Culture Database

Yes, That is the plan.

I want to put a column in there for the Xgrid science too. That way all cultures have a #value for how advanced they are.

Cultures should have 3 of the following
  • a hero
  • a hero
  • a unique unit
  • a unique building that provides a unique resource
  • a unit promotion line
It should not have
  • any wonder of any type except Group Wonder
A review of the base requirements needs to be done
  • technology provides a means to specify the time period
  • base Culture(s) obviously but maybe other Cultures as well so you get a bit of sense of History
  • can the resource requirements be replaced by a Myth requirement. If the Culture has Jade Carvers then it must have Jade but could it use Llamas For the Americas and Panda for the Asian?
One thing that does need to looked at and fixed are Vassals and Colonies.
  1. It should be possible to "trade" Cultures between them so that both have them.
  2. When a Colony is formed it should get all the Myths and Cultures of its parent

Yes, That is the plan.

I want to put a column in there for the Xgrid science too. That way all cultures have a #value for how advanced they are.
We should track not only the tech prereq x-grid but also the x-grid for the unit. And it would be nice to get the actual unit name in there as well as the template upon which it is designed. Perhaps even a note line where we can state what the 'powers' of the unit are over it's base template. (Ex: Free 'x' promotion and +1 mvmt)

Heroes need tracking too. And anything else of course.

Seriously great work. Perhaps this Tech document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZXofCuy5utuI2dxQ_-wMhsSyc2tnWfHO9r7MGb9qTxg/edit#gid=0 would help you for quickly determining the tech x grid. Just search for the tech by name or type key and the x and y columns can be found. If you find any discrepancies with the current tech tree, tech names or type tags, which there are a known few since it's been a small bit since last updating it, make sure to correct the document as you go.

base Culture(s) obviously but maybe other Cultures as well so you get a bit of sense of History
I'd LOVE to have this become more of a development tree where we actually track how one culture is a known prereq of another. It would limit the ability to achieve certain cultures a lot more and that may be a negative thing. But as you said, a sense of history could be had that way, one I think we're lacking here. And it might not be so bad to use that to aid us in limiting how many heroes and such a player ultimately gets access to.
can the resource requirements be replaced by a Myth requirement. If the Culture has Jade Carvers then it must have Jade but could it use Llamas For the Americas and Panda for the Asian?
I like where this is going I think.
  • It should be possible to "trade" Cultures between them so that both have them.
  • When a Colony is formed it should get all the Myths and Cultures of its parent
I think the Ideas stuff will probably replace the need for this effort and would handle what you're seeking to reflect. However such colony and vassalage factors should be a consideration that hasn't been mentioned in the ideas thread as influences on how effective the spread of an idea is between the two civilizations. Maybe internal trade routes between them that automatically form would naturally take care of that to a degree, but certainly national affiliations should play a role at all diplomatic levels as well. Even internally ideas pass with greater ease than they would with foreign locales.

I'd LOVE to have this become more of a development tree where we actually track how one culture is a known prereq of another. It would limit the ability to achieve certain cultures a lot more and that may be a negative thing. But as you said, a sense of history could be had that way, one I think we're lacking here. And it might not be so bad to use that to aid us in limiting how many heroes and such a player ultimately gets access to.
Johny Smith did make a diagram of Cultures splitting off and making new Cultures. It was a start, pity I lost my copy when My machine and backup died in the same week. It did not have mergers or conquest style Cultures but then C2C only does in part.

Johny Smith did make a diagram of Cultures splitting off and making new Cultures. It was a start, pity I lost my copy when My machine and backup died in the same week. It did not have mergers or conquest style Cultures but then C2C only does in part.
I think he had that posted in his Rise of the Homos thread somewhere. Plus there's been a lot of new archaeological discoveries in the last decade that would adjust the early tree significantly. As history buffs, surely this sort of sorting could be a lot of fun to put on a spreadsheet!

Updated a lot. Only South america left to do.

Most base Units are now detailed and double checked.

Will place REAL TIME relevance next to #Tech. That way when finished you can immediately spot where techs are woefully anachronistic.

Could use help with the realtime stuff though, that's wikipediawork.

All cultures are now put in and all techs have their Xvalue.

Could use help with the realtime stuff though, that's wikipediawork.
Not sure what you're referring to here.

Oh... I get it. Vokarya used to have that charted out somewhere as that was how he adjusted the tree a while back. You might want to create a new row for recording the expected dating on the x grid of the tech document I shared with you as well if you're going to take that step, that way both of these documents show that information in spots for handy reference.

I think he had that posted in his Rise of the Homos thread somewhere. Plus there's been a lot of new archaeological discoveries in the last decade that would adjust the early tree significantly. As history buffs, surely this sort of sorting could be a lot of fun to put on a spreadsheet!
He also posted it here. He and Hydro were discussing Cultures a lot. IIRC JS is an anthropologist with a main interest in the Americas.

There is a lot of politics in archaeology if you are not careful. I used to read one mag until I realized that the editor's interpretation of The Bible was the base line for truth. There was one very funny article that if read as it was written meant that the Northern and Southern hemispheres must rotate at differing speeds. The article was intended as serious, it just did not see that result from what was stated, the author had not considered anything but the northern hemisphere.

