• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Deity Challenge 3

RedRover57

Emperor
Tired of wide empires with 10 minutes of micromanaging during each turn? Well then this is the game for you. You will be playing as Persia on a standard pangaea map. Quick combat is the only deviation from the default. Here is the starting site (first roll):

Spoiler :

The Challenge: A maximum of 4 settled cities (including the capitol) are allowed. No DoWing allowed, but if you are declared on then feel free to conquer your attacker (but only razing or puppeting allowed - no annexing). No Liberty tree allowed. Any victory condition allowed, but Domination is highly unlikely unless you can goad everyone into attacking you!

Good luck!

Attachments

• DariusDeiStart.Civ5Save
    416.9 KB · Views: 112
No DoWing - does that include not DoWing citystates? (so I can steal an early worker ..)

Good production start and I popped mining from a ruin, so I decided to go GL and I got it on turn 37 after mining silver, selling to buy grainery so I could focus all on hammers, and chopping a tree. Free tech to get philosophy, waited until philo to select policy for free temple, bought water mill while building NC then went for Oracle and got it also, filling out Tradition on move 63:
2011-08-07_00001.jpg

Rome settled 3 tiles north of me, time to beef up on immortals and instigate a war?

I like this one. Domination isn't really my style as often when i have to decide units or buildings , i often went buildings even though i know its bad. Finished last challenge with domination but just way too time consuming.
Dowing on city states is the same as dowing civ and imo its an exploit that i'll never use as well. I think they need a patch to fix this like no dowing city states for first 100 turns etc.
I think I'll go for a science victory. Not too familiar with culture win and dip victory is just not too legit most of time.
Having another restriction where we need to raze all cities instead of puppet will make this challenge even better.

Dowing on city states is the same as dowing civ and imo its an exploit that i'll never use as well. I think they need a patch to fix this like no dowing city states for first 100 turns etc.

You steal one worker - even if you make peace right away you still have that city state at -60 influence - that city is out of your influence for the next 50 turn at least ...By that time is usually already allied with another civ...

You try and steal another and funny things start to happen - city states get concerned - double influence loss ratio for all CS (which is HUGE), perma wars and such. I think is pretty well balanced.

No DoWing - does that include not DoWing citystates? (so I can steal an early worker ..)

No wars initiated by the player, so no DoWing CS. Feel free to steal a worker from a CS that is allied to a civ that DoWs you (although this will not likely help at the start).

I was originally thinking about having no puppets allowed either, but thought that it might be too tough. But feel free to try without puppeting if you dare. That would keep it in the spirit of playing a peaceful tall empire.

Spoiler :
I may have to restart my game already. I don't think I have the right strategy down yet for a tall empire post-patch. Rome is a runaway beast in my game - they have almost twice the score of the next highest civ. They had 6 cities placed by the time I settled my second (and I went Scout - Worker - Warrior - Settler for starting build order). I settled my second city 3 tiles N on the river near the sugar and bananas, and now Rome is butting against my borders. Surprisingly he hasn't DoWed me yet on turn 72. In my game GL went on turn 34 and HG on turn 48 (to Rome, which also got SH really early).

Is it best to just stay at one city and try to grow as fast as possible? By settling the second city early I didn't get the NC until about turn 70. But I would have lost that second site to Rome for sure. There is a good third site to the SSW and that's probably it for the space available.

Because you're going tall with tradition - your capital will probably reach high pop numbers.
Observatory can add tons of science per turn on a high pop city.

Problem of course you would have to sacrifice a silver lux to settle near mountain ...

Maybe some people can do better, but I am finding this map to be impossible with the restrictions that I imposed.

Spoiler :
Rome is too out of control in every attempt. They don't have anyone near to keep them in check and they seem content to just REX like crazy and not DoW this game. When I tried staying at one city until after the NC, Rome spammed cities right past me on the west coastline. When I tried spamming a few settlers early to claim my territory, I got way too far behind in tech as I couldn't grow my capitol. Anyone else having any luck?

I'm at turn 79 and surviving, but it doesnt look that good.

Spoiler :
I did manage to get Rome to DoW me. I allied Almaty and soon after Rome attacked Almaty and asked for help. I then denounced Rome and gifted most of my units to Almaty. That ticked him and he DoW'ed me on the next turn.

Of course, now I had almost no units and he could still send a horde of archers, spearmen and horsemen towards me. But with walls plus that 100% city attack bonus I've managed to defend my self without losses. And now I got an archer, a swordsman and an immortal to help me defending and it looks like I can (just maybe) stop him.

I've also settled to more cities - one to SW and one to the east at the cotton/fish (though this city will need Optics to develop). But I fear that my war with Rome will delay my progress too much. I really need to get the HS+PT combo and Rationalism for RAs. I did build NC first, but I still feel that I'm on shaky grounds. Right now I'm in need of money for both RAs and allying either Belgrade or Quebec, but my happiness just took a dip into red with my two new cities. We'll see

I'm at turn 79 and surviving, but it doesnt look that good.

Spoiler :
I did manage to get Rome to DoW me. I allied Almaty and soon after Rome attacked Almaty and asked for help. I then denounced Rome and gifted most of my units to Almaty. That ticked him and he DoW'ed me on the next turn.

Of course, now I had almost no units and he could still send a horde of archers, spearmen and horsemen towards me. But with walls plus that 100% city attack bonus I've managed to defend my self without losses. And now I got an archer, a swordsman and an immortal to help me defending and it looks like I can (just maybe) stop him.

I've also settled to more cities - one to SW and one to the east at the cotton/fish (though this city will need Optics to develop). But I fear that my war with Rome will delay my progress too much. I really need to get the HS+PT combo and Rationalism for RAs. I did build NC first, but I still feel that I'm on shaky grounds. Right now I'm in need of money for both RAs and allying either Belgrade or Quebec, but my happiness just took a dip into red with my two new cities. We'll see

Spoiler :
I 've just completed a my first deity win [science] with the romans using a tall empire [~turn 300]. [5 cities].
Full tradition, Full honor, Some Freedom. No Porcelain Tower, no rationalism, only two late game RAs ... Used the cash to ally city states [maritime for growth, cultured for social policies] ... The only World wonders I managed to snag - some by accident - Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower & Sidney Opera House ...

You should probably concentrate on dealing with Rome now and worry about the RAs latter ...

This time i followed the rules :p

Spoiler :
Settled in place, researched straight to Philo. Built the NC turn 50. Bought a settler right in time and put the 2nd city in extremis on the sugar tile before Romans. Built a 3rd one and bought a 4th city. One west around cows and horse tiles and another one east for blocking purpose(near the natural wonder). Filled the Trad. tree.

Rome didn't like that sugar city of mine and declared war some turns later. I rush buyed 3 immortals but i couldnt save all of them before civil service. I could only upgrade 1 of them :(. Still, i'm defending now against him and the 3 cs around me are at war against me too. Education turn 105, HS turn 107. PT right after. 2 RAs popped so far and 5 others are coming. No policy in Rationalism yet(coming in 15 turns, before other RAs will pop-up).

Rome is the superpower, i'm defending against hordes of units since turn 55 but everything is in control since the initial attack. I built some pikemen(with no UU bonuses) and archers behind. I hope that my tech rate will be high enough to reach rifles in time. Now i have to resist again and again and turtling in the tech tree and see if a diplo or science victory is possible.

Spoiler :
Are the restriction too much or is it just a difficult map? It would have been interesting going for early immortals but then what if nobody dow's? I guess Rome would be a good bet for that but I tried a HS, PT push anyways. Settled the sugar, SW on the coastal river and was going to go for Old Faithfull. But Egypt got that. So I put the fourth city on the silver surrounded by mountains. I managed to ally with Almaty but Rome took them down very fast and then threw a full assault on me. Just before I got the PT on turn 107 I lost the northern city to Rome and soon after the coastal city to the CS. Oh well I guess I might try it with an early immortal game but maybe Rome will be too strong anyways. And reaserch will be bad.

I'm not sure the game restrictions are really so onerous. How many more than 4 cities can you usually settle on Deity? I always regret my 5th city. I think a typical liberty opening is indicated here. Not being able to DOW is the more serious restriction, I'm guess it's time to practice making mean faces.

