Culture Tree with tooltips

I'm confused. Why would you ever run anything except Ilkum and/or Colonization (+30 % production towards Builders and +50 % towards Settlers, respectively) in the early game? Why would I want +1 production in all cities, when these whopping bonuses dwarf that paltry amount in the things that really matter and which you would be doing anyways (occupying new land or developing existing holdings)?

Let's you build settlers half of the time. This means the Colonization gives only 25% bonus, so with less than 4 production per city it will give less than Urban Planning. The more time you spend on other things - the less effective Ilkum/Colonization is.

Optima strategy would be to switch those policies on during the time of actively building Settlers/Builders and switch off while building other things, but this would require a lot of planning and sync between different things going on.

I'm confused. Why would you ever run anything except Ilkum and/or Colonization (+30 % production towards Builders and +50 % towards Settlers, respectively) in the early game? Why would I want +1 production in all cities, when these whopping bonuses dwarf that paltry amount in the things that really matter and which you would be doing anyways (occupying new land or developing existing holdings)?

+1 hammer in every city makes a huge difference for newly founded cities. It's a question of how fast can you get the city up and running, particularly with getting your first Monument or Granary up.

+50% Settler bonus does nothing for a the newly founded city once it's planted.

Since you are racing other civs for great people, which requires getting Districts on line quickly, this is quite huge.

Also you can purchase Builders with Gold (at least I think so) and the build bonus presumably does not apply. The Aztecs should rarely run the Builder bonus since they have other ways to get Builders.

I will admit that Colonization is a lot more situational than Ilkum. But you need to be building Builders throughout the game since their charges will be used up. I don't see myself switching out of Ilkum before the Middle Ages at the earliest, and probably not even then if I'm playing a 'wide' empire (or colonizing another empty continent). We shall see, but atm I'm moderately worried. They could easily tweak the numbers, though, if worst comes to worst and people will always be using Ilkum (and Colonization to a lesser extent).

I will admit that Colonization is a lot more situational than Ilkum. But you need to be building Builders throughout the game since their charges will be used up. I don't see myself switching out of Ilkum before the Middle Ages at the earliest, and probably not even then if I'm playing a 'wide' empire (or colonizing another empty continent). We shall see, but atm I'm moderately worried. They could easily tweak the numbers, though, if worst comes to worst and people will always be using Ilkum (and Colonization to a lesser extent).

I personally have my eye on the +100% adjacency bonuses for the Campus at Recorded History, right after Political Philosophy and Drama & Poetry. There's also the +100% holy site card at Theology.

It's not going to do you too much good to build more improvements than you can work in the early game (or at any point) - or more settlements than you can defend. Once you hit Feudalism you can run Serfdom (+2 builder actions) and Ilkum together, and it will be very efficient - meaning it is probably a little more production-efficient to let a couple tiles go unimproved if you're getting close to Feudalism.

I imagine building 2 settlers at a time, then 2 or 3 builders, and then switching back to Urban Planning (+1 prod) as initial districts in the new cities are building.

Not working here :confused: I us chrome and can open document, but no tooltips appear... What am I doing wrong?

This might be true if you couldn't switch cards with every movement on the culture tree. If you really keep it there and aren't ALWAYS building another builder you are wasting that card slot. And if you are always building builders I have to think you're doing something really stupid. You don't need a fourth building until your total pop is over 12. 5th builder 15... 6th builder 18. Etc. Etc. I can't imagine you'd be building one the entire time up to that point.

+1 hammer in every city makes a huge difference for newly founded cities. It's a question of how fast can you get the city up and running, particularly with getting your first Monument or Granary up.

+50% Settler bonus does nothing for a the newly founded city once it's planted.

Since you are racing other civs for great people, which requires getting Districts on line quickly, this is quite huge.

Also you can purchase Builders with Gold (at least I think so) and the build bonus presumably does not apply. The Aztecs should rarely run the Builder bonus since they have other ways to get Builders.

The Aztecs should run the Builder bonus, unless they are building Troops or Wonders. If they are trying to get districts, then they can just build+use builders.

.... also Urban planning is available from the beginning, you use it if you don't want an early Pantheon (in which case you use God-King)

Also urban planning is a flat bonus for all cities. I doubt youll be making settlers in all cities at the same time...

Workers will be probably built a bit more evenly but its only 30% only when you build those.
Very likely youll switch in and out of worker and settler policy and do them in bursts.

Working for me, this is pretty cool :O

Interesting that Oligarchy is about as warmongery as Autocracy though. I guess Autocracy having 1 more military slot and 1 less diplomacy slot is the defining feature?

Working for me, this is pretty cool :O

Interesting that Oligarchy is about as warmongery as Autocracy though. I guess Autocracy having 1 more military slot and 1 less diplomacy slot is the defining feature?

It seems Autocracy is the "tall" government, while Oligarchy is the "warmonger" government.

+1 Production is very flexible, applying to builders, settlers, military and districts. Presumably, most civs will want a mix.

Being able to time new builds with new civics for free policy changes is certainly a great optimization.

Hi,

The Aztecs should run the Builder bonus, unless they are building Troops or Wonders. If they are trying to get districts, then they can just build+use builders.
Or, never run the Builder Bonus in the early game, just build troops and get your builders from the nearest civ or city state. Which means you don't need an early Settler either.

That's the Aztec way.

Anyway,

Ken

I don't know about using ilkum all that much at the start, actually. It's boost is "improve 3 tiles", so most games I think you would only want to finish it after your first builder has already been built. I don't think you would need another builder immediately after that, so I don't think you would switch right then. Perhaps after settling the second city, you can switch and have both of them build builders, and then switch out again once that's done.

By the time the 3rd city comes around, possibly you would have other policy cards that would suit your needs more. And in any case, with 3 cities +1 hammer on all of them becomes that much more powerful, and it becomes less likely that you want all 3 cities working on the same thing. Your established city can also build the builder much more easily than the brand new city anyway, which would benefit a lot more from the +1 hammer to build monument or granary or something.

This was really well done. Thanks for that. :)

Top Bottom