Coronavirus MP Challenge Part III

I've taken the liberty of making modifications to the Rules and Events files, based on our discussion. The Events are the ones Ellis did for MP, with one change. I've removed the event that has Spain declaring war on France. I think it should be up to the players to make those decisions for themselves.

Changes to the Rules include: no city population loss due to an attack or capture of a city, no stack kills, and road and river multiplier of 2. I have also attempted to change setting for when improvements are lost after the capture of a city and whether or not they can be sold. I can't seem to get that part to work, which is not the first time for me. Prof, could I get you to look at that and let me know what I've done wrong? Thanks.

Please substitute these into your scenario prior to getting started. Cheers.

Attachments

• Events.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Rules.txt
    40 KB · Views: 17
Prof, could I get you to look at that and let me know what I've done wrong? Thanks.

You have a semicolon before the flags:
Code:
Grain Store,              6,  1,    nil, ;00000111
which should not be there:
Code:
Grain Store,              6,  1,    nil, 00000111
I only checked that selling was prevented, not that destruction on capture was prevented. In any case, I'm not sure if anything different is supposed to happen when the flags are 00000110, compared to 00000000:

Code:
When set, their effects are as follows (the rightmost bit is the first):
- Bit 1: Prevents selling of the improvement.
- Bit 2: Do not destroy on city capture.
- Bit 3: Always destroy on city capture. When both this and bit 2 are set, the result is random.
That is, I don't know if "random" means use the standard destruction of either "group 1" or group 2" buildings, or if random means random individually.

Attachments

• Rules.txt
    40 KB · Views: 18
OK here we go. Austria reminds its neighbours that unmolested free trade is essential to all. Also, those nasty French peasant revolutionaries and their fake emperor should be kept in check; all applications for an anti-French Alliance are welcome.

Also, here's Gapetit's graphics pack tweaked for compatibility with the original scenario for those who can't distinquish between the itty-bitty units:

Attachments

• Aus1803may.rar
    45.7 KB · Views: 18
  • nappy2 gfx.rar
    798.9 KB · Views: 23

Russian Empire:

Emperor Alexander is gravely concerned by the potential for renewed hostilities in Europe. The Empire is in shambles, we have no income, no research, starvation and revolts in our cities.

(Been a long time, is it true that Russia is seemingly stuck with Autocracy [Despotism], can't research Monarchy. Thanks for the graphics, Fairline, much better!)

Attachments

• Rus1803may.zip
    49.1 KB · Views: 15
The British are the clear troublemakers of Europe. They foment dissension and division among the people of Europe. It is clear to the French that there can be no peace with the British. For everyone else, we welcome peace and trade. All French ports and border towns are open to free trade with all those who reciprocate for the French. Permission to send merchants inland will be granted on a case by case basis.

British Frigate sunk at (41,97).

Attachments

• French1803may.hot.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 15
Great Britain and its allies Portugal and the Electorate of Hanover welcomes every nation who will join the coalition against this little caricature of French Emperor. Don't trust him, he talks about peace and tries to conquer you.

Open trade routes are the politic of Britain so all merchants are welcome. French merchants will be arrested and the goods confiscated as long as French is hostile against us.

Attachments

• 1803mayBritain.zip
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
Curt, are you still busy or can you play your turn?

Curt was tagged in a thread a few days ago asking about his scenarios. Since he hasn't taken the time to answer that, I'm guessing he's too busy to check the forums at all. I'd just keep playing without him until he shows up.

I suppose there is an issue if Prussia is attacked before Curt can take over. How's this for a temporary mechanic? If Prussia is attacked, all players interested in controlling Prussia "bid" an amount of gold. The lowest bidder gets Prussia, and Prussia gets a gold bonus equal to the "bid." This would provide a bit of compensation for the AI's limited preparation.

Are sneak attacks allowed in this game, or do you have to wait a turn after declaring war?

Prof Garfield raises an interesting point about declaration of War, cassus belli etc. Should we include this in the game for role-playing purposes? I dunno, let's say France sneak attacks Austria (perish the thought right :D ), this gives every other nation just cause to wade in on France. What do we all think? I'm fine with it being a free-for-all if that's what everyone would prefer btw

Prof Garfield raises an interesting point about declaration of War, cassus belli etc. Should we include this in the game for role-playing purposes? I dunno, let's say France sneak attacks Austria (perish the thought right :D ), this gives every other nation just cause to wade in on France. What do we all think? I'm fine with it being a free-for-all if that's what everyone would prefer btw

I'm not sure what it would mean to have a "legitimate" cassus belli versus and illegitimate one. It would ultimately be down to the opinion of the other players. Unless only certain players are allowed to sneak attack, and others must have a legitimate reason to declare war. I think the free-for-all makes more sense.

Nah. Kinda contrived, IMHO. Unfair to poorer nations too. Let's leave it with the AI until there's something serious going on. He may surface before then.

Cologne, Mainz, and Oldenburg have fortresses, but I don't think Dortmund has one (I haven't checked the scenario set up about that), so an AI Prussia makes attacking Hannover via Dortmund a bit tempting for the French. For that matter, Russia and Austria should theoretically grab as many victory points as possible from Prussia, while it is under AI control. I'm fine with a temporary rule guaranteeing Prussian neutrality, but there is a bit of an issue if some of us think it is unsporting to conquer Prussia, while someone else sees it as cheap real estate.

If we want someone to play Prussia on a temporary basis, then it should be someone with no immediate interests in the vicinity of Prussia. Let's see. That would be....me! Seriously, if we want a steward for Prussia until the return of the King, I would volunteer on the basis that Prussia must remain neutral unless attacked. If that happens, then it would allowed to enter into alliances for its own defense only. Attacking Independent cities would be allowed, but not major powers controlled by the AI, ie. Sweden.

Historical note: In 1809, Austria launched a sneak attack on France, when Napoleon was bogged down in Spain.

I suppose Spain playing Prussia a bit is ok, it'd be a shame to have them AI where they may squander troops.

Top Bottom