Conquest of the World

I don't care for the actually difficulty and I don't think less of story writers who tell a story based on a chieftan game. If the story is a good read I will read it. Granted I generally find the best stories come from Regent and above just because the AI tend to be able to field more units and build things faster/same speed as a human.

Ok back on topic... If you've read Daftpanzer's Celtic Peacekeepers story, he managed to keep us entertained for a long time until he finally lost interest himself as he got so powerful there was no point anyone to peacekeep. Granted his was playing his own victory condition, which was to project his power to other Civs, and not taking them over (its more abstract and probably better suited for a story with made up politcians and kings and emperors with motivations). Daftpanzer's story was a true Roman rise. He'd fight his neighbour as they were a threat, once defeated he's find himself facing a new neighbour which now becomes his new threat. There were several wars between 'equals' (ok not really equals but fairly large AI civs) which proved interesting.

My feedback was that lacking this tension I lost interest in the story. It's very monotonous to finish a conquest game when I'm so powerful and you can imagine the read for me was not as fun as I wished (Quint still has a great writing style and lots of pictures helped).

At the end of the day, we sort of know 'wink wink' that in stories like this, the human player is usually never in true peril, but having wars fare horribly, major setbacks in global strategic alliances, landing forces wiped out, an AI neighbour expand in size all add the necessary tension and drama to the stories. At least thats what I like anyways.

India could have provided that, the problem was they started too close and was knocked off too early. Greece post Indian and French conquest was so large that the AIs never stood a chance! Maybe an always war mod with him at war with every civ would be nicer!

Always War vs. 30 Civs is suicide if you're not 2-3 levels above the level you're playing at.

India really was the last true challenge he ever got, but don't forget about how strong Persia once was. Fortunately for Quint, THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Congrats [party]Quintillus on the best Civ 3 story I have ever read:goodjob:. You have inspired me to write one of my own.
Also, its creepy about how many people posted their first posts on your thread :wow:.

I have read this story from beggining to end and really loved it. However, when I tried to recreate your story, it turned out alot worse than what happened to you.

So, nice job and keep up the good work. ;)

For those of you who'd be interested in a follow-up on this, I've begun The Colonization of Mars over in the Alpha Centauri forum. It's just beginning, so if you hop on ship soon on you may be one of the lucky/unfortunate colonists.

Quint you continue the tradition of very nice After action reports with this story though my only feedback to you is that you should have done this on Monarch at least.

Would have loved to see the Greeks go up against an AI superpwer runaway and see the ensuing slugfest.

I agree, as it turned out a higher difficulty would have been nice. The problem is you never know what'll happen beforehand - if someone had went crazy in the Americas, or even parts of the Old World, I could have found myself facing a very powerful opponent. My new story is only on the equivalent of Regent (at least productivity-wise, not sure if it is otherwise :shifty:), but I've never actually played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri before, so I'm expecting some unpleasant surprises and for it to be more of a challenge.

For those of you who'd be interested in a follow-up on this, I've begun The Colonization of Mars over in the Alpha Centauri forum. It's just beginning, so if you hop on ship soon on you may be one of the lucky/unfortunate colonists.

Congrats, Quintillus on your victory! :);):D:p:blush: I personally know how hard it is to complete a story thread, especially one as long as this one. Its been two years this April since you started this story, and what a great read throughout! I will definitely have to check out your Alpah Centauri story! I played that game a couple of thimes but don't own it. I wish there was a way that you could import a Space Race finish saved game from Civ 3 into Alpha Centauri and continue a game - now that would be fun!

This thread will never stop being multi-month bumped. :lol:

Wow... great story.

Sadly I only have Civ 2: Test of Time, but basically the same rules apply. So how exactly do you advance the GNP and the Economy?? That's sort of what I'm stuck on in my games... :blush::blush::blush:

Again?????

My new story is only on the equivalent of Regent (at least productivity-wise, not sure if it is otherwise :shifty:), but I've never actually played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri before, so I'm expecting some unpleasant surprises and for it to be more of a challenge.

Watch out for the pink goo :thumbsup:

Maybe this thread needs closed and a commentary thread be started where new (and old) fans can post their comments and questions. I think alot of our best finished threads could use the same idea. Make the last post with a link to the commentary thread. Just an idea.

I'm sorry about bumping this thread, but Quintillus, will it be possible to re-upload the pictures?

The ones where his bandwith was exceeded? Don't worry, that will reset after a while.

Top Bottom