Deity Photojournal - Siam, new Statecraft, Diplomatic Victory, 12-6-1 version

What game version is it? I'll take a shot

Current version, but it is a multiplayer save. I can give you my Modpack and a save. Though it is not that interesting, just plains start with lack of culture and food between of Huns and Zulu

EDIT: i started Portugal and wanted to capture one of them by rushing to Dromons, but faced walls and huge amount of Archers. And when there are two of them it is to much, you simply do not have enough units to defend

resources were not always locked behind techs, and when that change was implemented it was hotly debated with people arguing for both sides. likely that is the reason why it is the first Option in the community Options file, which is no different than simply having it an option in the pre-game menu. this is not some special mod or script, theres a reason that its an option. i can't defend him knowing the layout of the world before he starts a game, but i can defend resource reveal because i do this as well and it gives no advantage to the player, but it does make city planning more strategic and fun early on rather than a randomized crapshoot when you find out later your coastal city has no fish or there was 3 deer camps just out of workrange or whatever.
There is also an option that hides all resources, so revealing luxes also requires a tech.
Can you tell, if you know, why this option was not chosen as default?
Also, isn’t that the whole idea of resource reveal to be a little surprised and forced to adjust your strategy to situation? Makes for more interesting gameplay, I think.

Current version, but it is a multiplayer save. I can give you my Modpack and a save. Though it is not that interesting, just plains start with lack of culture and food between of Huns and Zulu

EDIT: i started Portugal and wanted to capture one of them by rushing to Dromons, but faced walls and huge amount of Archers. And when there are two of them it is to much, you simply do not have enough units to defend
Do you have horses? The huns aren't actually difficult to defeat so long as you can fight them early. Zulu is probably the hardest AI to fight. Portugal is a really bad civ to be in that situation

Do you have horses? The huns aren't actually difficult to defeat so long as you can fight them early. Zulu is probably the hardest AI to fight. Portugal is a really bad civ to be in that situation
I play strategic balance, so yes. I think Portugal is great for early naval aggression, you research Trade ASAP, get a lot of science from your UA and with that help you can get to Sailing very early and strike with Dromons before your enemy has his own ships. But with Walls on dozens of Archers you can't do much cause ships do not heal. And well those two are way too much. 1 of them is okay, but not two of them at once

Also, isn’t that the whole idea of resource reveal to be a little surprised and forced to adjust your strategy to situation? Makes for more interesting gameplay, I think.
As i said, right now i play without revealed resources and it didn't change my strategy at all. I still went Sailing into Military Theory and i was building cities without Cows, Horses and Iron. Well maybe i lost couple of them, but its not a big deal

My only rejection here is that revealed resources and map land at the start of the game make a lot of hard decisions alot easier. Part of fun on this game (at least for me) is the exploring of the unknown. I settle a coastal city for example. If i knew before hand theres no fish in the area but i just wanted that whales anyway, is tottaly different than settle cuz of whales, and the discover theres also fish there. It just adds to the excitment. Thats my play style at least. Deity is super super hard if played properly, no extra mods, no marathon or epic games etc etc. All standard settings. Yes you probaply lose 8/10 games and abandon a dozen more midgame. Cuz thats how it supposed to be. But those two times you win , it feels really really great.

P.S I want to apologise also for derailing this photjournal. This will be my last post offtopic on this thread. Keep em coming those photojournals!

Last edited:
My only rejection here is that revealed resources and map land at the start of the game make a lot of hard decisions alot easier. Part of fun on this game (at least for me) is the exploring of the unknown. I settle a coastal city for example. If i knew before hand theres no fish in the area but i just wanted that whales anyway, is tottaly different than settle cuz of whales, and the discover theres also fish there. It just adds to the excitment. Thats my play style at least. Deity is super super hard if played properly, no extra mods, no marathon or epic games etc etc. All standard settings. Yes you probaply lose 8/10 games and abandon a dozen more midgame. Cuz thats how it supposed to be. But those two times you win , it feels really really great.

P.S I want to apologise also for derailing this photjournal. This will be my last post offtopic on this thread. Keep em coming those photojournals!
Not an offtopic at all.

In fact i expected such reaction from many people. But the purpose of this game in the first place was to test new difficulty curve, new Springtime and new Statecraft, so ye i was looking for good (but not imbalanced) start that will be suitable for this. Next time i might make another game with universal civ and play the game without any plan

Last edited:
Do you remember where this city view is available? Is it compatible with EUI?
Google it, it is called "improved city view". I'm not sure if it should be installed from forum or via steam but it either here or there. It is compatible with EUI

Can you tell, if you know, why this option was not chosen as default?

I honestly couldnt disagree more, but thats why its nice to have options in the game for us both

about why any particular option was chosen as default over others? probably the same reason tech trading has been set to default when its a weird and easily exploitable feature or a half-baked events system was left on default for so long as well... (answer: 'something' has to be the default after all and honestly I have no clue)

Zestikios: While I have also found the posts of a few Deity players questionable or offensive, I have no issue with anyone looking at a map beforehand to decide if a given map is worth investing time in. Sometimes it can take me a couple of hours to get far enough into a game to discover that the map it is not what I want to play at that time, for whatever reasons. I would prefer to avoid wasting a couple of hours when I can spend five minutes before starting turn zero and sort it out.

I think what you said about making some decisions easier (or altering how the decisions are made) can be true, but I also think it depends on specifics. For example, the race for ruins vs a map that does not include ruins, meeting city-states as early as possible to see their quests, delaying exploration to allow early war without warmonger penalties from civs you might have met if you had explored more thoroughly, and so on. I suppose what I saying is that I have reasons to both delay and pursue exploration and seeing the map early won't change what I do.

Aside from that, I am also a fan of the photo journal style of After Action Reports for Civ play-throughs.

Google it, it is called "improved city view". I'm not sure if it should be installed from forum or via steam but it either here or there. It is compatible with EUI
There are 3 versions of that mod. I’m using „(vox populi with EUI)” from Steam. Also, if you add a mod reference to (6a) component of VP, you won’t have to delete any files from vp.

I like Portugal for many generals! I can build a real Panama Canal!
upload_2017-12-19_1-6-39.png

So I am not the only one with an unreasonable fondness for creating canals?

Last edited:
So I am npt.the only one with an unreasonable fondness for creating canals?
In my case this was needed. Look at the minimap, there is a lot of City-States on the east coast, and i was not able to reach them with ships. I wanted to build feitorias there to boost my trade routes.

Btw, overall my current game seems like a very easy one, i'm about to enter Industrial on turn 300 wich is a very good timing and i'm leading in tech for the last 100 turns. Not sure if it was a lucky start (which was definitely lucky) or should difficulty curve be harder for Epic

True, very nice canal and actually very benifital for your strategy.

Regarding the game: if egypt was smart enough to aquire another aluminium you would have lost right? Was there enough time to built the last booster?

Regarding the game: if egypt was smart enough to aquire another aluminium you would have lost right? Was there enough time to built the last booster?

by the looks of things they probly didnt even need to 'acquire' it just delete some of their 40+ surplus overcapped units that likely were using some

by the looks of things they probly didnt even need to 'acquire' it just delete some of their 40+ surplus overcapped units that likely were using some

Well I meant aquire in the sense of making it avaliable somehow for the last part. Don't know what I would think about such a win then, seems like Egypt should have won easily

Yes definetely. AI's production is very high, it takes him around 1-2 turns to complete every part. He was able to win like 10 turns earlier at least. Maybe even 20. He just decided not to. This win really didn't seem like a win, more like an exploit or mistake

Top Bottom