Conquest of the World

Thanks everyone. To answer some of the questions:

But, now what happens to this thread?

Keep an eye on it. There is a finite amount of items yet to appear, but you may have noticed the last section doesn't include everything you usually see at the end of games. And I haven't yet accomplished everything I set out to accomplish by playing the Earth (Huge) map and conquering the entire world.

Does this mean that you're going to go back and do episode I: the rise of Quint? and detail your rise to power in Greece?

Nope. There will be no prequel to this story, even if someone has a New Guinea map.

Various Commentors Recently said:
Will there be another story?

It is quite likely that there will be. When I do start another one, I will post in this thread with a link to the new one. I'm not yet sure what my next story will be, but I've written down several ideas over the past few months to decide between. I should also note that it may or may not be CivIII, but it certainly will be of similar style to CivIII.

It may be some time before I start it as well - if I decide on CivIV I'll have to wait until midway through March because I don't have the discs with me, and in the meantime I'd also like to make decent progress at Pax Romana, which will take quite some time. I'm on page 2 right now :lol:.

For now, I'm finishing up the February GOTM. Then maybe my current Emperor game, and then back to Alexander of the Greeks, 2018 AD.SAV.

Well I'm a bit late.

YEAH! You finished! The conquest of the Americans was most memorable. Congratulations!

And forever (or at least a long time) shall be remembered that HOPLITES RULE! :king:

And the lurker dissapears again. I really should post more often.

An Empire Building Lombax

It is quite likely that there will be. When I do start another one, I will post in this thread with a link to the new one. I'm not yet sure what my next story will be, but I've written down several ideas over the past few months to decide between. I should also note that it may or may not be CivIII, but it certainly will be of similar style to CivIII.

Psst! Quint! Check this out!

*Walks away whistling nonchalantly*

:woohoo::woohoo:woohoo:

Quint is victorious! And he was victorious with hoplites, just as I suggested! Huzzah!

Ryyrk, I accept credit cards, checks, cash, or paypal ;)

And yet... I notice nobody has said this yet. You must all be waiting for me.

THIS..... IS.....
SPARTAAAAA!!!!!

May 3rd, 2017: King Alexander was elated. He had achieved the dream of generations of Greek Kings - conquest of the world. It was the best day of his life - the climax of the Greek Empire. He saw his domestic advisor.

"Demetrios! Quadruple the National Day fireworks celebrations in every city, and ten times in Athens! I want this year to be remembered forever! Take no mind of the cost; we've been looking for things to spend money on for years!"

"Very well, sir," replied his advisor. Ten times...that would be a celebration of unparalleled scale. Hopefully the fireworks suppliers could make enough fireworks in time.

Reaching a door, the King let himself out onto a balcony. The Colossus shone from the shore in the sunset, a testament to the Greece of old, the small, at that time city-state Greece, yet it was no less brilliant for its age. It had taken generations to go from the aspiring Greeks who had paid dues to Helios to the Greeks who even were a regional power. The conquest of Borneo had, at the time, been a great step forward for Greece. Now areas greater than Borneo, which had took centuries to conquer, were taken in a week. Yet the early conquests were no less important for the length of time they took.

So much had changed even since Alexander had become King in late 1997. True, the bulk of the army was the same, Modern Armor having recently been introduced at that time, but the land was so different. Greece had already been plenty powerful, but most of South America and North America was not conquered, as well as Spain and parts of Babylon. Sumeria, too, was unconquered. At the time the possibility of Alexander finishing the conquest so many kings had dreamed of seemed possible, but it was certainly not guaranteed.

Yet now - success was his! His name would go down as the one who had finished it all, who had overcoming second-guessing of his decision not to go to war with America as quickly as possible to make it his greatest triumph. All the while technology continued at an unprecedented pace, with space flight coming and Greece landing on the Moon. Now genetic research was leading to unprecedented advances in the medical sciences. There couldn't have been a better time to be King.

He saw his military advisor, Georgios, walking into the gardens below. "Georgios!" he called out. "We're victorious! Guess we won't be fighting too many more battles, will we?"

"I hope this doesn't mean I'm out of work!" replied Georgios.

"You? Not in the least! What kind of king would I be if I didn't keep you on board after your brilliant blitzes? Excellent work!"

