Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Just an overlook of my UHV gameplay in this month. The progress is 19/48 and most of them are in its "historical" way as I intended. The next civ are France and England, which I see a bit difficult and long-run. So I decide to stop for a while and make a conclusion based on current progress. The gallery post will be updated soon as well. :)
If possible, please compare the result with your own and make some comments on any civ you take interest in.

progress.png

As a farewell to the old map I've been slowly trying for every UHV on Monarch/Normal. The ones I have left are:

Japan
HRE
Turkey
Iran
America
Argentina
Colombia
Brazil

I definitely have found the 1700 AD civs harder/more frustrating since there aren't many turns left to research and accomplish your objectives, the turns themselves have a lot more options right away (especially diplomatically and building-wise) and America, Argentina and Colombia all have warfare-heavy UHV, which I tend to like a lot less than builder civs.

I've also started the same thing for religious victories on Regent/Normal, but these are progressing more slowly, mostly because the Pagan ones are kind of tedious since you have to spam so many cities, and the major religions' are usually pretty ambitious. So far I have:

Pesedjet (Egypt)
Olympianism (Greece)
Atua (Polynesia)

Judaism (Babylonia)
Hinduism (India)
Orthodoxy (Rome)

I plan to do every religious victory with its "founding" civ, as much as possible, though for Catholicism I'm not sure if I'll go with Rome or Italy. Secularism I'll just go with France.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 20
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Well, just added to my list of "Based" cities in DoC Krakow. By stealing Budapest's 3 tiles from the North, it becomes a monstruous city.
It also conflicts cores with Germany later on but.... well, its also your cores too so you can fight it with culture spread. Budapest.... however, you need 80% and spread culture like maniac. I actually spreaded so much they gave it to me thru congress.

based on what?

Well, just added to my list of "Based" cities in DoC Krakow. By stealing Budapest's 3 tiles from the North, it becomes a monstruous city.
It also conflicts cores with Germany later on but.... well, its also your cores too so you can fight it with culture spread. Budapest.... however, you need 80% and spread culture like maniac. I actually spreaded so much they gave it to me thru congress.
continuing on from "based" cities what about the cities that are just terrible? i always hate naples/pompeii its just slow and does nothing compared to the other great cities in italy

continuing on from "based" cities what about the cities that are just terrible? i always hate naples/pompeii its just slow and does nothing compared to the other great cities in italy
England, Plymouth or anywhere in the Southwest is always such a massive dud
China, the coastal cities can sometimes take forever to get off the ground... maybe I should use workshops more often
Jerusalem is always pretty mid

Egypt's terrible desert coastal city. I think it's called akhenatan or something. It has no tiles to work except desert and coast. It gets special mention since it gets built on every single 3000 bc start. please leo let us get one free city raze per civ kill im begging you

Tried Rome again to see if i can outlast the 600 AD bookmark and... all i can is:

Holy crap youre poor. Once Byzantium flips, you lose your actual source of income (Greece and possibly Egypt). Actually Historical outcome in this mod.
I knew the Barbarian spawns were quite much, but not to a RIDICULOUS extent. You are swarmed by it, the game expects Rome to die here and now!
When the medieval flips started happening, i actually thought i would get more money to spare as i would lose maintenance. Alas, the loss of revenue was too much.

Overall, sounds like a fun game to not exactly win, but to last Rome until the deadline.

Edit: Vikings get a small conqueror event on Britain if you hold London. Rarely do i see them using a catapult.
Edit: To prevent byzantium i need 20 stab. So, how does one get that as Rome in 330 AD?

1. Conquest and settle cities late. each historical city grant +2 stab that last for 20 turns. You have to remain the bonus 5 turns before Byz spawn. (This is their check time)
2. Monarch and jail to reduce overextension. Maximize food in your 4 core cities.
3. Get 2 great people. Start a golden age along with the second one from UHV. So you only have to reach Solid, rather than keep Solid.
4. If your tech is well, try reaching Feudalism and switch your civic to the extreme stable combos.
5. Christianity - Either prevent their spread by luck or spreading them ASAP. Another Prophet could help you. (You could swich to Monasicism after building UHV)
Given that your empire is well going, such efforts could help you keep Solid for a long time.

Update on my Roman kerfuffle:

Survived the split (Byz didnt spawn) and the barbarian slaughter. Found out why ancient civs have a 130% tech cost, you get way too far ahead.
Currently at Rennaissance as Rome. What exactly are you rebirthing when Rome literally stands?

Top Bottom