Decrease building sizes in L-System [IMPLEMENTED]

jooe

Warlord
I would like to suggest overall reducing and harmonizing the sizes of constructed buildings (especially of lower tiers) as shown in L-System. This would improve the following 3 problems for me:
1) Cities "overflowing" into the neighboring plots
2) an apparent mismatch between larger late game buildings (eg. congress hall) and smaller low level buildings (eg. medical office, powder makers house, corn chamber ...): The lower level buildings feel much larger than they should be, check e.g. the window and door sizes.
3) an apparent mismatch between constructed buildings and the general purpose buildings signifying city population.

I played around with buildings sizes (and also the LSYSTEM_axb dimensions) and adjusted some of them in my local copy as I came by seeing them ingame.
They are not exhaustive or systematic, but as I changed many of the buildings I build in every city, it already looks a lot better to me.
If you agree, I could push those changes to New_Hope.

As a general guideline to follow, I would suggest:
- tier 1 buildings (...'s house etc.) and supportive buildings (corn chamber, prison, ...) should fit in LSYSTEM_1x1
- tier 2 buildings should fit in LSYSTEM_2x1
- tier 3 buildings should fit in LSYSTEM_2x2 (except when their artwork does not allow this)
- only some late game buildings and national monuments use the larger LSYSTEM_axb sizes

New_Hope:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-02-03 20-29-05.png

New_Hope_Local:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-02-03 20-32-11.png

I just completed revising all the building sizes and commited my changes. I tried to harmonize the building sizes according to the principles noted above, sometimes this was not entirely possible due to the art design though.
Also I tried to avoid buildings clipping into others when they were too large for the LSystem-space assigned.
The only thing I was not able to change at all were the fortifications, because their size and position around the city are somehow linked. So those probably would have to be changed directly in the art files.

Please give feedback if you notice something you don't like so I can reconsider the changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom