Corporation Franchise should be beneficial at least.

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
If you haven't known how Corporation works, it's very simple.

Construct the Corporation HQ to develop Corporate Offices. Corporate HQ in that only one city gets bonuses from Corporate Offices. Corporate Offices get developed as buildings in the Corporate HQ's cities. Corporate Offices get their bonuses from the franchises. Corporate franchises get developed in foreign cities from cities with corporate office's trade routes. But what do Corporate Franchises get? Nothing. Franchises should at least grant +1 Respective Yield to their monopoly resource should the foreign city have it.

Can one city has more then one franchise? From two different corporations.

hmm how about this then
if you have a franchise in any of you cities, then trade routes from the franchise owner to that particular city, generate gold in that city and the trade route owner!
that way the franchise owner can decide whether they want to keep expanding their franchise to different cities, or whether to maintain a constant trade route with that particular city for extra gold!

Keep in mind that the trade route owner already gets a bonus for trade routes to cities with his franchise (if he has an office in the origin city of course).

Extending the ressource bonus to franchises would be good and logical, I think.

but then the trade route owner won't benefit.
whats the point of establishing a trade route with a city that already has your franchise in it ? you're much better off spreading it to other cities!
you establish a franchise in a city, get benefits, then look for a new city and never trade with that city again. meanwhile the city owner feels used~~
its like a one night stand xD

but then the trade route owner won't benefit.
whats the point of establishing a trade route with a city that already has your franchise in it ? you're much better off spreading it to other cities!
you establish a franchise in a city, get benefits, then look for a new city and never trade with that city again. meanwhile the city owner feels used~~
its like a one night stand xD
That's why extending at least the resource bonus of the corporation HQ's required monopoly resource would be nice. Although it would be interesting to see that competing trade routes can replace franchises.

Although it would be interesting to see that competing trade routes can replace franchises.
that sounds interesting! that way sometimes you have to maintain your trade routes with that city. also if your rival has taken over a city where you trade regularly with before you could establish your corporation, that way you have a chance to replace their franchise and take over!
Also instead of giving resource bonus, how about they gave the same bonus as the corporation, however significantly less ?
for example if the corporation gives culture, so should the franchise, but a lost less ( like a third)
Because there could be cases where those particular resources with the bonus are not available.
Or maybe, if you maintained your trade with that city, your corporation benefit could get a boost, for example 25% more culture (if its a culture corporation)

I don't see a need for a change here. Franchises help the owner and do a fine job. If I'm bombing your cities with franchises....well I am trying to beat you not give you bonuses:)

Corporate franchise can give bonus based on number corporate resources the city has access to just like in Civ 4. So it will be a double edged sword spreading your corporation to a wide and rich empire while it will be a buff to wide empires.

Guys can someone explain what means : Firaxite Corporation -> Trade Units Cannot be Pillaged(Only as result of DOW)
Cause only ur enemy can pillage trade units, and who except enemy can do that? Barbs? But when corporations started always all map are full and there is no place for barbs...

Guys can someone explain what means : Firaxite Corporation -> Trade Units Cannot be Pillaged(Only as result of DOW)
Cause only ur enemy can pillage trade units, and who except enemy can do that? Barbs? But when corporations started always all map are full and there is no place for barbs...
I'll say it in an example:
lets say you're japan and korea and china are next to you, and you have trade routes with both. in a normal situation, if china declares war on you, your trade route with china is automatically destroyed. china could also move in to a ocean/coast tile that your trade units use to go to korea and destroy your trade with korea!
however if you have that corporation, only the trade route that you have with china is destroyed, china can not destroy any other trade route that you have with any other civ other than china!
does that make sense ?

Last edited:
I'll say it in an example:
lets say you're japan and korea and china are next to you, and you have trade routes with both. in a normal situation, if china declares war on you, your trade route with china is automatically destroyed. china could also move in to a ocean/coast tile that your trade units use to go to korea and destroy your trade with korea!
however if you have that corporation, only the trade route that you have with china is destroyed, china can not destroy any other trade route that you have with any other civ other than china!
does that make sense ?
Thanks, will check in next game such situation. I don't remember exactly, but a year ago I had such situation and this don't work, AI pillage my cargo ships... but maybe I am wrong - so will check.

I don't see a need for a change here. Franchises help the owner and do a fine job. If I'm bombing your cities with franchises....well I am trying to beat you not give you bonuses:)
If I'm bombing a civilization with religion, I'm trying to beat you as well for shared religion bonus leading to a cultural victory. It's a late game religion. When you spread your religion, you help yourself more than they do. What stops them from adopting some other religion and purging your beliefs because it doesn't suit their need?

Same for Corporate Franchises. All franchises do is be a burden on you because they incur a maintenance cost of 1 Gold while only benefiting the founder of the corporation. And the concept is that it's a first come, first serve means you begin prioritizing cities that will become your one-night franchise stands means there is no competition for corporations to compete and thus thrive. Besides, the only civilization that can actually stop your franchise is Japan if they haven't traded with you at all because they probably don't want your filthy corporate hands on their country. Besides, if religion can change in a city, so should a franchise. A religion can benefit a city, so should a corporation franchise.

That's how it used to work, did something change?
Provides too little. +1 Gold to their specific monopoly resource.

I'll make three strong arguments on why corporate franchises should be beneficial.
1. They cost maintenance, but provide nothing to you. This allows players with corporations to hurt you at least with a meager -1 gold maintenance.
2. Using 1 as a base point, players with corporations basically snowball/runaway the more franchises they have. If you have franchises in your cities, at least you get to mooch off some of that runaway effect should they be beneficial.
3. Considering that the Corporation concept was inspired by Civ IV's Corporations and Civ IV Franchises actually benefited any cities regardless of ownership. This is the main reason why franchises should at least provide some bonuses to the civilization because +1 Gold is a joke if you want to stop runaway civs.

Not to mention it's a kicker in the balance that if you continue trading to the same city that now has your franchise. The Corporation gets additional bonuses. Let's make it so that franchises actually make you decide if you want to trade to that civilization or not.. or trade to that weak civilization to help boost him or her up!

Last edited:
I'll agree that franchise's should be beneficial to both sides. I also think the idea of franchise's being replaced is interesting. I think the analogy of comparing franchise spread to religion spread is accurate. However unlike the religion game there isn't an inquisitor to purge unwanted pressure (however a franchise city can still have an office in it so it's not a perfect analogy).

I think at the very least the franchise trade route bonus should be a two way deal it makes the franchise less of a punishment and encourages the target to keep trading with the sender. You don't just plop a McDonald's into China then forget about it!

Top Bottom