Crashes, Crashes and More Crashes

Crashes greatly reduced the last couple patches; I am on xbox one X

sounds like I am the unicorn

I am not completely sure but as far as I remember, I had the last complete game without at least one crash in September 2020.

Yes, I've had more crashes since the patch, greater load times, and a lot of lag.

Just curious...how, exactly, does one bypass the launcher?

Not literal crashes, but I had to force quit my game twice due to getting stuck on a turn processing the AI moves. Like, the little globe in the corner was spinning for five minutes kind of stuck. At the point of the game I was in (standard size map in the Medieval era), I this usually takes no longer than 10 seconds.

Playing on Windows 10 with all official content owned/enabled, no mods enabled.

Yeah, I have a lot of crashes as well. One of them was shortly after I built my capital at a great spot, right next to mount roriama. I met Peter on turn 2 and three turns later he attacked me with his warriors and a slinger. Then the game crashed. I believe Fireaxes made a build-in rage quit simulator.

So as an update, I have not been able to get through more than a few turns without the game crashing. Am I the only one experiencing this? Not sure what's going on.

This is on top of the longer load time and lag. Is there some setting that's causing this?

After the April patch I have longer loading time and lag, too. But no crashes yet, whatsoever. PS4, though.

I crash after every hour or so now. Also sometimes get weird slowdowns. Never had it before this stupid new launcher was introduced, so going to disable that and see what happens.

Of course, all are encouraged to log bugs with the vendor. I believe a key part of the issue relates to what platform you are running on, rather than mods or source code defects. Particularly with the many comments concerning hangs or CTDs during AI processing. This is when I see problems on an Alienware m17 R3 platform. This machine runs its CPU core at high temperatures, and autothrottles CPU processing when they spike to 100 degrees C (sure glad chips aren't made of H2O!)(And don't even think of turning off throttling unless you want to melt your machine down to silicon slag). Civ6 is especially good at ramping all 8 cores to > 95 C and therefore its threads get throttled all the time. Other games will tend to do this as well (it's why you get a gaming platform) but *only Civ6* has a problem handling the throttling. The utility "CPUID HWMonitor" shows that Civ6 slams against the 100 C limit especially during the AI turn processing. The Civ6 app simply doesn't handle having its (multi)thread processing throttled and may lose control during multithread context switching.

The Civ6 Dev/QA team really need to benchmark against gaming platforms that implement heat driven throttling.

Of course, all are encouraged to log bugs with the vendor. I believe a key part of the issue relates to what platform you are running on, rather than mods or source code defects. Particularly with the many comments concerning hangs or CTDs during AI processing. This is when I see problems on an Alienware m17 R3 platform. This machine runs its CPU core at high temperatures, and autothrottles CPU processing when they spike to 100 degrees C (sure glad chips aren't made of H2O!)(And don't even think of turning off throttling unless you want to melt your machine down to silicon slag). Civ6 is especially good at ramping all 8 cores to > 95 C and therefore its threads get throttled all the time. Other games will tend to do this as well (it's why you get a gaming platform) but *only Civ6* has a problem handling the throttling. The utility "CPUID HWMonitor" shows that Civ6 slams against the 100 C limit especially during the AI turn processing. The Civ6 app simply doesn't handle having its (multi)thread processing throttled and may lose control during multithread context switching.

The Civ6 Dev/QA team really need to benchmark against gaming platforms that implement heat driven throttling.

This is exactly what is happening to me. The game freezes during the AI phase, or during vote tallies. My laptop is also heating up immensely more than it used to, and the throttling I set is kicking in.

So as an update, I have not been able to get through more than a few turns without the game crashing. Am I the only one experiencing this? Not sure what's going on.

This is on top of the longer load time and lag. Is there some setting that's causing this?

Have you disabled the launcher? The launcher caused me quite a few crashes until I disabled it.

It's horrible. I used to get a crash once every several hours or so of continuous gameplay. But ever since the last patch, I can barely get through an hour of gameplay before getting a crash.

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0xffffffff

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

^ is the most common thing I get too which boggles my mind.

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0xac

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

All these things look the same, except the address on this one is different and much longer

Have you disabled the launcher? The launcher caused me quite a few crashes until I disabled it.

Just disabled the new launcher and managed to play without crashing. Hope that fixed it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem and I can’t seem to bypass the launcher (I’ve tried and for some reason it just doesn’t work). I’ve turned off barbarian clans, that seems to have stopped the crashes.

all settings to full, 2 other games running in parallel... no crashes

I had two or three freezes in my last game. That's new. And submerged tiles still showed as landtiles. Restarting the game fixed that though.

No crashes, but I did get stuck eternally in between turns waiting for the next turn to start. It was with UI mods and launcher bypassed. Thankfully I eventually overcame the issue by refusing to accept delegation with a newly found AI, because doing that introduced me to another AI, and that was apparently sufficient to confuse the game enough to eternally load.

I'll try that. I know for fact that my last couple crashes coincided with delegations from new ais...

Top Bottom