[GS] Creating first Leader -- questions

ewindmill

Chieftain
Howdy,

I'm about to start creating a Leader / Civ. It's my first mod. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I don't need any technical help (yet), but I have a few general questions:

- Can leaders have more than one unique district, unit, etc?
I'd like to add more details for details sake, as in changing names, etc.

- Can you easily create two leaders with slightly tweaked details from a base configuration?

- Are mods that are created for GS backwards compatible?

- Are there any good leader 'templates' out there that can be edited rather than working from scratch?

This is going to be my first game mod ever. I had to buy a PC because the SDK is windows only. Any solicited pointers is also appreciated.

You'll note from my other post that I am a beginner, also - but in the spirit of trying to help I will try and share my two cents.

ewindmill said:
Are there any good leader 'templates' out there that can be edited rather than working from scratch?

Personally, I started my journey in ModBuddy by downloading a 'new civilization w/ leader' template, as suggested in this video series (by Keniisu - who I believe frequents these forums):

This pretty much gave me all of the fundamental structure and code to look at that I needed to go from there. The example template, if I recall, is based on another custom civilization (Romania) and includes some custom modifiers and whatnot. FWIW, I found that the format in the Localisation files included (Civilization and Leader) was not accepted in my game - I had to use single-quotes instead of double-quotes.

Beyond this, I read through the tutorials at https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ6-modding-tutorials-reference.555/. The ones on modifiers/dynamic modifiers. Caveat: I made a mess of my mod after reading this. But that’s a brain failure on my part. The theory all made sense as I read it!

ewindmill said:
Can you easily create two leaders with slightly tweaked details from a base configuration?

I haven't got this far on my journey, but I do note that in the template files I mention above, there is a section commented-out that looks like an extension designed to support further leaders. I haven't explored it, but the section is in the Civilization_Config.sql file, near the foot. I am pretty sure if you get as far as creating a single leader, bolting on an alternative one will be straightforward.

ewindmill said:
Are mods that are created for GS backwards compatible?

I'm fairly certain that in ModBuddy, when you Build your solution/mod, it will only be compatible with those versions of the game that have the right code/tables/functions that your mod adjusts/interacts with. There is a setting in Project --> Properties that allows you to tick some boxes, but I think this just applies the in-game tag that they are compatible - whether they work or not will depend on the code used. Again, I haven't tested.

I am not going to attempt to answer the other questions as I do not know the answers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom