CTD frequency

bahamut19

Chieftain
I notice in various threads many VP players regularly have CTDs when they play. I was wondering how frequent this is and if this is something which needs to be a focus of in future versions. I feel CTDs might be reducing player enjoyment of VP, especially if a player feels unable to complete a game if they desire to do so.

In your last game, did you have a CTD? If so, about which turn and game speed did the game crash? Regardless of whether or not you had a CTD, did you complete the game until a victory was reached? What version of VP did you use?

I notice in various threads many VP players regularly have CTDs when they play. I was wondering how frequent this is and if this is something which needs to be a focus of in future versions. I feel CTDs might be reducing player enjoyment of VP, especially if a player feels unable to complete a game if they desire to do so.

In your last game, did you have a CTD? If so, about which turn and game speed did the game crash? Regardless of whether or not you had a CTD, did you complete the game until a victory was reached? What version of VP did you use?

So to note, there are soft, medium, and hard CTDs. Soft ones I can just reload the program and kick it off from there, medium I have to save like a turn behind and change a few decisions to make it through, and hard CTDs means I usually cannot make progress in the game anymore no matter what I do.

Hard CTDs are normally a product of bugs in the latest version, that generally get worked out after the first couple of hot fixes. Medium ones I see once every few games. Soft CTDs I usually see 1-2 a game, they are annoying but at the end of the day its not that big a deal, I personally would rather they keep working on true bug fixes or other improvements than try to push out all soft CTDs, especially since some are due to memory limitations that there is nothing that can be done.

As Stalker0 I get 1-2 soft/medium per game anytime a new beta comes out. I do not see any real difference between the two: autosasaves every 3t save my day.

Using 5-5-2, the latest.

Haven't played recent 2-3 versions, but I am one of the lucky people who have nearly 0 CTDs (unless there's a bug in a given VP version causing a hard-CTD). And that is on large crowded maps with extra mods on a mediocre laptop with no powerul GPU.

I do get ugly slow-downs and stuttering occasionally. I need to switch to the strategic view for a while, then the game becomes fast again and I can go on.

There shouldn't be much of that with the stable versions. I never have CTD. I completed a game with the previous stable. I'm working with the current stable now and I'm almost to turn 700 on Marathon/Huge

The typical CTDs I get are directly related to modmods or bad installs. Otherwise this version is very stable for me.

I find that if I use the Map Labels mod I get soft CTDs every so often. This modmod also causes other memory related issues too. Which is too bad, because I really like the flavor it adds.

Haven't played recent 2-3 versions, but I am one of the lucky people who have nearly 0 CTDs (unless there's a bug in a given VP version causing a hard-CTD). And that is on large crowded maps with extra mods on a mediocre laptop with no powerul GPU.

I do get ugly slow-downs and stuttering occasionally. I need to switch to the strategic view for a while, then the game becomes fast again and I can go on.
I as well play this on a pretty old laptop. I don't have the heart to get rid of it because it works fine. The sole purpose of it is pretty much for playing relaxing, turn-based type games where I don't have to be sitting up straight and alert.
Later in the game I switch to strategic view when I end my turn. There is a noticeable speed difference in the AI's turn process. (I'm sure this has been stated before)

However I do like to keep the animations going if I'm in a war so I can see what's going on.

You are lucky !
I use only VP + EUI and for every version I tested I start to have soft CTD every 5 to 10 turns from around turn 280 on standard speed , most of time (95%) when I open the tech tree :'(. Each time I have to roload the program and chose the last Autosave and it works for another 5-10 turn until the next CTD (often the next tech I have to chose).
And it is the same for my older PC :/

You are lucky !
I use only VP + EUI and for every version I tested I start to have soft CTD every 5 to 10 turns from around turn 280 on standard speed , most of time (95%) when I open the tech tree :'(. Each time I have to roload the program and chose the last Autosave and it works for another 5-10 turn until the next CTD (often the next tech I have to chose).
And it is the same for my older PC :/

I've had this same issue on my last few games using the last stable version. Anytime I complete a tech once I am in the Industrial or later era, I get a CTD when I click on the Research button. I'm not sure how many players actually make it this far in their games, since many state they end the game midway through once they feel a game is already decided. Only one person so far has responded in this thread that they actually play complete games, or go to the late game with any regularity. I have a hunch that due to a general lack of testing by players that far into the game, it is hard to assess how the game operates. I'm hoping for further input over time.