He also posted it here. He and Hydro were discussing Cultures a lot. IIRC JS is an anthropologist with a main interest in the Americas.

There is a lot of politics in archaeology if you are not careful. I used to read one mag until I realized that the editor's interpretation of The Bible was the base line for truth. There was one very funny article that if read as it was written meant that the Northern and Southern hemispheres must rotate at differing speeds. The article was intended as serious, it just did not see that result from what was stated, the author had not considered anything but the northern hemisphere.
There really IS a lot of politics in archaeology indeed. Completely agree. And yeah, what he posted was here in our forums as well. I'm pretty sure he posted his graphic in more than one place and I thought maybe it would be more easily found with a search for Rise of the Homos.

Studied History myself. Been playing civ1 since i was like 8 years old, had no choice really =p. I focused most on contemporary american history and politics with a side of religion.

In other news...

I was thinking about selecting a 'trait' for every culture based on their history:
Scientific
Industrious
Agricultural
Commercial
Primal
Cultural
Military Tradition

Maybe to work with group wonders some day. You only get 1 of each. In any case it's a tiny bit of basic info.

There really IS a lot of politics in archaeology indeed. Completely agree.

Archeology isn't that difficult. Every object you don't understand is explained by assigning it some kind of religious significance. And once you have used that explanation too many times, you switch to: every object you don't understand is evidence of space aliens visiting earth in the past.

(I wish I was joking but I'm not).

Studied History myself. Been playing civ1 since i was like 8 years old, had no choice really =p. I focused most on contemporary american history and politics with a side of religion.

In other news...

I was thinking about selecting a 'trait' for every culture based on their history:
Scientific
Industrious
Agricultural
Commercial
Primal
Cultural
Military Tradition

Maybe to work with group wonders some day. You only get 1 of each. In any case it's a tiny bit of basic info.
It's possible to give a 'civilization trait' by a building. Such a building may be something that can only emerge in the capital (automatically) when:
1) The civic for the civilization is adopted
2) The strength of the 'idea' of that civilization is strong enough in the capital

So developing such traits as generic ways to categorize and slant the abilities of the people would be a great project! Just also keep in mind that this would be a way of grouping cultures into categories but that the civic and trait tags are often similar in ability and scope and that the civics should then show how later, more modern 'advanced' cultures can get an edge over simpler ones.

So this would be like assigning a UnitCombat to a culture so to speak, a set of bonuses and penalties that apply to the culture for having that trait that it may share with many other cultures.

A GREAT idea!

Archeology isn't that difficult. Every object you don't understand is explained by assigning it some kind of religious significance. And once you have used that explanation too many times, you switch to: every object you don't understand is evidence of space aliens visiting earth in the past.

(I wish I was joking but I'm not).
We probably shouldn't rule OUT those options, but they are only part of the realm of potential. We should not allow ourselves to continue to try to settle for one worldview outlook then put the blinders on and assume that outlook is true until we're forced to admit it's not. The scientific method requires unbiased observation and conclusions while allowing deeper theoretical analysis to take place against many models of possibility.

That the Ancient Alien theory is currently the occum's razor answer for a lot of details should not be so surprising, given that our galaxy is so large and so developed along many different timelines that there really should, theoretically, be pre-existing off world intelligences that very well could have interacted wtih humanity at many different times in our development and before. We should consider that we are looking at an Earth that is a very small piece of a much much mind-bogglingly bigger galactic storyline. Surely, upon deepest consideration, this is actually the MOST likely conclusion rather than the LEAST.

The problem is how disturbing that is to the psyche that we Humans aren't actually the center of the universe, even if just our own corner of it. It also disturbs the mind to the consideration that the answers we seek are too deep to imagine ever becoming wrapped up in a neat little bow that tells the story of an Earth history from a beginning to an end. It's damned unsettling to think that the historical timeline of Earth may never be something we can fully put to rest all the answers to, that we'll keep finding more and more mysteries to solve and that process will never end because many of those threads may lead off the planet entirely.

Of course, while we have to recognize why the Human consciousness would be inclined to want to reject such theories, no matter how logical they may become as more and more data surfaces and seems to confirm and support them, we should also not go running wild with assuming fantastical ideas we can't confirm must be true. In my opinion, all potential models of history should be considered equal until we have completely ruled any out. Process of deductive reasoning, all is on the table until something is completely disproven.

That said, gut tells me that we're all soon to have revealed, with no further capacity for doubt, that we have never been completely alone here. In the meantime, let's keep building our historical model in an attempt to work with a model that suggests we ARE alone and that everything here is of our own design. The game needs to stay simple somewhat, and we're trying to build a 'belief neutral' zone here.

I'll start that tomorrow.

If anyone can fill in the blanks i left, some cultures do not have specifics in the pedia, that would be wonderful.

All feedback or ideas arevery welcome =), but please write those in the 2nd link or here, better to keep the first one to show how things are now.

Added Most Cultural units with description and rating now.
Moved some lists between the 2 files.

Top Bottom