COTM 05 Pre-Game Discussion

grs said:
@ainwood: Just a personal opinion, but I think this month you did set us up perfect for a pre-game discussion. This regards not only to the ammount of information given, but also to the timing of giving it :thumbsup:
:blush: Thanks! It was based on the feedback from the 'planning games in advance', and I think the predator discussions increased the interest. I will also try to get the COnquest / Predator class details out sooner too. :)

I'm going to play Open class this time and take the "Ancient Age conquest" challenge :) Without much of a UU that should be interesting enough without going Predator ;)

I'm going to try to win with just horsemen, other than a Chasqui to trigger a GA of course. If there aren't horses in the starting region I'll have to start with something else of course.

If there's an occupied one tile island I may switch to Domination, otherwise I will try for Conquest.

My research path will be to Monarchy. I'm playing some practice starts now to check out research approaches, particularly to get a feel for whether going via Philosophy seems a good thing or not.

SirPleb said:
I'm going to play Open class this time and take the "Ancient Age conquest" challenge :)

O my... (Ainwood - look what you did!).
I was just about to post a question addressed to SirPleb asking him if he is still planing to go for conquest with such predator conditions.
I hade no idea that SirPleb will break the rule.
Welcome to Open class - SirPleb :hatsoff:

solenoozerec said:
O my... (Ainwood - look what you did!).
I was just about to post a question addressed to SirPleb asking him if he is still planing to go for conquest with such predator conditions.
I hade no idea that SirPleb will break the rule.
Welcome to Open class - SirPleb :hatsoff:
The ancient-age conquest conditions that SirPleb is pursuing are probably much more of an obstacle than the predator conditions I've imposed ;)

solenoozerec said:
I want to note that my going Open isn't related to the current discussion about Predator class. I just want to try this conquest with ancient units challenge while there's a chance at it (a Regent game) and I'm not brave enough to try it with this month's Predator obstacles :)

ainwood said:
The ancient-age conquest conditions that SirPleb is pursuing are probably much more of an obstacle than the predator conditions I've imposed ;)

It sounds a little like Iron and Horses could be in very short supply :cry:
Or perhaps we are on an island surrounded by ocean, and the rest of the civs are on the Pangea! :lol:

Sirpleb - still going with ancient age conquest or has ainwood put you off? :) :)

sheesh, posted too slow.

Lord British said:
It sounds a little like Iron and Horses could be in very short supply :cry:
Or perhaps we are on an island surrounded by ocean, and the rest of the civs are on the Pangea! :lol:

Sirpleb - still going with ancient age conquest or has ainwood put you off? :) :)

sheesh, posted too slow.
Don't read too much in to what I posted. I was simply meaning that by constraining himself to the ancient age, this is a bigger obstacle than I could have provided under predator.

Ancient age conquest would be a pretty good effort on any map, regardless of resources placements. The key thing will be to prevent the AI getting too far into the middle-ages, and any civs that have a 3-defense UU (carthage, rome, greece etc) could slow things down as well.

It was the Wink at the end of your post that made me think you had something devious up your sleeve. :D

Having looked at some of Sirplebs saved games I don't think his self imposed restrictions will pose much of an obstacle to him. Given a possible cattle start and access to iron or horses i'm inclined to believe that his ancient age conquest or domination will be achieved! :)

IIRC, somewhere in the forums someone a long time ago actually posted the code that determines what you can get from a hut. The code stated that if the unit that popped the hut was a scout then you were guaranteed not to get barbs. If you poped the hut with anything else all bets were off. So, to avoid barbs, a scout must be used to do any hut popping (and the Inca's UU is considered a scout for hut popping purposes).

As I have actually played a full game as the Incas, I can assure everyone that the UU is easily worth the cost compared to warriors and/or regular scouts. Why you ask? It can RUN AWAY from a non-fast unit. A regular scout will die if it's breathed on and a warrior either lives or dies. Until horsemen, (or charriots) these scouts can live to run away.

Numdydar said:
The code stated that if the unit that popped the hut was a scout then you were guaranteed not to get barbs.

I was under the impression that expansionist civs couldn't get barbs from a hut period. I've certainly never seen it happen.

jordanandsteph said:
Isn't it October 1st yet somewhere
"Tradition" means it gets posted about 7:00 PM NZ time on the 1st = (about) midnight on the 30th / 31st Central US time. That's the time zone for the server. Also means I don't have to up 'til midnight to post, and that I can post it when I get home from work, which is always useful. ;)

ainwood said:
Edit - Ignore previous silly comment. ;)

Conquest class: Start with a second scout (normal, not chasqui). They also get an extra 50 gold.

Predator class: AI Unit support increased to emperor level, All AI Start with 4 defensive units and 2 offensive ones.
I've been playing around with this a bit today, and think that emperor-level free unit support might be a bit unbalancing. I will reduce it to Monarch free support.

SirPleb said:
I want to note that my going Open isn't related to the current discussion about Predator class. I just want to try this conquest with ancient units challenge while there's a chance at it (a Regent game) and I'm not brave enough to try it with this month's Predator obstacles :)

I understood that. It will be highly difficult to play “Ancient Age Conquest” on predator level. I understand your choice, it is just that I thought that predator is more important for you. I will try to play AAC too, though, I will abandon this idea if I will feel that it is to hard.

Lord British said:

In this case I will not even try :lol:

ainwood said:
The key thing will be to prevent the AI getting too far into the middle-ages, and any civs that have a 3-defense UU (carthage, rome, greece etc) could slow things down as well.

That is why I am not sure that picking goody huts is a good idea and I hoped for removed expansionist trait in predator class.

Lord British said:
i'm inclined to believe that his ancient age conquest or domination will be achieved! :)

I am also sure that SirPleb will achive it (not sure about myself:( )

ainwood said:
I will reduce it to Monarch free support.

Now I need to make a difficult choice between trying AAC and first predator...
Will decide tomorrow :sleep:

I hope those rivers and furs will stay where they were when I wake up... and I will be dreaming about a cow :cow:... How pervertive someone may become because of visiting this forum too often? :mad:

The mayas 04 save was my first( and very weak) attempt, It is still very fun and the best game i have ever seen. I have been playing with AI on my game on the lower levels(what a mistake!) This is great and look forward for more COTM, i didn't send in my first one (04) i got waxed!! my name should be notcivmurr.

Arrrr, what a blast. I'm gone a year and return to see this bizarre regent AAC challenge. Solenzoozerec (what the heck does that mean anyway?), I'll join you in the open class AAC challenge so that you can compete against someone other than SirPleb. Feel better? I hope we make it!

Top Bottom