Cumulative Football Quiz #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by zenga
Correct.:goodjob:

Your question then KW.

OK, My Question...

In which World Cup Finals did Australia make its only appearance to date? Which teams did they play in the finals and what was their best result?

It was in 1974, and the opponents were Chile, East Germany and West Germany, the hosts. Their best result was a draw against Chile.

Well Done MCdread. :goodjob:

Australia failed to score any goals in the tournament. :( They lost 2-0 to East Germany followed by a 3-0 loss to West Germany. (Damn those Germans). As you mentioned, their best result was a nil-all draw with Chile.

I believe it is your question now.

In most anglo-saxon countries, football is called soccer. In what other country is football (futbol, futebol, fussball, etc...), called a different name, and why?

It's called "Calcio" in Italy, as far as I know that doesn't mean football. But I'm not sure what it really means, I guess something like "association".

You got the country and the name, but you're far from the meaning of the name "calcio".

isn't AC association calcio? Maybe calcio has to do with legs or something? Or maybe it's the name of that animal part where they made the first ball of (i don't know the word in english)

The origin of the word may have something to do with legs in old italian dialects, I don't know. But that's not the answer I had in mind.
And I thought the question was too easy.:eek: I'm surprised that no one knows the answer.

Calcio is the name of an old game that developed in Italy around medievil times. It involved carrying the ball in your hands or kicking it along with your feet and was pretty much no-holds barred rules-wise. When football arrived in Italy via British sailors, it was commented that it seemed simmilar to the old game and has gone by the same name ever since...

I'm not sure if any other countries call football an alternate name other than soccer.

That's it! Next question then.

Sorry for my latness. :(

Here's one for all you comsmopolitan fans. :D

Who is currently placed 2nd in the table in The Premier League, La Liga, Seria A and The Bundesliga?

2 nd in the premiership is chelsea
La liega - Valencia
Seria A - Lazio
Bundesliga- Borussia Dortmund

Correct, next!

ok

who was charltons first ever victory against in the premier league starting (startring 92/93 season)?

I can remember the game - but cant remember the opponents!
Liverpool??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom