CTD/Game hangs when loading VP

Akbarthegreat

Angel of Junil
First off, kudos to the creators of this mod. I got bored of civ5 a couple of years ago, but this mod seriously feels a whole new game. Absolutely amazing :D

I didn't want to post this on the Github tracker since I'm fairly sure this is a technical issue I'm having, and not a bug. I'm playing only VP, no other mods, and unmodded BNW works fine for me. Either the game hangs when I'm on the mod loading screen ("configuring game data, please wait") or it passes that screen, and hangs after I load a save. Sometimes the game just stays stuck on the screen, sometimes it crashes to desktop without any error message.

I've reinstalled civ5, reinstalled VP multiple times (tried using the modpack as well), and deleted the moduserdata and cache folders to no avail. I've managed to start games and play them till around the medieval era. The turn times and game in general proceeds pretty smoothly, so I'm fairly certain this isn't a minimum specs issue.

I've attached the log folders from a couple of these crashes, if anyone could take a look at them I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone has faced similar issues and has troubleshooting advice, I've looked around a lot and couldn't find anything sadly.

Attachments

• logs old.rar
    27.1 KB · Views: 120
  • logs new.rar
    24.5 KB · Views: 115
I've had the exact same problem you describe for the last 18-24 months (hangs on mod-loading screen, cant load saves, etc). I suspect some small change happened in one of the many VP updates or something with a windows update or even a firaxis launcher update. Some crucial infinitesimally small interaction I have neither the time nor the understanding to track down unfortunately. Nothing I have done has worked.

The only thing that I've found does work is playing off modpacks. I just reread your post and noticed that modpacks was not working for you. Sorry to hear it, that's the only thing that has worked for me. Wish I had more I could tell you!

Yo OK I had this exact issue loading late game saves and found a solution that works pretty well. Basically:

1. Launch civ
2. Start a new modded game
3. Exit to menu
4. Load the save that wasn't working

I'm far from an expert but my theory is that the game chokes loading everything into memory. By starting a fresh game first you get many of the assets pre-loaded/cached which makes loading the huge save easier/more stable. Be careful with losing the autosave you intend to go back to when starting fresh games. Also I don't play with a modpack, I go through the mod menu, so that could change things.

Relieved to see I'm not the only one facing this issue.

Yo OK I had this exact issue loading late game saves and found a solution that works pretty well. Basically:

1. Launch civ
2. Start a new modded game
3. Exit to menu
4. Load the save that wasn't working

I'm far from an expert but my theory is that the game chokes loading everything into memory. By starting a fresh game first you get many of the assets pre-loaded/cached which makes loading the huge save easier/more stable. Be careful with losing the autosave you intend to go back to when starting fresh games. Also I don't play with a modpack, I go through the mod menu, so that could change things.

So what you do is:
1. Start civ
2. Load mods
3. Start new game, then quit it
4. Load mods again
5. Load save file

Is this correct?

Thought I'd update this in case anyone reads it later. Updating to latest beta (April) solved the issue. Even now my game hangs at least once on the "configuring game data" screen after loading mods, but once I restart my laptop and get past that screen the game loads just fine.

Welp, here I am again. I played one game (Small map) into the Atomic era just fine, but now my latest game (Standard map) refuses to load in the industrial era. It isn't even a CTD, the game is just indefinitely stuck on the leader screen when the savegame is being loaded. I've tried leaving the game on that screen for an hour and half. Yet no error or crash (and hence no dump file). Nothing in windows event viewer. And I don't think any of the logs are relevant either, so there's nothing I can report :/

I had this same issue earlier, and many hours of experimenting revealed that it was using steam cloud saves that stopped these crashes (instead of normal save files), and not updating to the latest version. It's very strange, because I have pretty much no performance issues or crashes ingame. It's only loading save games that is a problem. I've tried the method of starting a game and then loading another, but that doesn't help either. I've lost two games to this issue now, that I spent a lot of hours on. Gets really frustrating especially since end-game and ideologies is the most fun part of the game for me.

@Akbarthegreat , do the saves from earlier eras work fine? When you get stuck on the loading screen, wait for - say 5 minutes (the usual loading time) - and then press enter and then try right-clicking randomly around and pressing spacebar. When you do so, check if you can hear the sounds of units moving, the ambient sounds, etc. If yes, then it would mean only the screen is stuck and the game is still running. It has happened to me in the past - not with a save game, but when in-game. I think I fixed it by not using memory heavy mods like Ethnic Units.

@Akbarthegreat , do the saves from earlier eras work fine? When you get stuck on the loading screen, wait for - say 5 minutes (the usual loading time) - and then press enter and then try right-clicking randomly around and pressing spacebar. When you do so, check if you can hear the sounds of units moving, the ambient sounds, etc. If yes, then it would mean only the screen is stuck and the game is still running. It has happened to me in the past - not with a save game, but when in-game. I think I fixed it by not using memory heavy mods like Ethnic Units.

Saves from earlier eras work fine, yes. I just loaded a save from turn ~170 successfully. The one I'm trying to load is at turn ~270.
I tried pressing spacebar on the loading screen, it doesn't work. The intro music plays and the globe cursor keeps rotating.

By the way, stumbled on this github bug report where you commented. After you quit to the main menu, do you load the save game directly or do you load the mod again first?

I see, so the save does not load even in the background, that's bad.

Yes, you have to go through the mod screen (and then press Next) after you quit to the main menu. You cannot load a modded save in a non-modded game.

Does anyone else have gamecore.log and Localization.log (in the logs folder), respectively, with these warnings/errors?

Spoiler Gamecore.log :
Code:
WRN: GreatWorkSlotType - GREAT_WORK_SLOT_FILM is used in the DLL but does not exist in the database.
WRN: GreatWorkSlotType - GREAT_WORK_SLOT_RELIC is used in the DLL but does not exist in the database.
WRN: GreatWorkSlotType - GREAT_WORK_SLOT_FILM is used in the DLL but does not exist in the database.
WRN: GreatWorkSlotType - GREAT_WORK_SLOT_RELIC is used in the DLL but does not exist in the database.

Spoiler Localization.log :
Code:
[893.437] WRN: A resource bundle lookup returned a result from the root locale (not an error).
[1055.687] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.687] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.687] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.687] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.718] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.718] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.718] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.718] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.734] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.734] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.734] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.734] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.828] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.828] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.828] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.828] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.843] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.843] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1055.843] ERR: Missing argument 2. ([COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR])
[1055.843] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 2. [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]At war with {1_enemy} (Warscore: {2_Num})[ENDCOLOR]
[1060.562] ERR: Missing argument 1. (Vassal For {1_NumTurns} Turns (Turn {2_TurnStarted}))
[1060.562] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 1. Vassal For {1_NumTurns} Turns (Turn {2_TurnStarted})
[1060.578] ERR: Missing argument 1. (Tax Rate: {1_Num})
[1060.578] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 1. Tax Rate: {1_Num}
[1060.578] ERR: Missing argument 1. (Tax Rate: {1_Num})
[1060.578] ERR: Failed to evaluate parameter 1. Tax Rate: {1_Num}

Top Bottom