Debate about the United Nation's purpose

Moderator Action: Off topic discussion ends here.

The US is a democracy. Forget the stupid dichotomy between republic and democracy you learned in fifth grade civics.

... But you started it, ironically enough. :lol:

Anyway, the true point of this thread still stands: If the UN had been founded as a fascist or communist organization instead of a liberal one, wouldn't it want to enforce a different set of civics? Or do we view the idea of all the nations of the world coming together to vote on things as inherently liberal? While it seems unlikely that a successful Nazi Germany would have come up with a similar idea, a communist alt-history UN could easily be imagined.

Imo banning specific civics instead of enforcing them would be more realistic at least.

... But you started it, ironically enough. :lol:

Anyway, the true point of this thread still stands: If the UN had been founded as a fascist or communist organization instead of a liberal one, wouldn't it want to enforce a different set of civics? Or do we view the idea of all the nations of the world coming together to vote on things as inherently liberal? While it seems unlikely that a successful Nazi Germany would have come up with a similar idea, a communist alt-history UN could easily be imagined.

Imo banning specific civics instead of enforcing them would be more realistic at least.

I don't care about banning or enforcing, all that can go to Dell. What I care about is DEFIANCE!!! We should be able to defy any resolution we want. If the UN Votes to give Germany control of Paris, Germany should be able to defy it!

I don't care about banning or enforcing, all that can go to Dell. What I care about is DEFIANCE!!! We should be able to defy any resolution we want. If the UN Votes to give Germany control of Paris, Germany should be able to defy it!

Ah, the nobility. That just brought tears to my eyes.

The only thing i feel that the UN is used for is to other civs become the Secretary General and then impose me of using a civic that i do not want (I.E: Me as USA and being forced to Egalitarianism, losing +2 happiness and the power of CE)

How about we get real and make the United Nations a sycophant for corporate interests.

"330 out of 360 votes for Egalitarianism."
Result: Iron disappears =/

About the global civics, why not allow to propose the last two or three entries of any given civic column?

Sure, tributaries, slavery and despotism are nothing that should become global civics, but sometimes there is a political climate that favors civics like Totalitarianism and Ideology.
And I don't get why Secularity can be globalized, but not Tolerance.

Or, you know, that.

Edit: oops, this thread is a bit older.

About the global civics, why not allow to propose the last two or three entries of any given civic column?

Sure, tributaries, slavery and despotism are nothing that should become global civics, but sometimes there is a political climate that favors civics like Totalitarianism and Ideology.
And I don't get why Secularity can be globalized, but not Tolerance.

Or, you know, that.

Edit: oops, this thread is a bit older.
I like this thread.

I think compared to the Congress system everything in the UN feels a bit cumbersome. The best solution would be to use the Congress code as a framework to create a completely new UN which incorporates some of these ideas.

Top Bottom