Continents

MIS

Prince
We have seen seven civilizations. Three of them have continent dependent uniques (Big Stick/ Redcoat/ Garde Imperial). I don't think Civ 5 has any. Has there been any hint on how archipelago/ pangea will handle this?

You could split a pangea into different continents (e.g. Europe/ Asia/ Africa), or many different islands into one continent, but I'm wondering if we know how Civ 6 intends to do it.

We know that the game recognises land as continents, we've seen it in tooltips.

The question is, can two seperate landmasses be one single continent (i.e tiny islands near a bigger continent) and can one huge landmass be split into two seperate continents.

Yeah, are islands going to count as different continents? (They did in V, right?)

Yeah, are islands going to count as different continents? (They did in V, right?)

That would break a few things. Likely they'll be generated in chains. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Not just Civ V, but at least as far back as Civ II, everything that had an effect on the continent was coded for the specific landmass it was on, no matter how small or big.

eg. In Civilization V real map, some of the continents were:

1. Eurasia, including Africa, but not including any islands offshore.
2. Americas
3. Australia
4. Greenland
5. Britain, on smaller scales this included Ireland because the sea tile went away.
6. Japan; because on all scales the islands ran together.

We know that the game recognises land as continents, we've seen it in tooltips.

The question is, can two seperate landmasses be one single continent (i.e tiny islands near a bigger continent) and can one huge landmass be split into two seperate continents.

Seeing as the engine was built from the ground up for civ6, I think there's good chances "continent" will encompass little islands as well, maybe even archipielagos being counted as a single continent.

No idea on the single landmass (I imagine you mean like Eurasia), I think they wouldnt go that route, it's probably easier for programing they don't, and it could be really weird if you depend on continent bonuses, and you spawn really close to the continental border in the middle of a large landmass.

In my opinion it points towards being a set number of "continents" depending on map size, and then coding all land tiles onto a continent wether its the "continents" map or pangea or archipelago etc.

In my opinion it points towards being a set number of "continents" depending on map size, and then coding all land tiles onto a continent wether its the "continents" map or pangea or archipelago etc.

This is what I'm thinking also. This also answers the question: why name continents?

This is what I'm thinking also. This also answers the question: why name continents?

Because they've ALWAYS used that instead of land mass.

I don't get why everyone's so worried about that. In V there's different continent type / styles, you can make the same landmass into two different continents with "america-africa-europe-asia" continent style in the worldbuilder. You also could make a chain of islands be of the same continent type / style. There's absolutely no reason that same only stylistic feature from V couldn't be used to detect a continent. Obviously they tweaked it so it splits big continents in two and considers an island chain to be one. That would be the most logical and easy way to handle that.

If there's anything to worry about in VI, that is not it.

I don't get why everyone's so worried about that. In V there's different continent type / styles, you can make the same landmass into two different continents with "america-africa-europe-asia" continent style in the worldbuilder.

It would suck if your capital happened to be adjacent to the continental divide...

It would suck if your capital happened to be adjacent to the continental divide...

If they do it right, the continent divide will be mostly impassable with mountains, gulfs, lakes and so on - similarly to Europe/Asia border starting with Ural Mountains, then to Caspian Sea and so on.

They're really running with the "continent" abilities this time.

It looks like things may become a little more restricted and Continents type maps will really be the standard map types to play on for a balanced game; the extremes like Pangaea and Archipelago will fall further down and join the group of maps that are just for fun and potentially break things. Especially Archipelago, since it may also complicate things now that cities are "unstacked". (Personally, I never liked Archipelago maps anyway and never played on them, and I only played a few games on Pangaea maps to change things up.)

I'm curious to see if they develop any solutions to keep things flexible (along with a solution to islands and district gameplay).

Utilizing regions or even grouping multiple regions together to form a few mega-regions on the map for Pangaea/ Archipelago could still lead to some confusion since the boundaries may be unclear to the player. Continents are at least pretty clear to quickly figure out overall, even with small landmasses broken off them or isthmuses between them (perhaps scripts will detect these and cut them off even).

Utilizing regions or even grouping multiple regions together to form a few mega-regions on the map for Pangaea/ Archipelago could still lead to some confusion since the boundaries may be unclear to the player. Continents are at least pretty clear to quickly figure out overall, even with small landmasses broken off them or isthmuses between them (perhaps scripts will detect these and cut them off even).

Continent names in tooltips + minimap lens to highlight the borders + some main map option to display the continent borders + some natural barriers on the border like mountains and gulfs should be enough to make grouping islands and splitting pangeas clear for player.

The one thing I like from all this is the promotion of continent maps. I enjoyed continent maps. When you watch NQ or Diety players, they all played pangea. It would be nice to see players decided to do other map types just to prevent so many neighbors from having continental bonuses against them. ;p

If (as I think they will) they allow for multiple continents on the one landmass, I do hope the tile sets will be distinctive enough to tell the continents apart immediately. It would play really well into their design goal of having everything readable on the map/main screen

If (as I think they will) they allow for multiple continents on the one landmass, I do hope the tile sets will be distinctive enough to tell the continents apart immediately. It would play really well into their design goal of having everything readable on the map/main screen

Yes, forgot about different tilesets. Surely this would be a lot of help too.

Top Bottom