Conquest of the World

Quintillus, I'm not sure I've seen this in any of your screenshots... how much money is in your treasury. If you have a lot, you could just upgrade the units in the Athens, Sparta, Corinth area instead of having to draft conscript mech infantry any time someone gets past defenses... Just a suggestion mind you. :lol:

Great Update! Pwn the Mongols!

And while you're at it, you have an RoP with America, so go get Tlacopan! I'm sure you'll be able to attack it more efficiently than America could.

Hey- Your peace treaty with the Inca expires this turn... Doesn't it? :mischief:

Nice to see that you are:

A) Alive and Well...Thought you might've died of over posting!
and
B) still pwning everybody else!

Keep up the great Greek work!

Quintillus, I'm not sure I've seen this in any of your screenshots... how much money is in your treasury. If you have a lot, you could just upgrade the units in the Athens, Sparta, Corinth area instead of having to draft conscript mech infantry any time someone gets past defenses... Just a suggestion mind you. :lol:

I've got about 5000 gold. I suppose I could upgrade them, but there's no pressing need to do so. I have been upgrading regular Artillery to Radar Artillery, but I'm still making a profit long-term. Perhaps I'll upgrade one per island, but Sparta with Mech Inf instead of Hoplites? Impossible!

Great Update! Pwn the Mongols!

And while you're at it, you have an RoP with America, so go get Tlacopan! I'm sure you'll be able to attack it more efficiently than America could.

Hey- Your peace treaty with the Inca expires this turn... Doesn't it? :mischief:

Hmm...I could go for Tlacopan now that you mention it. I've already played a couple turns ahead, but that would be a worthwhile diversion from my advance against the Mayans.

I have deals with the Inca lasting until 1998 or 1999. IIRC, my deals with the Hittites end in 1993, and with the Babylonians in 1995. Spain is either 1998 or 1999 (whichever the Inca aren't), and America is 2006.

How did you get literacy and life expectancy so high? Is it just the 0% corruption?

Libraries, Universities, and Research Labs increase literacy, I believe in equal proportions, and The Great Library gives a large benefit until it is rendered obsolete. The Internet thus has helped me greatly with that, giving me Research Labs almost everywhere. I also build Libraries in every town I capture for cheap culture (I'm scientific) and some extra science, so that helps a lot. And my developed cities almost all have universities, so there's the high literacy.

Life expectancy is composed of Granaries, Aqueducts, and Hospitals. The Pyramids thus helps with that a lot, and so does having a few big cities (rather than lots of tiny towns). I've been expanding my number of Granaries in the Old World recently to help increase population, and the capture of Kyoto gave a nice boost as well.

No corruption does help, of course. While I've had extremely high literacy and life expectancy before - a good amount better than I have in this game right now - it's more affordable and easier to get the buildings without corruption. But you can still have terrible literacy/life expectancy with no corruption if you don't build libraries and granaries.

1991 AD - The turn starts with the elimination of an Aztec Cavalry unit by the Spanish-Hawaiian city of Palma. Can't have it blocking the landing beaches.

We then proceed to advance against the Maya at Copan.

One Tank is lost, but our advance into North America reaches its furthest level yet. Chichen Itza is next. Five airplanes cross the Pacific to help in the advance.

Returning to the Old World, we have a city to retake in Africa!

We then turn to this turn's main attraction - the Mongol front!

A Trebuchet is not enough to stop Dienekes from defeating the first Mongol defender in Karakorum, and two more fall as well. A Spearman, ancient but strong, remains in the capital as its sole defender against the army of Tanks, giving it one more year.

Hangchow, to the northwest, lacks sufficient troops to replicate that nondefeat.

Ta-Tu, sothwest of Hangchow, falls just as easily to a Tank after being redlined by Radar Artillery, and gives me an unexpected bonus after I take it:

Another Wonder in Greek hands! Even if it is obsolete, you can't say it's not cool to control the Knights Templar wonder.

The Trebuchet we captured proves its usefulness by injuring a nearby Mongol Infantryman. Nothing quite like a good ol' fashioned Trebuchet.

The town of Manp'o will fall this turn as well. Lysander, though heavily injured, is strong enough to both move through the surrounding forests and take it this turn. First, though, we have to eliminate one of its two defenders, and that calls for a...

Cruise Missile! For pure strength and economy I'll take Radar Artillery and Bombers any day, but the lethal bombardment and infinite rail transport of Cruise Missiles sure does make it useful to have a couple around.

The English city of Dover is next. A nice helping of Radar Artillery has redlined all its Infantry.

A Guerilla keeps the city English, but my Radar Artillery are tearing my enemies to shreads...they can't afford to lose two Infantry to one of my Tanks so easily.

The Mongols are in a bleak situation - how are one Infantry, one Trebuchet, and two Spearmen supposed to hold off the Greek armies? The situation is nearly as bleak, however, for Great Britain.

1991 IBT -

The Koreans make a small attempt to drive off my Tanks, but fail. Not that they ever had much of a chance. They do succeed, however, at taking Khurasan from Persia.

Intel reports that America lost a Destroyer this IBT and Korea lost two - not surprisingly given the location of recent activities the war between the two has been playing out on the seas.

A thousand miles from home and they still can't get along? The Incan Rifleman surprisingly wins on the offensive, and the Hittite Settler is captured.

Haha. Another Old World war for old times' sake, it appears. They can't have too many more of them. But for now, they're at it again!