I as well play this on a pretty old laptop. I don't have the heart to get rid of it because it works fine. The sole purpose of it is pretty much for playing relaxing, turn-based type games where I don't have to be sitting up straight and alert.
Later in the game I switch to strategic view when I end my turn. There is a noticeable speed difference in the AI's turn process. (I'm sure this has been stated before)

However I do like to keep the animations going if I'm in a war so I can see what's going on.

I'm actually quite impressed your laptop performs this well. I'm glad it does and hope it continues to. Do you use any modmods in addition to VP, or is it VP only?

As Stalker0 I get 1-2 soft/medium per game anytime a new beta comes out. I do not see any real difference between the two: autosasaves every 3t save my day.

Using 5-5-2, the latest.

Do you play your games until a victory has been completed?

I've had this same issue on my last few games using the last stable version. Anytime I complete a tech once I am in the Industrial or later era, I get a CTD when I click on the Research button. I'm not sure how many players actually make it this far in their games, since many state they end the game midway through once they feel a game is already decided. Only one person so far has responded in this thread that they actually play complete games, or go to the late game with any regularity. I have a hunch that due to a general lack of testing by players that far into the game, it is hard to assess how the game operates. I'm hoping for further input over time.
Yes what you just said is exactly my issue, and it begins at industrial/modern era, I thought I was alone who face this problem. Because of it, usualy, I stop to play a game at ~turn 350.

I have a similar issue, but to me it feels like something of the latest versions. Before I would regularly complete games in full.

I like new features more though, so I'm not swapping back to an old version for some higher stability.

I'm actually quite impressed your laptop performs this well. I'm glad it does and hope it continues to. Do you use any modmods in addition to VP, or is it VP only?
VP only. I did a huge/marathon map with 16 Civs this time. Last game was 22 Civs Huge/epic. The only thing I might say is I tend to take out a few of the Civs by mid game. Thereby, possibly reducing some of the strain. Heck in this deity game Spain (my biggest contender) has been on the rampage and has taken out a few civs herself.

Thankfully I rarely CTD now. I used to CTD regularly ~around renaissance time, as stalker0 put it "soft CTDs", then would hard CTD ~atomic era.

Last time I played (4-14) the fist time I CTD was in the modern era and I mean WAY into the modern era, I think it was about 2010 AD and unfortunately it was a hard CTD, it would immediately CTD on load. Which is a shame as I was really enjoying that game.

But even then I don't think it had anything to do with VP, I was playing on GIGANTIC Earth (ynaem) and have many modmods in addition to VP. I was honestly surprised I was able to make it as far as I did, we're talking thousands of turns here not hundreds lol!

I'm playing a smaller more reasonable map now and no CTD so far, time will tell if i still CTD in modern era or not (i play marathon so will take a while to know :D)

But yeah overall I'd say VP's stability has improved enormously over the past year. I don't think you should be getting many if any CTDs at all on the latest betas, if you are I'd go through your other mods/modmods and make sure they're updated to whatever version your VP is.

Thankfully I rarely CTD now. I used to CTD regularly ~around renaissance time, as stalker0 put it "soft CTDs", then would hard CTD ~atomic era.

Last time I played (4-14) the fist time I CTD was in the modern era and I mean WAY into the modern era, I think it was about 2010 AD and unfortunately it was a hard CTD, it would immediately CTD on load. Which is a shame as I was really enjoying that game.

But even then I don't think it had anything to do with VP, I was playing on GIGANTIC Earth (ynaem) and have many modmods in addition to VP. I was honestly surprised I was able to make it as far as I did, we're talking thousands of turns here not hundreds lol!

I'm playing a smaller more reasonable map now and no CTD so far, time will tell if i still CTD in modern era or not (i play marathon so will take a while to know :D)

But yeah overall I'd say VP's stability has improved enormously over the past year. I don't think you should be getting many if any CTDs at all on the latest betas, if you are I'd go through your other mods/modmods and make sure they're updated to whatever version your VP is.
I don't understand why some of us have a lot of soft CTD without using another mod than VP, they always start at the industrial era, and are very common (like every 10 turn), in all our game since few releases :(. And some of us get really few ctd and can enjoy more the game.

Top Bottom