this means war. Korea hungers to take the cities of the largest empire in the world in conquest. So we sent them a very short letter - "Μολὼν λαβέ" - "Come and take them". They're more than welcome to try. But they're badly mistaken if they think they have the slightest chance at success. With our Infantry, Tanks, Bombers, and Hoplites, we are invincible! Molon labe, Korea!

We've a few battles yet before the turn is over. Off of Borneo, we literally blow a Persian Frigate out of the water with our new Battleship:

And we're all too happy, as always, to beat up on the Incan navy.

But there's a land battle we almost forgot about, as well: Veii. Charging with our tanks, the city falls without excessive resistance.

Rome is down to two cities. Pisae, in the Sahara, is already set to fall next turn. Entirely disregarding the Korean threat in the north, we decide to put Cumae in the same predicament.

And now we wait...

You would think that the AI would learn more, and take a measured response...

I was testing out a Mod I've been making, on Vanilla. Settings: Chieftain, continental, 60% water, 4bil, FUTURE age (for me:lol:) So, I plant a spy in America, and Abe decides to declare war on me. Mind you, this is after I've totally destroyed the English and the Russians. After that, Xerxes does the same thing :confused: beats me why, all I did was a propaganda campaign in his capitol. (It failed too :mad: )

Why does the AI always declare war on you when you plant spies (And they're caught).

Good story too, wishing for more...of course, that's nothing new.

Edit: I know this really isn't the place, but... I recently bought Civ3 Gold for me and my friend, and stupid SecuROM is always fouling it up. I haven't been able to even play PTW yet!!! So, does anybody have any way to work around that problem?

Actually, it's just as good for Korea to declare war on me now rather than later when I don't have any Persians, Celts, or Romans bothering me. I can't direct my entire force towards them at this time, and they can direct their entire force at me - so in this case it gave Wang Kon a very good excuse to jump on me when I was already in a bunch of wars.

Though in terms of diplomatic stance, Korea was at least Polite, quite possibly Gracious, so it isn't a very measured response. Usually I figure I'm pretty safe from war when I'm polite or better with a civ, and the only time I really have to be ready for war is when they're Furious.

Well yeah, it didn't have much of a differance, but I was mainly just commenting on the relative stupidity of the AI. I mean, jeez, when I want dumb AI's I'll play Halo or something, not Civilization.

Spartans! PREPARE FOR GLORY!

(AROU! AROU! AROU!)

Maybe a facebook group for your game would be cool.

The only stupidities of the Halo AI's are that they blow themselves up, and they don't charge at you when stuck with a plasma grenade to try and kill you.

THIS... IS... SPARTA!!!!!!

Just hope that no Persians come by with 10,000 Immortals. ;)

Alright, I made the facebook group. Shutup. I am a social networking addict.

It is called Conquest of the World. Go ahead and join up!

Maybe I've just been unlucky whenever I've played it, but everytime I have played Halo, its been with really stupid AI's...Who knows why, I sure as heck don't.

Anyway, Choxon, I've been wondering, what the heck is your avatar?:confused:

Who knows, maybe the AI seems dumb because I've been spoiled by other games... Really, grunts that cry out "He's everywhere!" When you wade among them with an MA-5B on full auto??? I prefer Nazis who attack smartly...Yes, I'm a COD fan!

THIS... IS... SPARTA!!!!!!

Just hope that no Persians come by with 10,000 Immortals. ;)

If that occured...I could be in for some trouble. It'd be battle like crazy on mainland Africa/Asia, but eventually I'd probably have to fall back all the way to my islands north of Australia.

My Avatar is a picture of the Arbiter from Halo 2. Actually, the real picture is a lot bigger than that, but it was sized down by the forum rules for avatars.

Thank you... Ya know, if 10,000 imortals attacked that army, he'd have a ton of leaders...unless of course, you are limited to one at a time......

Well, I didn't get to post my first post here, but I can post my 100th!!

:clap: [party] :band: :beer: :banana:

Great job Quintillus. One question: are you going to build the Military Academy or the Pentagon?

Just a though: wouldn't it make more sense to split your tanks in attacking Rome? You could hit both cities in the same turn!

Now, can we have a Word Map? Where exactly is the Aztec capitol now?

EDIT: @ choxorn, yeah, I just want to see it in relationship to the other countries.

It is in the lovely city of Xochicalco, in what is currently Louisiana.

Hmmmmmm...............Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's currently going after Rome and the Aztecs............... So, wouldn't they be smart and get into a Mil. Alliance...Or are they already in one?

Furthermore, wouldn't everybody he's currently going after get into one giant Mil. Alliance against him? Unless they already are in one...

Yeah, a World Map (W/ alliances noted on it, or I could just read through it again, but I'm lazy) would be nice...

The Military Academy was constructed in 1846 AD in Paris, but hasn't created any armies yet. In retrospect Australia (where Paris is) wasn't the greatest place to build it, but at the time Paris was well ahead of most of my other cities in production.

The Pentagon is currently being constructed, with an estimated finish year of 1955.

And here is a world map of the current situation, with Xochicalco, the new Aztec capital, indicated with an orange star.

I don't even know what all the alliances are - most of them are inconsequential - but the Aztecs and Romans do not have a formal alliance against me (they do against the Byzantines, however). The important wars are Greece and Byzantines vs. Persians and Celts, Koreans and English vs. Greeks, English vs. Scandinavians, Hittites vs. Japanese, Ottomans vs. Incans, Mayans and Americans and Greeks vs. Aztecs, Greeks and Zulu vs. Portuguese, and Mongols vs. Chinese.

Some of these civs have numerous other enemies that they'll probably never fight a battle with - the Aztecs, for example, are also at war with the Byzantines, Mongols, Ottomans, Japanese, Vikings, and Spanish.

Oh yeah, and I have a Mutual Protection Pact with America. I don't know of any other civilizations with current Mututal Protection Pacts.

(Looks at world Map) Lol, America STILL hasn't captured Tlacopan?

Greeks, English vs. Scandinavians, Hittites vs. Japanese, Ottomans vs. Incans, Mayans and Americans and Greeks vs. Aztecs, Greeks and Zulu vs. Portuguese, and Mongols vs. Chinese.

Oh yeah, and I have a Mutual Protection Pact with America. I don't know of any other civilizations with current Mututal Protection Pacts.

Do you still have the MPP's with Byzantines and Maya, or is it only the Americans?

I don't see how the Ottoman-Inca and Mongol-China wars are very important, seeing as while they are right next to each other, they don't fight much. And strangely, the Spanish and Inca seem to fight more, if only in Alaska and Hawaii, despite them being very far away from each other.

Why does it say "Korea and England vs. Greece"? The reasons for their wars with you have nothing to do with each other, and Korea probably won't fight you much anyway.

BTW, you forgot to include the Ottomans in the war against the Aztecs, and you forgot Greece vs. Rome. :p

@Ryyrk: And then, there are the many other wars in which nothing or very little happens. Aside from the Wars he liste and the ones mentioned just above, the only changes on the map I can see are the razing of an Inca city in Alaska- probably by Spain- and an American city captured by Sumeria on a small, Far northern Canadian Island very near Greenland.

Top Bottom