DDS Converter

Renobe said:
The converters seem to work on the dds files of other games but on the CIV4 dds files for the flags I just get a blank square.

The program is working correctly. The flags in Civ4 are alpha Masked with a gray solid tone primary layer. You need to understand alpha masking intimately to use most of the graphics files in the game.

I've used this program more or less exclusively for all my work and I've never had a problem, save one. For some reason, as others above have commented, I cannot open a .dds file created with photoshop. As soon as I click the .dds the program craps the bed and crashes out. Quite frustrating. But other than that, it works brilliantly.

For what it's worth, I do all my conversions between .dds and .png since .png files will preserve the alpha mask (be sure to click the preserve option in the editor).

Sevo said:
The program is working correctly. The flags in Civ4 are alpha Masked with a gray solid tone primary layer. You need to understand alpha masking intimately to use most of the graphics files in the game.

I've used this program more or less exclusively for all my work and I've never had a problem, save one. For some reason, as others above have commented, I cannot open a .dds file created with photoshop. As soon as I click the .dds the program craps the bed and crashes out. Quite frustrating. But other than that, it works brilliantly.

For what it's worth, I do all my conversions between .dds and .png since .png files will preserve the alpha mask (be sure to click the preserve option in the editor).

So how then do you get your "white" flag to show up correctly? I even changed the 0 to a 1 in the XML area.

EDIT never mind, i used DXT and was alot simpler but thx anyways.

I don't understand this power of two thing. Using MS Paint should I got in and change the pixel width and heighth of the image to 128x128. I tryed this and I still get the error.

Could one of the graphic wizards please give a few steps on how to use this prog to make a improperly sized image the right size? :)

I don't understand this power of two thing. Using MS Paint should I got in and change the pixel width and heighth of the image to 128x128. I tryed this and I still get the error.

Could one of the graphic wizards please give a few steps on how to use this prog to make a improperly sized image the right size?

Try down load The Gimp - it is basically Paintshop Pro - but it's free.

It will also let you RESIZE your images properly before converting them to .dds

Cub

Converted my .BMP and .JPG to 2^n Attributes with MSPaint. DDS conversion seems to be working OK except for color swaps.

So here's my problem, when I convert a photoshop file to a dds and use it in Civ4 it looks blurry. I though I might have done something wrong in the ps file so I converted an existing icon to a ps file and converted it back to a dds and used that file and it too looks blurry. Any ideas?

I have been having this problem too. Also, the .dds files that other modders have made often show up blurry in CIV, and many of them crash the DDS Converter program (the one linked in the first post). When I try to select them in the converter screen, the program just spontaneously quits.

Any suggestions for this?

I've downloaded a .DDS plugin for Photoshop, however despite being able to use it fine, I can only find a few of the files to edit. These are the 'city screen icons' and the production, culture, research etc... icons. I can't find any files along the lines of promotions etc... where are these files kept and how do you find them?
Thanks

KISSDemon - If you head to the Firaxis site you can find out how to unpack the art folder so every dds is available.

I just downloaded 'DDS Converter 2.1' yesterday and tried it out.
I just reinstalled it again, and it still gives me the same results.

I try to open it, and I get the 'working' cursor... then nothing happens.
I can't get the program to run... is there another converter, or something to get Corel PhotoPaint 10 to edit dds files?

I also have nifSkope... and all the models come up as white. (Imagine a great prophet with no face and is pure white...)
I think I can get away with not seeing how the dds looks on the model, so long as I can edit the dds somewhere.

I liked the DDS Converter, but it has a number of shortcomings (not the least of which is that you can't define an alpha channel from within the program, which is why so many people can't get their images to show up). After some searching I found this program from Charcoal's "Add a Civ" tutorial. It lets you view and edit your DDS files and supports limited conversion from BMP format. In conjunction with the DDS Converter, you'll have a powerful tool.

When i try to convert a .dds file to a .bmp file on the DDS Conv. 2.1, all it does is close and nothing happens. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:Help?

i can only get some files to work because in some cases, it doesn't convert because the size isn't a power of 2
̄ \(°_o)/ ̄

Top Bottom