As his military advisor walked on towards his house by the shore, the King was once again lost in thought. His entire career had been dedicated to this goal of conquest, and it was now complete. His predecessors had been working on this for quite some time as well - it was the first time since 1850 that Greece had been at peace. What awaited him now? There was nothing left to conquer. Ah, it didn't matter now, he decided, he had celebrations to attend to for weeks.

August 18th, 2017 - The celebrations had finally worn down. Weeks of celebration had been most enjoyable for the citizens of New Guinea and greater Greece as well, but after awhile normalcy inevitably returned. And with it the King found the work to be surprisingly domestic. He had always loved hearing of the latest military conquests and plans and the latest improvements to the Greek war machine, and now there were just a few relocations going on, nothing major. Meanwhile the domsestic affairs continued, and while it had been quite fun to pour money into celebrations with no regard to cost, that couldn't continue forever if only for the fact that eventually Greece did need some productivity, and now it was mostly standard work again. To the King, what had been interesting now seemed rather mundane without any ultimate goal. And thus over the previous weeks he had decided it was time to, while he still could tour the world, resign from the pressures of being King and let his son rule the peaceful world that posterity would inherit.

His son, Jason, had been incredulous at the time the King told him this. He had always assumed being King would be in the still-distant future, that he would be Prince for years. But over the past few days it had made sense to him. He had always been more trained in the peaceful arts of administration than the military ones, and they certainly would be more useful now. And his father had certainly achieved the climax of his rule now. He, Jason, was still young, but was certainly well-initiated with all the royal customs and responsibilities. Now he had twenty-two weeks to prepare for his inaugeration on January 19th, 2018. It all seemed so soon - but, though also nervous, he was somehow calmly confident he could rule the world well. He certainly would inherit in a good sate.

January 19th, 2018 - The mood was at once both jovial and bittersweet at the palace as the King prepared to hand over rule to his son that evening. The King had been a good ruler, with all areas except literacy seeing great progress during his reign, and that been mitigated by the great expansion. Most importantly, he had at last achieved the goal of generations of Greek kings - conquest.

"My fellow citizens," began the King, and the room hushed. "As you know, I am abdicating the throne today. I have greatly enjoyed being King over the past two decades, but the world today is a different world from the one I have ruled for twenty years - it is a peaceful world. The world as I am familiar with it is one straught with conflict. It is fortunate that we are now at peace, certainly, but it is not the world I have been trained to rule for decades. It is the world that the young of today will be fortunate enough to inherit. As such, I feel it only right that the young shall rule this world at this time, shape it as they feel fit. I will continue, of course, with royal duties, but the day-to-day affairs of the state shall now belong to Prince Jason."

The audience quietly applauded the speech as courtiers brought the documents of abdication to a table in front of the throne. The King took a seat in the throne, read the documents, and then signed them with a swan quill pen. The ceremony then turned to Prince Jason.

"Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the peoples of the Greece, Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe, South America, North America, and of all of your other possesions and the territories therein, according to their respective laws and customs?"

"I solemnly promise so to do."

"Will you use your power to cause Law and Justice to be executed in all your judgements?"

"I will."

"Will you use your power to keep peace throughout the Kingdom and work to ensure the prosperity of all its citizens?"

"I promise to do so."

He then walked over to the Shield of Holwerd, carried by the captain at the first Greek conquest in 300 AD, and placed his hand on it.

"I will perform my duties as King of Greece to the best of my abilities. So help me Zeus."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you," said the coutier in charge of the ceremony, and then he placed the crown on Prince Jason's head, "King Jason of Greece!"

Fireworks went off outside the palace and small-scale pyrotechnics inside, and organs started playing. It was a celebratory mood all around. After twenty minutes, it had at last calmed down, and the new King spoke.

"Thank you, thank you. It has been quite an evening. Ten years ago, it seemed quite optimistic to think Greece would control the world by now. Some thought it would take as long as 2037. And now here we are, at peace and controlling the world."

"My priority as King is to increase the standard of living of Greeks everywhere. Literacy is one of my major goals. It is one of the few areas not to increase recently, though certainly the addition of more than fifty-five million people to the Greek Empire within the past nineteen years has something to do with that. I hope to see 95% literacy within my reign, from our current eight-two percent. Lifespan also will be a major initiative. Currently the estimated lifespan is seventy-seven years, but surely an empire as wealthy as the Greek can do better than that. Commerce and industry also are important. Already our industry, at more than six gigatons per year, and our commerce, well over eight billion drachmas per year, is staggering, but all signs point to further growth being entirely possible. The New World especially will be developed significantly. Of course, I will work to please the entire Empire as well. And of course, technological development will continue unabated." Looking around, he continued, "Without further ado, let us continue with the festivities. A Friday night is no time to get bogged down in administration!"

The crowd applauded, and soon music and dancing began. The people had great faith that their monarch would lead them to even greater levels of achievement than the admittedly high standards of living they already enjoyed.

Other statistics of the Empire:

Score: 3408, after bonuses. America is second with 1000. This is far from my personal highest (approximately 7100) but the slow start no doubt lowered it significantly.
Culture: 123835. This isn't actually high enough for a Cultural Victory on Huge (160K). I'm not sure if it will hit that by 2050 AD or not.
Athenian Culture: 6285. Well off the 20K for one city mark, but we never were trying for that.
Treasury: 26,881 gold. We've got more gold than we know what to do with.
Surplus at 4-turn research: 2959 gold per turn. Way more gold than we know what to do with.
Maintenance: 2320 gold per turn. We could pay double that if necessary.
Army Units: 523. 192 of these are Modern Armor, 112 Mechanized Infantry, and 41 are native Workers. We have 14 Armies and 29 Hoplites.
Connected Resources: 210. We have the most Rubber (29), Oil (26), Saltpeter (23) and Horses (23). Aluminum (5) is our least-common Strategic Resource, and Furs (4) is our least common luxury. Incense (13) and Gems (9) are our most common luxuries.
Most Productive City: Madras, at 95 shields per turn. Our top ten cities are all 75 shields or more. Madras is on the west coast of India and was conquered multiple times, first during the wars with India.
Most Commercial City: Paris, at 165 commerce per turn. Paris is on the east coast of Australia, and was conquered from France. It also is tied with Ephesus (on the east coast of India) for most gold to the treasury, at 113 per turn.
Most Scientific City: Amsterdam, in Indonesia, at 73 science per turn. It is home to the SETI program. Note that this is at 40% science - it would be 182 science at 100% research, but that is pointless right now.
Most Populous City: Camulodunum, in southern Egypt along the Nile. It is size 30, with a population of 4,680,000. It's still growing quickly, too!

Only 95 spt? Surely there's a better spot in the world than that. :p

4 turn research with 40% Science????

"Thank you, thank you. It has been quite an evening. Ten years ago, it seemed quite optimistic to think Greece would control the world by now. Some thought it would take as long as 2037. And now here we are, at peace and controlling the world."

A not so subtle dig at my pessimistic side?

Oh well, glad to see it got worked in some how!

Nice wrap up, also nice to see that there finally was another name for the King instead of just Alexander again and again and again.

Nice end post Quint ... only downside is what am I to read now lol ....

Thanks again. Discussion on recent topics:

Well I'm a bit late.

YEAH! You finished! The conquest of the Americans was most memorable. Congratulations!

And forever (or at least a long time) shall be remembered that HOPLITES RULE! :king:

And the lurker dissapears again. I really should post more often.

An Empire Building Lombax

Welcome on board!

Psst! Quint! Check this out!

*Walks away whistling nonchalantly*

Looks like it could be interesting, but you do need better documentation. At least outlining the most signficant changes. Makes it more likely someone will download it if they see the major changes than if they have to download it/read all the comments to figure out what the changes are.

:woohoo::woohoo:woohoo:

Quint is victorious! And he was victorious with hoplites, just as I suggested! Huzzah!

Ryyrk, I accept credit cards, checks, cash, or paypal ;)

And yet... I notice nobody has said this yet. You must all be waiting for me.

THIS..... IS.....
SPARTAAAAA!!!!!

Daniel Khan's hometown is Sparta. And I've been to Sparta, Ohio. Haven't been to Sparta, Greece, though :(.

I misread that as "papaya".

Hey Quint, want a nice ripe fruit basket full of papaya for your victory?

I rather like the sweet variety of papayas. If I remember that's the Mexican variety. The spicy variety (Incan I believe) is a bit spicy for fruit for me. Papaya are a valid Civ3 fruit, though - it's tropical fruit! Imagine the poor citizens of Civ4, only having bananas as tropical fruit. Such lack of variety! Though at least bananas are a very good tropical fruit.

:lol:

Congratulations, Quint! I signed up to CFC because of your story, and I do not regret it :goodjob: Great story!

I remember people doubting wheter you were going to finish before 2050 or
not. I guess you proved them wrong ;)

There was a time when I was not sure I'd finish by 2050. But Bombers and Tanks sped things up more than I'd remembered.

(Whistles) (Kingfire87 Turns to the kidsgathered around him). "This, children, is what we call staggering."

Very impressive stats! :D

Thanks! I'm sure there's been better stats before, but most of those are the highest I've had yet. Course no corruption and 180x180 map does help. PTW cut that down to 160x160 for huge, for turn-time reasons.

Commerce and Industry in particular I'm sure I have not had higher, even with Democracy/Republic. Population I know I've had higher (approx 189 million), and Land Area I'm not sure. Probably have had higher at some point. I'm still only at 83% of the total.

Only 95 spt? Surely there's a better spot in the world than that. :p

4 turn research with 40% Science????

I'm sure there is a greater max shield per turn somewhere. Madras itself could be higher - it has a Hydro Plant (courtesy of Hoover Dam) rather than a nuclear plant. Istanbul is a particularly worthy contender for most shields. It currently produces 78 shields with a nuclear plant at size 9. Most of my new cities I'm leaving all the AI irrigation to target population rather than shields (since I'm already double my previous record) but I might shield most of Istanbul's tiles to see how high it gets.

Karachi is another possibility, with both iron and coal in nearby mountains and a good amount of grassland for irrigation. But I already built the Iron Works at the mouth of the Nile.

Finally, my favorite location on this map is in northwest Africa near Lugdunum, allowing Iron, Coal, Horses, and Wheat, along with many hills and grasslands and a few mountains. But Lugdunum was one tile too far from the coal, and with the Sistine Chapel in Lugdunum, it wasn't worth relocating for uber shields.

As to 4-turn science at 40%...that's right. And that's almost exclusively from city research rather than scientists. Of course, no corruption does help a lot here.

A not so subtle dig at my pessimistic side?

Oh well, glad to see it got worked in some how!

Nice wrap up, also nice to see that there finally was another name for the King instead of just Alexander again and again and again.

:mischief: It just happened to work into the story well. I try not to put too specific of references in the story to specific users or events in comments, so if someone is reading it without reading the commentary they won't wonder where something came from, but this went in well even considering that.

Nice end post Quint ... only downside is what am I to read now lol ....

Wikipedia is rather large. Good place to start.

As for CivIII stories, try The Rise of the Moraie, My First Diety Game, The terrain-unwise Romans, The Unluckiest Lucky Start, Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik, One More Turn Theatre, all of ThERat's Monster Map games, and Crowded House. Pax Romana and The Vanguard also have very good reputations, though I haven't read them yet (or at least all of them). Also look through the recommended thread - there's quite a few
there.

It does seem we're in a bit of a low ebb for number of Civ3 stories right now, but 2CC+1 Continents Game was just started, so we may be coming out of that low tide. There's also the Civ4 section - between writing and reading the Civ3 ones I haven't had time to explore those much but I'm sure there's some good ones.

Or try Cape Town-Vladivostok Express for a short Civ1 story.

Just because I've achieved Conquest of the World doesn't mean I'm finished, though. I'll be back.

I have read quite a lot of the CivIII stories you mentioned. I like Unluckiest and do post a fair bit in there. Like a lot of people I love One More turn but it just doesnt keep going. The Vanguard is pretty good, nad I worked my wat through the Index of Legendary stories .. But I have really enjoyed Conquest .. thank you.

Yeah, OMTT often has long breaks, and Vanguard hasn't been updated in about 4 and a half months. :rolleyes:

Looks like it could be interesting, but you do need better documentation. At least outlining the most signficant changes. Makes it more likely someone will download it if they see the major changes than if they have to download it/read all the comments to figure out what the changes are.

King of the lazy reporting for duty sir!

I'll see what I can do if I can remember it all.:rolleyes:

I personally see a Jason and the Argonauts possibility. Finished conquering the world, they turn to the stars in the GSS Argos.

Pax Romana is amazing, but it hasn't been updated since November. Though with how long it is, if you start now there might be an update when you finish.

Pax Romana is amazing, but it hasn't been updated since November. Though with how long it is, if you start now there might be an update when you finish.
:lol: Now THAT was funny!

Top Bottom