Cricket: Mascarenhas bangs 5 sixes from last 5 balls for England in 6th ODI vs India

Stapel

FIAT 850 coupé
What a sensational way for England to end an ODI innings versus India!

At this point:
48.6 Tendulkar to Mascarenhas, 1 run, cut out to cover for a single
I was thinking he was a moron to keep the strike. Since Owais Shah was in power-hitting mode, it might have been better to stay put.

Then cricinfo came up with this (note the lack of written comments):

49.6 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX
49.5 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX
49.4 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX
49.3 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX
49.2 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX
49.1 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, no run, an ugly and not particularly effective mow

I was thinking somebody was holding the SIX-button on the cricinfo laptop too long. Otherwise there would have been some commetns between it, right?

But a minute later, the definite report came up:

49.6 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX, make that five sixes in the over! And the biggest of the lot, straight back over the bowler's head! Quite breathless cricket
Where will he bowl now? Surely not another leg-side dart?
49.5 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX, he's done it again! And this has gone even further into the midwicket boundary. A brilliant, crisp, effortless clip for six
Poor bowling. Yuvraj is firing these, predictably, into his legs and Mascarenhas is picking them off with ease
49.4 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX, and another one! This is marvellous batting here. Another step outside leg; another six into midwicket
49.3 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX, he takes a step outside leg and smites him for six into the midwicket fence! Bosh!
49.2 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, SIX, and he swings this over midwicket, high and handsome - but Piyush is lurking, and makes excellent ground to take a brilliant catch. However...such was his velocity that he slid into the boundary, and it's six! Tough luck.
49.1 Yuvraj Singh to Mascarenhas, no run, an ugly and not particularly effective mow

That’s really amazing. Five sixes from the last 5 balls. Imho, a way better performance than hitting 6 sixes of a Daan van Bunge over in what was nothing but a polished up training game agaisnt a B-country.

This is really something special!

But did England win? :confused:

No - India managed to chase England's total and win with 2 balls to spare.

Yah, I looked it up on Sky...just makes it more dramatic when "The new kid" wright and the other kids break the tie! :goodjob:

It was a great game.

It was a great game.

No doubt about that!
I couldn't care a dime about England or India winning it. Especially for a neutral, this was great, great cricket.
I must admit that, since the Ashes 2005, I have my heart ticking somewhat in favour of England, though. I kinda hope Flintoff returns at Lord's and seals the series for England. That would be a great end to a great ODI series.

Another note: There was some doubt about a 7 ODI series. But this really proofs to be worth it!

Top Bottom