COTM 25 Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator

COTM 25 - Persia

Persia is one of my favorite civs - scientific, industrious, and immortals are pretty cool.

Civilization: Persia (Unique Unit = Immortal 4,2,1).
Rivals: 7 pre-selected.
Barbarians: Raging.
Difficulty: monarch
Land Form: pangea, 60% ocean, standard map.
Geology: 3 billion years old, wet, temperate

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
  1. Start with a bonus worker.

Predator-Class Equalisers:
  1. AIs each start with an extra settler & worker.

If I have ever seen a luxury problem this is the one. I want it all: the cow, the wine, the riverbank and the bg's. But I can't get all, so how to choose???

Worker will go straight to the wine, settler 1 NE of the wine. Second town will be either 1 NW of the original start location, or 1N 1NW. Definately not going to try an Immortal rush, too much space for such a slow moving UU.

Redbad said:
If I have ever seen a luxury problem this is the one. I want it all: the cow, the wine, the riverbank and the bg's. But I can't get all, so how to choose???

Well, I may be showing off my newbieness here, but why choose? Delay gratification and have both.

Settle in place. It's on a hill and a good place for a settler factory. If you just gotta have the BG, move East and settle, either one gives you the river. One of the first two settlers goes North and founds a city with the cow in its radius. The other goes to the wine.

OK, here's the part where everybody tells me what's wrong with that. :)

Settling in place will mean no food bonus, which is critical for a settler factory. Im going to gamble finding another food bonus near the wine, hoping that most others go to the cow. And, instead of moving my worker straight to the wine, im going to move him to the mountian 1 NE of my planned capital location.

IMO,
we reside in west of the world map, so settler shoule move east. and think of the gold mine.
in order to not waste BG, ne or se,s to settle.
for a not risky play, 4000BC worker east and settler ne,
3950BC work south to view map on mountain.
if nothing interesting happen, settler found capital.

Wasting a bg wouldn't be a problem with so many around. So settling north for max growth shouldn't be discarded.
But my favorite city location is NE.
That's a perfectly fine 6-turn immortal (or any other combination of 30sh)-settler factory at size 4.8-6.8.
And we have 4 river BGs for lots of commerce.
I don't see any benefit in wandering any further.

now, will anyone beat this with a mere immortal rush? I will try though that is slow... :lol:

Definitely going for 20k. Map looks to good not to. Settling NW or NE, and getting at least 7 extra production spaces. City 2 will be probably founded south near wines, and be the head of the military production. Mountains are close, so there's a good chance of iron. (If very lucky-maybe even Iron Works) These last 2 maps have been great!

ThERat said:
now, will anyone beat this with a mere immortal rush? I will try though that is slow... :lol:

I certainly will be and for the most part I'll be using regulars.

I'll start with a six turner on the cow. I'll produce vet warriors in all my early towns. I'll set up a small core and look for iron.

Research wise I will start with potts and then do a min run on iron working. When that comes in I will shut off research so I can upgrade my warriors.

I will play the whole game in despotism and work all corrupt towns at size 1 rushing an immortal whenever they get 2 pop and 10 shields.

After setting up the core workers will be used to build roads towards by enemies.

Hopefully someone will build me artemis and I'll win by dom. Pyramids and Sun Tzu would also be nice.

This will be the first time I get to play Persia, ever. I have heard so much about this unique unit, so I will plan for 20K city and massive early wars to deny others any wonders.
Wait. Who am I kidding? I never stick to a long term plan and I am not an early warmonger.:blush:
Where to settle? Feel like we can afford to waste some turns. So either NE settle SW of Cattle or NE of wine.

So which way do I go????????????? You meany Ainwood.;)

We have an abundance of riches to choose from. I could think of worse problems to have...

Bonus food to the north. Bonus food to the south. A river in the middle. I would like to move north and settle next to the cow. Worker to cow. Immortal rush and go for dom.

Persia has always been one of my favorite Civ 3 civs. Their UU and traits suit my play style. Imagine, Medieval Infantry on turn 15...

The map is pretty damn big at standard, so by the time I get around to conquering that last civ, their tech might make Immortals inferor. In that case go for domination. Sometimes it's quicker and easier to go for a Conquest Victory. But my civving ability is pretty much limited to pursuing those two victory conditions because that is what I find most fun.

klarius said:
But my favorite city location is NE.
That's a perfectly fine 6-turn immortal (or any other combination of 30sh)-settler factory at size 4.8-6.8.

NE was my spontaneous choice, too. I then counted and saw what you mean. Not bad.

However, for that you need to mine four BG's and the Gold mountain. Growth pattern 2-4-4-2-4-4 fpt surplus. Which way would you lead the water to the Cattle? Irrigate BG and then mine?

And that's a whole lot of Worker actions. Industrious is only 50% faster in Conquests. With so much commerce and the Sling-Shot, we'd soon be in Republic with five food units per turn from the Cattle tile. But I think there's a five-turn Immortal-Settler Factory in Republic also. Size 5-7, growth pattern 5-5-5-2-3 or 5-5-4-2-4. Same tiles plus the Hill.

We'll also need to consider getting the first Settler out for the Wine location and getting at least one more Worker out a.s.a.p.

I miss a fact that NE captial lose the river-side trait.
hard to choose.

@Piu
We don't need the mountain. 4 mined BGs Cow and city center is all we need for 10sh.
I haven't worked out the exact sequence, but thinking currently about granary-worker first (no early warrior). And only the second worker will bring the water to the cow.
Slingshot? Do we really need republic?

@archphoenix
Any capital on the river will be much weaker than a capital which has the cow.
For what do you need the river.
Growing to 7 is not necessary for a long time for this power location.

klarius said:
Slingshot? Do we really need republic?

Don't know. 60% standard size pangaea with slow Immortals -- could take some time. And there are victory conditions other than conquest.

klarius said:
I don't see any benefit in wandering any further.

klarius said:
Growing to 7 is not necessary for a long time for this power location..

yes.it's out of my habit, but it's true. thanks!

hof is different with gotm.
which HOF player always choose powerful start location.

I like the river start, will probably go SSE to settle next to the wine along the river. SSW appears too mountainous. Second city would be 3N, next to the cow, trying to establish ring-4.

Top Bottom