1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

1985 AD - We're currently in a bit of a tank drought thanks to 29 Manufacturing Plants and a SETI being built. At 10280 shields total cost, it's even more expensive than our initial Offshore Platform push, which is now all but over and putting lots of shields towards this project.

We begin the turn with the sinking by air of a Persian Destroyer that bombarded Verulamium last turn.

A Sumerian Galleon is next.

Sumeria surprises me when I request an audience by having all techs up to Amphibious War, Motorized Transportation, and Radio. While the most advanced civilizations have been bankrupt in recent years and their research has ground to a near-halt, Sumeria has nearly caught up. And indeed, their economy is many times stronger than that of the advanced Spanish, and double that of the unravaged Babylonians. Alas, it is all to naught if they can't secure any resources.

We try out our Radar Artillery for the first time on an unfortunate Korean Destroyer by Salamanca. The first one fails, but thereafter they are highly successful, and a Bomber has no trouble finishing off the now-redlined Destroyer. They enjoy even more success on some Persian Infantry near Beijing, making them easy prey. They'll help a lot in keeping mop-up duties from destroying tanks - and they'll also be able to help a lot more on the offensive.

Dienekes easily kills three Riflemen left redlined by the Radar Artillery. Ulysess is then called in from the north, and destroys the last one, and Nicaea is Greek.

Agamemnon, meanwhile, continues to conquer Scandinavia.

Only the forests keep him from advancing quickly enough to take Cattaragugus.

In Siberia, a Tank with heavy Artillery support is set to take Coventry.

I'd really like to take the Mongol and Spanish land keeping Siberia from being easily accessable, but that will have to wait until a few Manufacturing Plants are finished - the first are slated to be completed next year.

We have one more major advance this year - on Kyoto. Our Bombers are not terribly effective, but with up to four tanks available if needed, we're optimistic about our chances.

After the first attacker dies, I remember the four Artillery within range of the city. They do slight damage to the Japanese troops, and also destroy some walls I didn't know where there - one of the disadvantages of attacking a capital.

After the artillery strike, the defenders fall easily, and The Pyramids are ours.

At Texcoco, we are left with a 1-hitpoint Tank vs. 1-hitpoint Infantry situation. I almost roll the dice when I remember the Veteran Infantry outside the city will take it right back even if I do win; consequently I retreat my injured Tank.

1985 IBT - Mongolia takes the city of Manp'o from Korea. Their empire is now expanding, but it won't be for long. It may well look much, much different in 1995.

We spot the Aztec ships from Teayo leaving harbor! Unfortunately, they merely drop off a Guerilla by Cempoala before retreating back to harbor. A Flak now guards Teayo.

England makes peace with Babylon and the Hittites, and requests peace from me. I make the city of Birka my condition, but they narrowly refuse. So the war will continue.

America storms and takes Texcoco with Cavalry. I do all the hard work, they take the cherry...sounds like what happens to the AI all time time :). If they agree to a Right of Passage, though, no one need be hurt. At least, for awhile, and excepting the Maya.

The Maya bring Sumeria into an alliance against America. The deal seems good for both sides - the Maya need an ally, and Sumeria needs expansion.

1986 AD - Troy completes the first Manufacturing Plant in the Empire, and jumps to first in production. Two other cities also complete Manufacturing Plants, and Tanks will soon be being produced at record rates.

Our Radar Artillery and Bombers make quite a team in Scandinavia, and Agamemnon captures Cattaragus this turn with little resistance.

Naval and air bombardment proves just as lethal at Tokyo, and an Elite Tank easily takes the city. Our Infantry Army advances to the last Japanese bastion of Kagoshima.

America does agree to a Right of Passage with some Silks attached - a fortunate thing as otherwise I'd soon have been faced with the option of break a deal or wait until 1993 to continue my New World wars. Now I'll be able to conquer the Maya for a good long time before the Hittites again face my wrath.

I verify that the Byzantines are down to two cities before advancing, but also find that, though they acknowledge my envoys, they refuse to sign an even peace treaty. It is baffling at first, but Theodora seems resigned to the fall of the Byzantine Empire, and eventually says, "If I, Theodora, do not take a stand against your barbarian legions, Alexander, who will? Byzantines will fight on." It seems she is actually fighting to try to prevent me from achieving victory. If the AI had only started doing this seventy-five years ago, they may well have succeeded!

So we advance on Nanking. Radar Artillery again does an excellent job, and the city is ours.

The Byzantine Empire, ironically, is now reduced to one city, Heraclea, on the location of real-life Rome. The Eastern Roman Empire, geographically, fell quicker than the West. The Alps certainly helped in that.

Lysander opens attacks on Sidon this year. It contains the last connected source of Persian rubber - without it they are back to Rifles. Unless they can conquer some more - they have made advances in the Canadian Arctic in the past few years, taking one more city up there.

