Cultist - Best Way To Use Them?

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Civ 6 Fans,

I would like any thoughts on how to use Cultist the best way. I have used them primarily to get the Triple Value of faith. How many Cultist do you typically need to flip a city state or an AI city. I have used 7 or more and the loyalty does not drop enough to flip the city.

Thoughts?

Brew God

How many Cultist do you typically need to flip a city state or an AI city. I have used 7 or more and the loyalty does not drop enough to flip the city.
You can only flip a city whose loyalty is already falling, that is, the loyalty change value is negative. If it stays positive all the time, cultists alone won't flip such a city. So you should look for border cities with weak loyalty, maybe belonging to a civ in Dark Age and losing or close to losing loyalty, maybe you can send a spy there and remove a governor, run Bread and Circuses project if possible, put Amani with Emissary promotion nearby, grow your nearby cities, so that their loyalty starts falling, and then speed up the process with cultists. At the start, one cultist hits for -10 loyalty, so if you manage to fully suround the city centre with 6 of them, that's -60 loyalty per turn. You will need two or three turns to flip, depending on the number of adjacent cultists. Symphonies title allow to run a project to make cultists more powerful, but as it comes in Atomic Era, that's a bit late.

Yeah, seeing as their use-cases are pretty limited, I don't really find them beneficial. They're good for:

1. If they're only marginally losing loyalty, like it will rebel in 180 turns or so. That would be useless to wait for, so cultists can flip it. I tend to find that my other tactics plus natural growth is enough to overcome this, though.

2. If it's slowly losing loyalty, so you suspect they'll allot a governor soon and stop the flip. If that's the case, then you're hoping you can get your cultists there and flip it before the AI assigns the governor.

3. You're just impatient and want the flip a few turns earlier. It's up to you as to whether it's worth expending resources on this. I nearly always have better things to spend them on.

Cultists are kinda useful, but they got nerfed really hard when they introduced the rule that the city had to have zero loyalty at the beginning of their next turn to flip. It makes sense why they had to do something, but they made cultists near useless.

Haven't played with these modes for over a year, the stuff that was added is in general just too broken and makes the game even easier than it already is.

Top Bottom