Cultural Expansion

woodelf

Bard
Retired Moderator
In my views this is simply too fast as is. Your Palace should expand it's first ring quickly, but after that I think we need to eliminate most/all culture until the colonies have gone beyond suriviving and into expanding.

Without a python guy on board I think we'll be stuck with using the culture mechanism for this expansion, but we could call it something else.

Looks like it. At least we can still implement what will determine border growth.

In my views this is simply too fast as is. Your Palace should expand it's first ring quickly, but after that I think we need to eliminate most/all culture until the colonies have gone beyond suriviving and into expanding.

Without a python guy on board I think we'll be stuck with using the culture mechanism for this expansion, but we could call it something else.

culture growth is a function of how much culture the city generates per turn. the growing rings of culture around a city are hardcoded by Civ 4 to the best of my knowledge at predefined culture levels of something like 10, 100, 1000, and 25,000 (legendary culture status) culture points.

the starting city is slightly different. as the capitol of the civ it has a set amount of culture for turn without building anything.

in vanilla Civ 4 one of the civ traits gives all cities the equivalent of a free temple without building one. hence cities of civs with that trait expand relatively rapidly.

=====================================

what this amounts to is that we are designers are still in control because we create the buildings that create the culture points each turn. we also decide if any of the civ traits or civics will generate culture points.

========================

I would propose holding off on the redesign of buildings (including the decision of which ones will output culture) civics/charters, and civ traits until we get the major patch to 0.23a finished.

I have created a proposed to-do list that prioritizes at which mod version the changes to the mod will occur. see post 3 of the Plans thread

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5291741#post5291741

Actually the culture rings can be changed to whatever we want and they can be manipulated based on difficulty level as well. I simply want every first era building generating 0 culture other than the Lunar palace.

Actually the culture rings can be changed to whatever we want and they can be manipulated based on difficulty level as well. I simply want every first era building generating 0 culture other than the Lunar palace.

:goodjob:
And perhaps only 1 "culture" point for this palace?

Yep. You shouldn't expand territory when you're worried about survival.

a decision like this would come as a consequence of the nature of the eras in the game

I personally think we can punt on such a decision at least until version bandaid version 0.23b is released.

I agree that culture should be crippled early on. Survival is key and it doesn't make sense that a stranded corporation would immediately know how to thrive on a barren planet like the moon

I'm going to cripple :culture: for now and upload a version sometime today.

Do you know how to change the icon?

Expansion or something else for culture works for me.

It's a case of putting OR a new icon in the right location of the general icon file, OR linking in a .xml file to a new .dds file.

Depends on how we see territorium increase. If it is energy-based, SMAC's energy icon would be good. Or why don't we do it the most generic way, and depict it with an icon showing the Moon itself?

As on money, Masters Card -or VISA icon could be good. :D

The Moon is perfect. This will make the Lunar Real Estate Law tech important! :lol:

The Moon is perfect. This will make the Lunar Real Estate Law tech important! :lol:

Oh, but that tech will become part of the Chartra Selene in the revised version... :mischief:

What do you think of the VISA -or Master Card idea?
Do you know of any other credit company which has an icon with the same height and length?

What do you think of the VISA -or Master Card idea?
Do you know of any other credit company which has an icon with the same height and length?

Not off hand, but I'm sure there are some out there.

If a credit card can look un-hokey then I'm all for it.

Top Bottom