1992 AD -

Another very useful technology! Synthetic Fibers is coming up next - and you know what that means!

With the advent of Recycling, it looks plausible that we may actually end our pollution problem. Furthering that point, Paris finished our first Mass Transit System this turn. Recycling Centers will enter production across our Empire very quickly. In perhaps a moment of overzealous commitment, the King announced this year that within 25 years the Empire would have fewer than 25 tons of pollution. Environmentalists hope this is the case, but strategists are wondering if it's possible...only in 2017 will we know for sure.

Our first priority of this turn is defeating Mongolia. In Madagascar, it's easy - just march into Intombe unopposed.

We have an actual battle at Hovd. But it's no match for Ulysess.

Which leaves one Spearman and one Trebuchet at Karakorum.

The Spearman actually forces one of the tanks in Dienekes' Army to retreat, but in the end...

Twelve civilizations remain. It took only five turns to conquer Mongolia.

It is about time for one of those. Here it is, as of the end of the most recent update:

They're paying me 44 gold per turn right now and the last deal with them doesn't expire until 1996. That's more than half my foreign income, and I've still got people to conquer, so I'm fine with them for now.

Here's the rundown on what deals last when (now that I've got the game running it's 100% accurate):

Hittites: last deal expires in 1993
Babylon: paying me 44 gold per turn right now, last deal expires in 1996
Spain: last deal expires in 1998
Inca: last deal expires in 1999
America: paying me 30 gold per turn right now, last deal expires in 2006

The expansion of my wars will roughly follow that schedule. The Hittites may get a short reprive since they're fighting the Inca right now and I've got the Maya to beat up on for awhile, but the others will likely follow that exact schedule.

Treasury update: over 6000 gold now. +500/turn. Mass tank upgrade coming up in a few years.

Another Wonder in Greek hands! Even if it is obsolete, you can't say it's not cool to control the Knights Templar wonder.

Huh, I wonder why Mongolia didn't have any Crusaders?

A thousand miles from home and they still can't get along? The Incan Rifleman surprisingly wins on the offensive, and the Hittite Settler is captured.

That's a rifleman? It's really hard to see exactly what unit that is. Heck, it looks like a unit from the Napoleanic Wars Scenario!

1992 AD - After the conquest of Mongolia, we turn to Britain. Oxford, their westernmost city in Siberia, is the next target.

Yes, that's a Pikeman in the first screenshot. They did have an Infantry, whom I redlined, but their second defender was a pikeman.

We then head southeast to capture Canterbury, the warmest city in the English Empire.

Riflemen are no match for tanks. Dover is the next city on our campaign.

:woohoo:

We'll save the new Army until we get Modern Armor, and then probably ship it to the New World.

Unable to make it any further through the Siberian forests this turn, we turn to the New World and Copan. Our shelling goes well, but our bombing is pitiful. So we send in an Elite Tank.

Four Tanks defeat five Infantry despite two Cannons' bombardment, and the city is ours. The Mayan government relocates to Palenque, roughly in the Napa Valley of California, and three Tanks, a Radar Artillery, and our new Cannons head to Tlacopan.

But before we go for J.S. Bach's, our invasion force in Britain must advance on Pyongsong. Our shelling and bombing destroys merely a Stock Exchange, so our Tanks go in by themselves.

The first one loses, and the second one scores a narrow victory. At this point they've still got a full-health Infantry. The next Tank also scores a narrow victory, but it's apparent then that final victory won't be easy. They've already shown depth by taking first shots with a Hwach'a and two Guerillas, and even though we've destroyed or injured three, they still have a full-strength Veteran Infantry. We sent in another Tank anyways.

Mixed results. The tank loses, with the least success of any thus far, but they're out of first-shot units and no full-strength Infantry reappears after this battle. Another Tank advances - and retreats without doing any damage.

Now we're in damage-control mode. They've got at least two Guerillas, a 3-hitpoint Infantry, and a 2-hitpoint Infantry, and we've got a 3/5 Tank and three redlined Tanks. I search for a Cruise Missile to help out, only to find my Cruise Missile city dropped below 60 shields per turn thanks to pollution and consequently I don't have any . So I just move my 3/5 Tank on top of the injured ones and fortify it, and hope it can beat back any Koreans.

Of all places to stop six Tanks, it turned out to be Britain. Everywhere else this was an overwhelming force, but when the Greek Empire of all of Europe and Australia and most of Asia and Africa invaded Great Britain, it was repulsed. The Greeks will return, but Britain for now has remained unconquerable.

1992 IBT -

The Koreans attack our guard Tank and force it to retreat, but don't send out anyone else! We'll have to evacuate the island, but at least we didn't lose our entire invasion force. Britain lived up to its reputation, though. It didn't surrender, and even in the dark shadow of six of the most powerful Tanks the world had ever seen, it fought them off to the last and forced them off the island. Britain put up the most successful resistance to Greek expansion in a decade, and will soon be put to the test again.

America sends quite a large force to Central America. They must be at war with someone, probably the Hittites since the Inca still have a couple North American cities. If I let the Americans go through here it could get quite interesting.

For now, though, the Hittites are enjoying success against the Inca. They captured the city of Tiwanaku this turn, nearly cutting off the city of Vilcas from the rest of the Incan Empire in the process.

All that will change soon if America reaches them, and of course, soon the Greeks may choose to turn against them as well.

Top Bottom