1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Age better than Heroic Age?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tetley, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Don't worry about ages.

I personally only take very careful on era points when
    1. I have a ton of faith, under such circumstances I have to get to monumentality to make full use of the faith. However if the faith comes from Holy Sites, monasticism+Jesuit is better. So I wish to get into either dark or golden age, but not normal age.
    2. I have a ton of Harbors, free inquiry gives a lot of science so I must try my best for a golden age.

Otherwise you don't need to care. Being normal or dark will not hurt you since even if you get to golden there's no severe bonuses. Twilight Valor on dark age is strong but not game-changing. Same for the district+1 culture golden age.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

The priority of era points needs to be kept in perspective. Maybe not revolve your entire game around it, since there may be higher priorities, but just shifting things around by a few turns can change ages for you (namely, FROM Normal, TO Dark--not the other way around). Is it a big deal if you put off completing your first UU by 4 turns? Plus if you plan ahead of time for a dark or for a specific GA dedication, you can maximize it. Such as, get a religion this game, because you will want HS anyway for Monasticism. Increase your trade routes early for Isolationism, build Colossus--or conversely, reduce them for Letters of Marque. Put off building Frigates and wait for Letters of Marque to build Privateers instead. Put off settling while you play Isolationism, and wait for Hic Sunt Draconis during the following HA instead--Hic Sunt Draconis kickstarts your new cities something serious (of course...supercharged domestic trade routes to your new cities don't exactly hurt, either). Don't missionary your own cities and instead play Inquisition DA card when your friends' apostles come your way.

It may not change your ENTIRE game, but it can certainly change some of the things you do, to improve it.

3. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

For those asking for dark ages to be more punishing, do you not worry that a more punishing dark age or a more rewarding golden age would simply accelerate a civilization's early fate? I mean if dark ages were punishing, and you're already doing not too great to have gotten there, then you're basically doomed with no way to crawl out.

If you're already doing well and got a golden age, if they were any better it simply amplifies the snowball effect (you can already snowball fairly easily).

This makes me think that the design to have some good cards for a dark age is actually not poor design. The night is darkest before dawn kind of thing...

acluewithout likes this.
  4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Just to expand on this, Twilight Valor applies to units with the Recon, Melee, Anti-Cav, Light Cav, Heavy Cav, and Naval Melee class tags.

Victoria likes this.
  5. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

What do you mean? Do you mean that skirmishers also benefit from this although they perform ranged attacks?

6. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Once again:

A dark age is not really a punishment. The fact that you're in a dark age is supposed to indicate that you're already not doing well.

A dark age should be regarded as a catch-up mechanism.

acluewithout and AsH2 like this.
  7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

It's fairly self-explanatory. The ability is attached to units with the matching tag.

acluewithout likes this.
  8. Mark the Bold

Mark the Bold Warlord

You have to watch it. After like 5 flips the game drops the bomb on you. City comes back with like full defenses, as well as encampments and next level tier units. I thought I was being cute using an enemies capital as ballistics training practice until the game flipped the bird at me. A lot of good men died for my arrogance. You have been warned.

Nefelia likes this.
  9. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

According to the deep dive videos leading up to R&G, Dark Ages aren't supposed to be crippling, they're supposed to be a minor inconvenience that can be overcome relatively easy. To this end I think they work fine as is. My only complaint is that it's virtually impossible to get a Dark Age without sabotaging yourself. That means I never get to play with some of the more interesting and flavorful policy cards in the game.

10. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

I play with a mod that alters tech/civic research speed, so that might have something to do with it. Regardless, in my usual experience with China I have time to build enough wonders to secure golden ages up to at least the Renaissance era. For this latest game, that was not the case. I didn't really analyze it beyond the impression that the Classical era had ended more quickly than it usually does in my games.

11. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

So are all of your discussions based on mods instead of standard GS games?

12. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Yup.

Dark Ages lend themselves to turtle, economising and building infrastructure. Golden Ages a more about expansion.

The mechanics are fine. Could they be more fleshed out? Yup, for sure. Moving Dark Age Cards to Dedications, having maybe an extra Dedication per Era, and or having Unique Cards for each Era would all be good changes, but what we have works.

Personally, I think making Dark Ages more painful wouldn’t make the game better. I prefer DAs and GAs just more representing different “modes” of play. If anything, Golden Ages could use a draw back, although I guess they make it more likely to get a DA so that’s some sort of consequence. And Mapuche can also just murder you.

I don’t see the point of making DAs more punishing unless the game has a bit more economic / empire management generally. If it did, I could see the value of DAs maybe tweaking the balance against you. But without that, you’d end up with just some new mechanic tacked onto DAs which I just don’t think we need.

13. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

That's an excellent suggestion.

Karmah likes this.