Well, I will amend my previous statement. I don't think the map is impossible with these restrictions, just very very tough. In fact, I don't think that the restrictions are the main issue. The map would be ideal for these conditions except for one thing...

Spoiler :
The main issue is Rome. In every attempt so far they are an early runaway since they are basically left untouched by the other civs. I have signed a DoF with Askia (who is second strongest and right on the other side of Rome) every time, but I can't bribe him to war Rome for anything. So DoF is pretty worthless.

In my third attempt I had a really good start (comparatively):

Spoiler :
I settled up next to the mountain, which lost a few turns, but gained a sugar, bananas, horses and silver (which offset the lost silver). So a very good trade-off. I waited until 4 pop then settled a 2nd city to my west (2 silver site) to block Rome from spamming cities down into my territory. I built the NC by turn 60 or so, then I settled a third city in the awesome river/coastal growth site to the south (3 sheep, 2 cattle, 1 horses, 2 fish and another silver!). I settled city 4 a bit later to the SE as Egypt was starting to encroach from that direction. This sealed off my territory nicely.

I beelined to Theology, built Hagia Sofia and was going to use the free GE to build Chichen Itza, but I was 5 turns too late, so I used it for PT after researching Education. My plan was then to bulb Astronomy with the free GS from the PT and get an observatory into my capitol ASAP. Plus this would allow me to take Freedom as my next SP (I finished the Tradition tree sometime in the 90's and the timing was looking perfect). Was a great plan until Uncle Caesar decided to crash the party.

Rome DoWed me on turn 92. Luckily I had Quebec City as an ally from rescuing a couple of their workers earlier and this slowed Rome down quite a bit as they attempted to take the CS. In addition, I used 750 hard earned gold to ally Almaty and they also helped kill a few Romans. I held them off at Quebec City for about 24 turns and then this happened:

Spoiler :

Apparently Caesar spent his first 92 turns hiring and trucking in cheap labor from Mexico. I had to make a retreat and likely both CS are lost. I bought iron from another civ to keep my swords strong when I lose the iron from QC. I have 5 turns until I can upgrade my archers to crossbows (but no cash currently to upgrade them) and I still have 3 super pikes (upgraded from Immortals). Plus I have a good defensive position with both cities. So we'll see what happens.

If not for Rome I could really start to rock with my current cities. My capitol is going to be a GS super factory.

Edit: I have one other thing going for me. I will go into GA right about when Rome gets to my cities.

My first attempt at the map but I did read some comments here while playing. I will stick to my own rule of no puppets as I think it defeats the whole challenge of this map. One can easily "force" AI to dow you....its just too easy. So its very possible to go the semi conquest way to control runaway and expand yourself etc.

Anyway , I settle in place(i think mountain may have been better). Got GL on turn 36 , NC on 47. Built a city SW and "block" off rome expansion near sugar. I didn't want to settle there too early for fear of making him angry. Took 3rd city near the Natural Wonder and 4th near sugar very late.
Egypt Dow me for no reason but I easily hold him off due to the choke point of the 3rd city. He also Dow 2 other civil after dowing me.(Warmonging egypt??? He has almost no wonder in my game , Rome and Germans got them all)
I built HS , rushed PT. Got Astronomy(Maybe i didn't have to rush for rationalism that fast and could have get banking instead) at around turn 110. Built Notre Dame , failed taj unfortunately. =(
I'm on turn 150+ , 4th in Literacy at 47% with rome at 53%. I have 2 GS ready to pop to replaceable parts and a 3rd coming out in 4 turns.
View attachment 297965
I think chances of winning is low. Rome starting location is just too good , nobody near him and he can rex like crazy...

Rome is insane this game, kind of reminds me of Germany from the last LP Deity challenge. Tons of room to expand without much pressure from other civs early. I dont even think the DoW restriction hurts us that badly as I dont think an immortal rush would slow him down much, he just gets too big too fast. Was a fun attempt but I think my science is losing me the game, I might give it another go going for the mountain settle but then again I've yet to win a Deity game yet so maybe I shouldn't be playing the Deity challenge at all lol.

After I 3 GS pop , I was number 1 in Literacy but because I sarcrifice units for buildings hoping rome won't dow me....I lost the game.
Not sure if I'll try again.

Top Bottom