Culture (tourism) victory tips (deity, t316)

glory7

King
I loaded a t275 save (t306 SV game below) and went for CV. I was researching rockery at that time but switched it to beeline internet and used all saved 6 GS on the way to get them asap.

Before hotels (modern era tech, refrig), tourism output is low, at most like 50. You really need hotels and 'national hotel' (not sure about the exact name) at telecom tech and finally internet. See screenshots (from deity standard/standard/islands/other civs = BNW ones)

A. Tourism output

1. Each artifact (digged up by archealogists) or great work gives 2. You need buildings (opera house, museum, for example) to store them.
2. Theme bonus: some wonders/buildings give you bonus if you meet certain criteria. For example, Louvre gives you 6 or 8 (it was 6 and changed to 8 later) if you place 2 great artist work and 2 artifacts, all from different civs and all from different eras.
3. Hotels: crucial. Need national hotel at the main city (usually cap).
4. Internet: above (1-3) are counted for raw output. Hotel (national hotel) multiplier and internet multiplier (+100%) will be applied. you can see 669 at the 2nd screenshot.

B. Influence multiplier

At the 2nd screenshot, you can see 175% for moroco, for example. This multiplier is based on:

1. Open border: +25%
2. Trade route: +25%
3. Share religion: +25% (I didn't have)
4. Diplomat: +34% (25%? not sure)
5. Ideology: -34% if different. +34% if same (need certain tenets).
6. Other tenets (for example, there is one gives +34% to other civs with lower :))
7. Brazil UA: Carnival! +100%! Because of this 100% bonus, brazil is really strong in CV.

You really need to save 1,2,4 all the time, at least to the highest culture guy (the last guy you need to surpass).

C. Great Musician (GM)

See 1st screenshot. Musician can perform concert tour that converts strength of that unit to tourism where you perform it and 20% of that strength to other civs. The main point of this GM is, this guy's strength = 10x tourism output when it was born! You can see 5940 in this case. When I achieved the victory, total tourism to the last opponent (moroco) was about 42000. Now you can see the power.

To use this well, one needs to produce GM very late (do not make any before) when you get really high tourism per turn. alternative use of GM is making great work which gives mere +2, like an artifact.

D. religion

I could not get one after my pantheon God of the sea. It seems that AIs go piety very often and they have so many prophets/missionaries so it's almost impossible to fight against it at deity unless you have good NW or desert forklore. However, religion is really powerful (cathedral, for example). If you finish piety, you can buy w/e great person with faith and this will help a lot at the end game when you have high tourism per turn and just need to get more great musicians to "bomb". I finished aesthetics so I could buy one, but I didn't have enough faith as I neglected faith from the beginning.

E. How to get artifacts/great works?

Archaelogists are one time unit and can only be produced by hammers (no rush-buy) from a city with university. You need to make them asap when you hit the tech and send them over to neutral cites first (nobody's territory or CS's). I have not tried it a lot but if you dig one out of other civ's land they will ask you not to do it. I am not sure doing once is okay and does not give negative modifier (in that case, go to other civ's one first). Dig ones in your land last.

For great work, use great artists (don't do this if you play brazil - you need them for carnival) and writers. As I mentioned above, great musicians should do "concert bomb".

I could not do this in my game (and not really easy in deity to pull this out safely - I only killed one civ but he did build 7 wonders:lol:), but I believe that the best way to get lots of them is War and get theirs (reminds you of real history, right?). War has several benefits: 1. You cripple them so their cpt go down (which means you need less tourism), 2. you get their buildings/wonders and artifacts/great works in them. You can move them to other cities - move them to fill cap's slots asap.

F. World congress

There are several things that may help you: for example, 33% faster artists, writers, musician one. This one is no brainer and lots of civs love it when you propose this. Boosters like International games are always welcomed too.

Let me know if you have questions/comments. Hope this basic guide helps you to get your first tourism victory!

Attachments

• 2013-07-10_00008.jpg
    2013-07-10_00008.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 899
  • 2013-07-10_00009.jpg
    2013-07-10_00009.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 731
  • 2013-07-10_00010.jpg
    2013-07-10_00010.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 627
If you're planning it out well, finishing the Internet and the International Games at the same time will let you get massive Gm concert tour bombs, provided your base tourism is great at that time.

I won a culture game with Maria at around this time on Emperor. For me, the trading of GW and artifacts was key for the theming bonuses.

Also, as it relates to theming, I think you have no choice sometimes to dig in a friendly Civs backyard especially when try to theme The Louvre.

I think the tech path is key, which I have yet to refine. I know getting hotels quickly is key, but I wonder how important airports are? This is a significant deviation from the tech path, no?

Top Bottom