Our repaired Tanks land on Teayo once more this year, while our Battleships bombard the Guerilla by Cempoala to redline status. Hawaii will near certainly be ours next year.

1986 IBT -

The Koreans try to stop my plans to take the last of their Asian holdings, but fail. My Tank loses one hitpoint to their two Guerillas and gets promoted to Elite.

The Aztec Redline Guerilla Charge on Cempoala also fails.

Spain and England make peace, unfortunately for me. They'd been having some great Siberian Guerilla battles.

2. Quintillus

1987 AD - Hawaii is to be ours! Elite Tanks lead the offensive.

It takes two Tanks, but Teayo falls, and the ships in its harbor are destroyed. Our Hawaiian fleet now gets to sit back and rest until war breaks out with the Spanish or Inca.

The Japanese are shelled and bombed nearly out of existence shortly thereafter.

Not long afterwards...

Fourteen civilizations survive. The Byzantines are on their last city, and Korea, the Persians, and the Aztecs are all but defeated. A few more aren't in too great of shape. America leads with 8% of the land, and Sumeria with 6% of the population.

Korea will lose more cities this turn. Radar Artillery redline both defenders of Grand River, and Agamemnon destroys them.

Allegheny, to the north, loses all but a redlined Infantry to artillery and bombers before a Tank takes it.

All of the former Iroquois lands are now ours. But Korea's losses for this turn are not over.

Korea is now reduced to the British Isles. They do have good cities there, but even the British Isles are hard-pressed to stand up to the majority of Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Persia will soon be off of mainland Eurasia as well.

Lysander defeats three defenders of Sidon, and Alcibiades defeats the last one to make the city ours. Ulysess then leads an attack on Arbela.

It takes both Ulysess and Dienekes, but Arbela falls. At this point it's obvious we'll run out of places to conquer soon, so Persepolis switches to a Transport and Parsagadae to a Battleship, enabling us to invade Britain in two years.

We find one of Sumeria's seven Galleons north of Alaska.

Somehow it inflicts two hitpoints of damage to our Battleship. At least we won.

1987 IBT - Sumeria requests peace, but I decide it's too late to make peace with anyone. Peace means we can't attack again until 2008 - and that's just too late. We don't want to be waiting outside Greeland with 15 transports full of tanks just waiting for a peace treaty to expire!

Mwuhahaha! Even though I didn't engineer it, it's still just as good as anything I could do. So much for peace in South America...

Sure enough, combat breaks out on a great scale this turn. The Hittite troops down there are stranded, but they certainly are doing better than their opponents.

See, Gilgamesh? You didn't need to worry about me sinking your ships - Lincoln will do it for me! Without a single resource, Sumeria can't guard their ships, and the results aren't pretty. At least their navy doesn't cost too much.

3. Praha

Praha Chieftain

Are you sure this is a good idea? :huh:

Anyway, the number of updates in January is higher than... December, I think. Pretty good for two days :lol:

4. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Don't forget the Forbidden Palace and SPHQ. I started playing a game on your map a few days ago as the Maya and recently wasted a bunch of shields building the forbidden palace because I forgot there was no corruption. :lol:

:rotfl: Love the 1984 refernences!

Frankfurt has finally fallen! Good grief, it went from German to Indian to Zulu to Egyptian to Babylonian to Persian to Hittite to Persian again, and now finally it's owned by you! That's 8 different owners!

Intombe also seems to be attracted to being captured: It's gone from Zulu to Japanese to Hittite to Mongol. Soon it will be to you. :evil:

The Aztecs are using Transports? Where did they get Oil?

Well, the Inca are toast, but they can't yet be counted out- they still have 2 cities in Northern Canada, and it appears as though Machu Picchu has recently flipped to them!

Korea only has the British Isles? What about Vilcabamba? Or was that the city Persia recently captured up there?

5. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

That's another five updates within twenty four hours! :run: The story-making laws are falling apart! :run:

So, fourteen civs to go, eh? Get working!

6. choxorn

There's 14 civs left including him. Soon, there will be 13 (Byzantines are all but dead), and the Persians, Aztecs, and Koreans will soon be pwned by him, and the Inca will probably be pwned by the Hittites.

7. Quintillus

There aren't many enemy ships in the Pacific, and they're as likely to go by Hawaii as anywhere, so I figure it won't hurt too much.

Probably should turn of FP and SPHQ, too. Might switch the 31 civ scenario map with a new one with those buildings turned off. Maybe leave Police Station at a lower price and maintenance for its anti-war-weariness abilities.

Couldn't resist the 1984 references in the year 1984. It's one of my favorite books all time, though certainly not one I would enjoy living in!

The Aztecs don't have any oil, but they did in the past. An Aztec Destroyer sank one of my ships a long time back when I was first landing in Central America. After their current Transports are gone (one remains), there won't be any more.

