CS Quests

Just FYI, I'm not entertaining any discussions here which ask for special qualifications (i.e. no 'mercantile resources'). Some things, like cities from vassals, are bugs and can be fixed. But I'm not doing anything else like that, too much scripted behavior.

While that's very fair, could a compromise be to attach a timer to these quests so that after a while, they disappear and stop clogging up potentially useful quests? Say, 20 turns?

On the barbarian horde quest, overall I really like this quest. I just wish that when the horde attacked a city state it would.......attack the city state. They don't appear in the CS land, they appear on my land and attack me instead. Sometimes, it ends up being the city state army helping me!
Just FYI, I'm not entertaining any discussions here which ask for special qualifications (i.e. no 'mercantile resources'). Some things, like cities from vassals, are bugs and can be fixed. But I'm not doing anything else like that, too much scripted behavior.
Can we move the great admiral quest to only occur if you (or majority of civs, or something like this) have discovered sailing? Its still a tough quest there, but its better than it appearing on turn 40.

On the barbarian horde quest, overall I really like this quest. I just wish that when the horde attacked a city state it would.......attack the city state. They don't appear in the CS land, they appear on my land and attack me instead. Sometimes, it ends up being the city state army helping me!

Can we move the great admiral quest to only occur if you (or majority of civs, or something like this) have discovered sailing? Its still a tough quest there, but its better than it appearing on turn 40.

It works now (as of latest version) such that you can only get the quest for GA/GG if you have points in that respective type.

G

Is there no chance of new code on this one specific issue? Like, I totally get the broad reason for the code freeze, but we're not talking reinventing mechanics or making drastic changes. City-state quests are an integral part of the core game play, but for VP purposes are uncharacteristically lacking, and the changes we are talking (adding a timer) aren't grand innovations but relatively (IMO) common sense attempts to solidify and streamline a broadly existing mechanic.

I just realized I don't fully understand a fundamental aspect of CS quests: Are all quests available for all civs or are some for your civ only? "Destroy Barbarian Camp" and "Generate most of X" are open to all civs, but are "Connect resource X" and "Capture city Y" available to every civ?

Relevance to the current thread: a quest to capture a city that belongs to your vassal would seem like an error, but if it's a quest that is made available to all civs then it is not so much an error and more a head's up.

Edit: If some quests are for your civ only, which ones?

Just wanted to say I think CS quests are in a very good place right now, the rewards and influence scale well with era and always seem worth doing, but you still need diplomatic intervention if you want to make or keep an alliance you get from quests (except for barbarian horde, but you still need to intervene with your military so it’s OK).

I just realized I don't fully understand a fundamental aspect of CS quests: Are all quests available for all civs or are some for your civ only? "Destroy Barbarian Camp" and "Generate most of X" are open to all civs, but are "Connect resource X" and "Capture city Y" available to every civ?

Relevance to the current thread: a quest to capture a city that belongs to your vassal would seem like an error, but if it's a quest that is made available to all civs then it is not so much an error and more a head's up.

Edit: If some quests are for your civ only, which ones?

Resource connections are definitely for your civ only since you’re the only one that can meet them and the AI will trade luxuries as needed. Probably same thing for capturing cities since I’ve never seen it fulfilled by the AI and if they do see it, they don’t make any effort to target that one city in particular.

I don’t see CS quests targeting your vassal as an error. Maybe that CS hates that civ in particular or thinks the city is of strategic value regardless of alliances; the flavor is there. You can always choose to release your vassal and take the city. It’s probably a poor choice, sure, but it’s still the player’s choice to make:

Technically speaking, but I am never going to take a City just for the purposes of the Connect a Resource quest. This means it is only completed if I was going to do it anyway, which makes it a "win more" quest. These are bad.
A great general with a citadel is another option in some cases. I think the quest is fine.

Is there no chance of new code on this one specific issue? Like, I totally get the broad reason for the code freeze, but we're not talking reinventing mechanics or making drastic changes. City-state quests are an integral part of the core game play, but for VP purposes are uncharacteristically lacking, and the changes we are talking (adding a timer) aren't grand innovations but relatively (IMO) common sense attempts to solidify and streamline a broadly existing mechanic.

A timer needs new variables for every quest, a tracker, game speed modification, UI modification for all three UI variants, and AI logic for not starting quests just before they end. There are over 20 quests, and they all operate in the DLL on unique paths. Week or more of work.

Not feasible.

G

A great general with a citadel is another option in some cases. I think the quest is fine.

Agreed. Now are these quests "win more"? I would argue they are "win differently".

What I like about a lot of the CS quests is they shake up my play. Sometimes as simple as adjusting my build order, sometimes I do something I would never do. I have conquered cities I would never take otherwise due to CS quest. Sometimes I will trade for a resource I normally would not just to bag a quest. Even the build this building quest, while yes I may have always built it at some point, now I consider if its worth rushing instead of waiting to build it when I usually would.

As others have mentioned, the Culture Quest right now is truly a win more, because your in the quest whether you like it or not. Someone is going to get that bonus, and normally their isn't much you can change in your playstyle to avoid it. That is a true win more to me.

On the barb horde quest, I understand CrabHelmet's concern. I think the problem is not the quest per say, but the randomness of its severity. Sometimes you get a handful of barbs in CS lands, you deal with them, and get a nice bonus. Sometimes you have a full scale invasion of barbs into your territory.

I don't know if the the barb invasion logic can be changed, but could the severity? Is it possible to reduce the variance on fast and how many barbs appear for that quest, to perhaps find a compromise?

Top Bottom