Delcares Formal War on myself, friendly nation follows suit

I had this happen in my second game as China, where upon meeting Germany we both declared war on me. Now, In another game as Arabia, I am friends with Aztec. Montezuma sends a message asking to renew our friendship, I accept, then he declares a Formal War on me, and Hadrassa follows suit immediately thereafter.

It seems to happen around 70ish turns I think? At least this time I didn't civil war...

I just found my other me: it was warmonger Gandhi. He was the unknown civilization that declared war on me which than was shows as another Rome (because we have not met before).
So much for Gandhi's agenda.

Have had this happen too, playing both the Romans and the Aztecs being attacked by the Indians and Kongolese respectively. Surreal, to say the least. (I'm also noticing a peculiarly high number of war declarations by the AI for no apparent reason, but I may just not comprehend their machiavellian minds.)

Well, I'm pretty sure this is a bug. Somehow as Fredrick I can't stop people declaring war on me. It has now become so bad that I am declaring war on myself! I think I just got the worst diplomacy bug ever! Version 1.0.0.26

this happened to me last night kongo (me) declared a formal war on me and right afterward so did egypt! when i saw it i thought wtf than i thought oh it must have been Egypt declaring war that was just a weird glitch?

add me to the list, "My name is Gilgamesh and I declared war on myself" add I looked pretty pissed when I did it...hahahaha

This just happened to me - playing as CLEO - as you can see from the screenshot I just DOWed myself... and she's mumbling something about Russia, who I have not yet met. Then Germany follows suit.

Really bizarre.... I tried to reload, same thing.

Really needs to be patched ASAP

EDIT: I made peace with germany and met Russia quite a few turns later. Of course we were at war with each other even though we had not yet met.

Attachments

• cleopatra dow self.jpg
    cleopatra dow self.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
This happened to me several times already. As far as i can tell, it's a glitch, not a bug

This will occur when a civ you haven't met yet declares (probably through a "joint war") against you. I guess the UI is unable to display the correct screen because you haven't met the civ yet, and defaults to your screen because the human player is always civilization #1
Keep exploring and you will probably find an unknown civilization with whom you are already at war.

The real bug for me is AIs being able to DoW a civilization they haven't met.

Yeah, as Lord Yanaek states above, that seems to be the issue with my game. happened at least twice so far (playing as Kongo and Egypt)
Their declare war message is wrong, because it was actually Norway/and China declaring war on me in a joint war with a Civ I've already met (England and America respectively),
so once I finally met them, I saw they were at war with me.

looks the bug I was coming to post has happened to a lot of people:

Playing a the Aztec, it is turn 56 on Epic speed. I only just met Russia a few turns ago, and I got a notice of formal war (don't you need to denounce first to do that? Cause that didn't happen). If that wasn't odd enough, I see a screen with Monty yelling at me, also declaring formal war. I'll state again that I -AM- Monty, and no I did not select duplicate civs in this game.

When I look at the notifications it shows me that America has declared war on me...but I haven't even met America yet?

On top of it all, Russia DoW'd me with an unprotected settler literally right next to my scout. Not a bug, I know, but jesus, what a dumb move.

Here is the save file - just hit next turn.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B42EmhT9yNLCRUNjeW5fZTU5TDQ

Edit - I've met an American scout, but still haven't formally met America...

Last edited:
I, too, as Rome have DoW'ed myself, then Gilgamesh joins in. I am using a mod, but based on the information here, there is a bug in the main game.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0117.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
I bumped into something a little funny. I met Monty on a turn... and he immediately declared Formal War. That part doesn't really annoy me being still in the ancient/classical era... What was funny is that he got in a joint war with someone I haven't even met yet.

So since I didn't actually meet the guy, I got a war screen, with myself. It was only on the side bar notifications that I could even see who I was actually going to war with...

I kept the save of the turn right after it happened if anyone at Firaxis wants to see it.

I too had this happen. I was playing Trajan (Rome) and I declared peace because I didn't have enough forces and the AI had too many archers and was obliterating me.

anyway, when I hit the next turn button, I get a notice from Trajan that the Empress was unhappy with me and declared war one me? wtf? Why is my wife declaring war on me! ROFLMAO.

On a side note, I keep getting Sumerian (Gilgimesh) and Scythian (Tomyris) constantly starting war, then declaring peace with me a turn or two later.

I'm not at my computer that has Civ6 on it, so I can't post the patch number. However, this has happened to me as well. I have assumed that it is a behavior manifested because of the true bug which is that a civ should not be permitted to declare war on a civ that it has not met.

This just happened in my game, too. Teddy declared war on me, but I haven't met him, so I declared war on myself. Is there any way to make peace, though? I guess I could go and find Teddy, but short of that, am I stuck with war exhaustion forever because of this bug?

Yup, this has happened several times to me already. I've twice been declared war on by civs I haven't met yet, and each time it was accompanied by a declaration of war by myself.

I think what's happening is that an AI you already know arranges a joint war against you together with a civ you haven't met, and the animations default to your own leader.

I've also had cases of a civ instantly declaring war on me on the turn I discover them.

That must be the problem indeed. The same happened to me. This should help the developers fix the bug.

Same. I found it odd that Greece was able to declare formal war against me without having denounced yet. I suppose it was actually a joint war but displayed formal instead because then my own leader declared formal war on myself. Shorty after I encountered an Indian scout who attacked my scout even though we had not officially met yet.

This will occur when a civ you haven't met yet declares (probably through a "joint war") against you. I guess the UI is unable to display the correct screen because you haven't met the civ yet, and defaults to your screen because the human player is always civilization #1

That's why I'm thinking too. I've encountered this exact behavior in multiple games now.

However: Getting a DOW from a Civ you haven't met shouldn't even be possible, IMO. They should fix the AI's ability to do so.

S.

Same issue happened to me. I ended a turn and a neutral civ declared war on me. I also declared war on myself at the same time. Save file included. (War declaration happens after ending turn. I'm Brazil.)

Thank you

Attachments

• PEDRO II 40 2440 BC.Civ6Save
    947.9 KB · Views: 110
Happened to me too. I DoW myself, Russia DoWs. However, I have a theory. When I met the Sumerians several turns later, I was at war with them. My hypothesis is that this was a joint war between Peter and Gilgamesh, but since I hadn't met Gil yet the game used my own image as a default for showing the declaration.

Top Bottom