Vilcabamba is Korean. Forgot they captured that city. Now I know where my first target will be after finishing off Eurasia...Persia captured the city of Alalah from whoever captured it from Arabia. It's way far up north.

I believe Macchu Picchu did culture flip fairly recently. Evidently they didn't like those fascist Hittites too well.

Smoke Jaguar and Theodora would prefer I don't work too hard on reducing the number of civilizations. Especially Theodora.

Possibly the Mayans by the Americans (and before too long my Tanks) as well. The amount of city ruins in Canada and Alaska seems to have increased, and the city of Dallas recently appeared in Alaska where there wasn't room for a city before.

8. kingfire87

kingfire87 Chieftain

How could a Jaguar Warrior redline a Mech Infantry?!?! I've noticed that Jaguar Warriors unload near Athens, Corinth, Sparta, etc. All I see as defenses are hoplites. Are there powerful units around there, or are hoplites really the only guards.

9. choxorn

Alalah is a Hittite city, not an Arab city. :p

So the Mayans no longer dominate the area?

10. Logitech

Logitech A Person.

Your making me dizzy with all these updates!!!
    Take a break for an hour, will ya!

So now you just need to do away with Babylon, England, Spain, And someone else, and you'll control the entire Asia/Africa/Europe Land-mass!!!

11. choxorn

"Someone Else" Is the Mongols.

Also, they still need to finish off Persia, Byzantium, and Korea.

12. Headbanger

Headbanger Chieftain

Keep it up and you could have it all by 2050.

13. kingfire87

kingfire87 Chieftain

I think it's possible to have it all by 2050, but it would be hard. There aren't too many turns left. But still, it's possible at the rate things are going. By the way, welcome to Civfanatics, headbanger! :wavey: [party] :band: :dance: :banana: :high5: :spear:

14. Headbanger

Headbanger Chieftain

I want another world map!

15. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Chieftain

I think Quintillus has a good shot at killing everyone before 2050. He's almost done with the Old World, and he has a good foothold on the New World.

16. choxorn

Welcome to CFC, Headbanger! I wonder how many times in this thread people have been welcomed...

17. Quintillus

It's all in the mathematics - it's quite unlikely, but a Jaguar Warrior can beat a Modern Armor if it gets lucky enough. In this case it was a Veteran Jaguar Warrior against a Conscript Mech Inf, so it only had to win with 1-of-18 chances once in four times. That's about a 15% chance - not quite so unlikely as it first appears.

It's almost all Hoplites in southeast Asia/Oceania. I do have one Regular Mech Inf that I drafted the previous time someone landed troops on my main island. But no one's landed enough to warrant full-scale modernization - the Medieval Infantry and Cavalry that my Spartans defeated years ago was the strongest landing force we've seen to date on the islands.

Oops, apparently I'm not familiar enough with the PTW and Conquests civilizations yet :blush:.

The Mayans still have a good amount of land up there, but I do believe it has shrunk. In terms of troops, it's about 78/18 Inf/Cav for America and 30/3 for the Mayans. And since they're at war with those numbers, I would not say they're dominating.

OK. Break taken. Ate some yummy ice cream in very cold weather. Kept it from melting, though.

Voila! Welcome to CFC!!! :band: [party] You're the first member I've spotted to register in 2008!

At this point I think I will finish the conquest before 2050. It's really picked up recently. A couple centuries ago it was quite doubtful I'd finish by 2050, but once the AI's get weak, it becomes much easier to conquer quickly.

18. Theryman

Theryman Chieftain

Wow- the green is spreading really fast.

19. choxorn

Yeah- I think bombers can be thanked for that.

BTW, in my game I'm playing on Quint's map, the Babylonians, who started in New Guinea, have the 2nd-lowest score (Ottomans, who started in Scandinavia, are slightly lower) of any surviving civ (Arabia is already dead- they were uber-pwned by me, and finished by China- and they declared War on China! :lol:), they have only 3 cities (The fewest built by any civ, although the Sumerians have 3 cities as the result of being at war with 5 other civs, and a couple of the other civs aren't much bigger), and they're the most backwards civ in the game (Although Sumeria and the Ottomans come pretty close) so I would say that either the New Guinea start sucks or the AI just doesn't know how to play it.

The start locations in the Middle East and Scandinavia are also not that great.

Good Start locations would seem to be the one in Brazil and the one in British Columbia, among others.

20. Theryman

Theryman Chieftain

See, I liked the ones in Europe- either in france or where the Byzantines always start. They have good food as well as some good terrain for sheilds. Africa is not bad, either, especially the start near the bottom of Africa, but not quite the lowest. The Nile is great for massive cities early on, and I can get 6 or 7 size 12 cities from it pretty easily.

However, the AI never seems to fight in my games. Maybe I just need to get up to the IA when production really takes off.

EDIT: Post 1000! :band: :rotfl: [party] [party] :beer: :beer: [party]

Damn good story! :salute: