Conspiracy theory subscription

Do you subsribe to one or more conspiracy theories?

• Total voters
Lockesdonkey: This global warming crisis is much like the 'Global Cooling' crisis of the '70s, where many people were convinced with scientific evidence that carbon dioxide was cooling the atmosphere and would plunge the world into the next Ice Age.

Of course, that didn't happen.

As for my view on this, I believe we should still eliminate carbon emissions solely for aesthetic and health purposes.

Bingo! Glad to see you haven't follow for the great global warming swindle via carbon Taxes!:thumbsup:

Bingo! Glad to see you haven't follow for the great global warming swindle via carbon Taxes!:thumbsup:

Again, this relies on unsupported assertions, namely those you made in your original post. Warrants, please.

P.S.
Again, learn grammar and capitalization. Unless you're pulling everyone's leg...

Lockesdonkey: This global warming crisis is much like the 'Global Cooling' crisis of the '70s, where many people were convinced with scientific evidence that carbon dioxide was cooling the atmosphere and would plunge the world into the next Ice Age.

Of course, that didn't happen.

Why is this myth of a "Global Cooling crisis" perpetuated when it was debunked already on this very forum? It never was even really in the media: there was one or two TIME/NEWSWEEK articles, and a couple journal articles. There never was a "crisis".

well...maybe i'm stupid but doesn't 'Global Warming" cause cooling in places because it will mess up the currents? (ie, Europe and the Gulf Stream)

I remember once before 92.3 went back to K-Rock, Cabbie did a show about global warming, and a little girl called in saying it was all BS because there's a plant growing outside her window that the sun hits sometimes and its still growing even after global warming so it must be BS. Cabbie told her to try an EasyBake Oven. That was funny.

The point is, there are natural heating and cooling cycles to the Earth, but anybody who thinks the CO2 we're putting into the atmosphere isn't doing anything is in denial if you ask me.

I believe in the vast right wing conspiracy.

I believe in the vast left wing conspiracy. Soros bought MoveOn.org and MoveOn.org apparently owns the DNC. And he did break the bank of England.

I give UFOs some credence. After all there can't be just one intelligent ( which is debatable) lifeform in the Universe. Yet, there should be far more evidence I'd think, such as radio transmissions which are identifiable as intelligent in origin and some stellar phenomenon such as FTL which we haven't seen.

I think the JFK conspiracy was a conspiracy by the government to handle JFK and put it behind the country. Oswald acted alone (he was a loon anyway) and Ruby was a sad panda.

There was a conspiracy of economic warfare to bring down the USSR.

But other than that, I believe all Dinosaurs died out 65 million years or so ago and there is no Loch Ness Monster.

Man did land on the moon.

I don't give the Conspiracy theory that Lincoln was assassinated by Boothe at the behest of bankers as revenge for Lincoln printing his own money for the war effort.

I do not think 9/11 was an inside job or was allowed to happen. No demolition or laser beams.

Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack and the events outside the harbor involving a Japanese midget sub was lost in the Bureaucracy.

I don't believe in Bigfoot unless you are talking about my Uncle.

And in a few short years the Posleen will invade Earth and we are all lunch.

OJ Simpson was guilty!

To expand on myself, I believe CFC is much like the short-lived tv show, The Prisoner, in that only some posters are real and most are fake, but we do not know which ones. Of the fake posters, they are all created by either one or a small conspiracy of individuals. Some "fake" posters are discontinued to mask what happens to the "real" posters- any real poster who begins to figure out who the other real posters are become banned from cfc forever. Just to throw the real posters off, some old discontinued posters start showing up again, people that were forgotten for months or years, but we don't know if they were real and now fake or were fake and still fake!

To add to the fun, some posters are not even controlled by the human conspirators. Some "fake" posters are randomly generated artificial intelligences (with random personalities and traits), or are simply spam-bots. Not all high up posters are made up though: some real posters are moderators, and perhaps even the highest of them all, thunderfall, is real, but there are fake posters among CFC.

A Conspiracy (or believed Conspiracy) does not = Conspiracy theory. A Conspiracy theory refers to things like 9/11 was a inside job, the moon landing was faked, the NWO, or the fed was made by bankers to control America.

:confused: What is the difference? If a conspiracy exists but is not known then you have a conspiracy theory.

I'm with Narz. If "conspiracy theory" is (re!)interpreted to mean "lunatics' theory", it deprives the term of useful meaning. If you want to talk about lunatic theories, use those words.

9-11 was a conspiracy: 19 guys with box cutters, plus others, conspired to take control of a bunch of aircraft at approximately the same time. They took measures to keep the existence of their cells secret.

I'm with Narz. If "conspiracy theory" is (re!)interpreted to mean "lunatics' theory", it deprives the term of useful meaning. If you want to talk about lunatic theories, use those words.

9-11 was a conspiracy: 19 guys with box cutters, plus others, conspired to take control of a bunch of aircraft at approximately the same time. They took measures to keep the existence of their cells secret.

That's how people interpret and use the term "conspiracy theory" in everyday life. It's like the word b#tch. The cultural interpretation of the term b*tch is unambiguous. Look here at the wiki page for the word B*tch. They have a whole big page for the word. Yet just one sentence saying it means female dog. There are many words and terms used today that go beyond the literal meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conspiracy+theory
conspiracy theory
 
–noun
1. a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group.
2. the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.
The informal terminology of the words conspiracy theory are almost excursively used with relation to "lunatics' theory" like 9/11 or the moon landing. In fact i would bet you would have a difficult time finding the use of the words conspiracy theory to describe an event that was mainstream. Go ahead and find one.

Now it's the conspiracy theorist who want to "(re!)interpret" the meaning of the word. Everyone else in the world knows calling something a conspiracy theory means.

P.S.
Again, learn grammar and capitalization. Unless you're pulling everyone's leg...

How sad must your life be, when you continuously point out my "grammar/spelling" mistakes. I laugh in your face. :lol:

That's how people interpret and use the term "conspiracy theory" in everyday life. It's like the word b#tch. The cultural interpretation of the term b*tch is unambiguous. Look here at the wiki page for the word B*tch. They have a whole big page for the word. Yet just one sentence saying it means female dog. There are many words and terms used today that go beyond the literal meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conspiracy+theory The informal terminology of the words conspiracy theory are almost excursively used with relation to "lunatics' theory" like 9/11 or the moon landing. In fact i would bet you would have a difficult time finding the use of the words conspiracy theory to describe an event that was mainstream. Go ahead and find one.

Now it's the conspiracy theorist who want to "(re!)interpret" the meaning of the word. Everyone else in the world knows calling something a conspiracy theory means.
What woody says here. It's called social semiotics, the study of how signs - in this case, language - are used and interpreted socially. Conspiracy theory is used in this manner, correctly or not.

Notice that Definition #1 is the straightforward literal word-by-word meaning.

Languages change, but not all of those changes are improvements. Let's change this one meaning back.
Most changes aren't.

How sad must your life be, when you continuously point out my "grammar/spelling" mistakes. I laugh in your face. :lol:

I dislike having my language abused. I laugh in yours.

Top Bottom