Copy protection in Civilization V

I certainly wouldn't support any "Single Player" Game that requires always on Internet, like some of the more heinously protected games recently. Lately I'm forced to use a Wireless connection instead of hardwired and my connection drops momentarily (on average) 2-4 times an hour.

Unless the DRM is absolutely draconian (like Ubisoft's), it probably won't stop me from buying. A CD Key or a disc check is fine with me (CD key preferred).

Unless the DRM is absolutely draconian (like Ubisoft's), it probably won't stop me from buying. A CD Key or a disc check is fine with me (CD key preferred).

Ubisoft will no longer distribute manuals with their games either. Even if you buy a boxed retail game your manual will be in PDF form. Doesn't bother me though because I just won't buy anything they release.

Looks like you are SOL. Steamworks is mandatory for Civ5. Welcome to life outside the target demographic.

no internet at all?

It appears that they only giving Babylon to people who download it via steam. Hopefully that wont stick, if they eventually release a good edition I may buy it, but it looks like I'm avoiding the initial release.

You all understand this is very non-intrusive, right? You only need the internet for the initial registration/download. After that, it works both connected to the internet and offline, you just have to keep Steam open. It's nowhere near anything Ubisoft is forcing onto its customers. It seems like people are just having the knee jerk reaction to DRM in general.

I am not an online or multiplayer gamer, so my gaming computer does not even have internet access. I don't have to run the full suite of security software, which means a lot less updating.

I will buy the game if it can be played single player without internet access, or only needs to be registered online once and never requires subsequent internet access so that the game gets a warm fuzzy that the world is still out there.

I don't pirate games, I pay for them all. I only purchase once I know the company deserves the money, and I give my money to game companies that don't assume I am a pirate.

I will buy the game if it can be played single player without internet access, or only needs to be registered online once and never requires subsequent internet access so that the game gets a warm fuzzy that the world is still out there.

You're in luck then :) Steam Games requires internet access once, at activation. As long as Steam is updated the moment you go offline, you never have to go online again (unless you buy another game, of course, or want to download some stuff for it).

It's worse for those that avoid online registrations at all costs... :(

You're in luck then :) Steam Games requires internet access once, at activation. As long as Steam is updated the moment you go offline, you never have to go online again (unless you buy another game, of course, or want to download some stuff for it).

It's worse for those that avoid online registrations at all costs... :(

If that is the case, it probably is not going to be an issue. However, until the game ships there is no way I am going to make that decision based on internet rumor. In addition to registration, if the first patch requires logging into Steam to download and install, then I will likely spend my money elsewhere. So, for this version of Civ, it looks like I will be waiting until after the first patch to decide on a purchase.

On paper, automatic patch downloads are nice, but I prefer to pick when to install patches and may opt to not install for quite some time. What I am hearing about Steam and pushed patches does not sound like something I am interested in.

So far, all the games I have that provide for automatic updates via the internet also provide a "manual" patch that I can download and put on a flash drive.

If that is the case, it probably is not going to be an issue. However, until the game ships there is no way I am going to make that decision based on internet rumor. In addition to registration, if the first patch requires logging into Steam to download and install, then I will likely spend my money elsewhere. So, for this version of Civ, it looks like I will be waiting until after the first patch to decide on a purchase.

On paper, automatic patch downloads are nice, but I prefer to pick when to install patches and may opt to not install for quite some time. What I am hearing about Steam and pushed patches does not sound like something I am interested in.

So far, all the games I have that provide for automatic updates via the internet also provide a "manual" patch that I can download and put on a flash drive.

I remember the old days, when people actually did research instead of expecting info from the internets to be spoon fed to them. We'll I'll give you some more "info".

Of the 40 games I own on steam, none of them require an continuous internet connection. This is why Ubisoft's DRM got so much press, it's a new thing.

On your point of automatic patch downloads. Steam lets you choose which games to update automatically and which ones to opt out of. Please go research some things or simply, get Steam. Its free to download and uninstall if you just want to see what its about.

Avs, you are not exactly as helpful as you think you are.

I am pretty sure that I never once mentioned a continuous internet connection, mostly because I don't think that Steam requires one, but thank you for the information, maybe someone else will find that helpful. I am actually more concerned about the nature of Steam's offline mode as will be utilized by 2K Games. Naturally, I do not expect you to be able to answer that. It is rhetorical in the context of this forum.

Your answer about patching is interesting. I have no interest in Steam and no desire to interact with Steam on a personal level. To me, Steam is not a delivery method for software and patches and it is not a means to connect me to a community. To me, it is nothing but a DRM scheme that I must deal with in order to use my legitimately purchased software. Why would I ever want to go and download it, and why must I run off and research user settings for a tool that I have no interest in? My sole interest in Steam is whether it will get out of my way and stay there. This is also something that I do not expect an answer to here. The question, such as it is, is rhetorical.

:) Product-Key is fine.
:sad: DVD in drive is annoying, but not a real problem. I'll just get the no-DVD hack to play my purchased game without DVD.
:sad: On-line registration I prefer to do without since they generally want all sorts of marking info from you along the way.
:mad: Always-online is a deal breaker. I'm a single-player anyway.

And yes, I'd consider Steam as a part of DRM and nothing more. They may be unobtrusive, but they don't add anything to the game for me. I have no use for a Steam Account and the associated marketing trap.

I once again agree, with both lordrichter and Mercade.

I am not an online or multiplayer gamer, so my gaming computer does not even have internet access. I don't have to run the full suite of security software, which means a lot less updating.

I will buy the game if it can be played single player without internet access, or only needs to be registered online once and never requires subsequent internet access so that the game gets a warm fuzzy that the world is still out there..

I can see where he got the idea that you were inferring that

Top Bottom