Demogame: The good, the bad, and the ugly

YES!!! Finally a return to the Glory days of DG1.... hopefully.

Never was a fan of the National Forest movement, restricting development in DG1, personally, but it did add an interesting factor to work around.

The problem with DG1's RPG I must admit is people have to make a creative effort to spice things up in their discussions. And, sometimes even a few threads in the Citizens forum devoted just to "events," which have nothing to do with actual planning.

In-game RPG sounds fun. :)

At least it's much better than the DGIV's history department. It was a good read, but that was it. Shorter RPG-entries and having them all over the DG sounds a lot more fun.

As for some RPG rules:
1. Characters can live for as long as you wish.
2. Characters should(?) be the same as your forum-name. (So that people don't make 3 characters with different names etc, and so that the RPG characters will be someone holding an office, etc.)
3. Don't kill other peoples characters or otherwise make very large changes for the character or the characters surroundings without agreement with the other party.
4. One can only use the technologies we know in-game.

Seeing that this is the ONLY "lively" discussion right now...

1 - I think some of us have a different understanding of the word "RPG" (or roleplay):

a - A game where you play the role of a character, limited (or unlimited) by your current environment, interacting with others.

b - A game where your character (or groups) go on 'quests', or 'tasks', in order to achieve a goal.

c - A Strategy/RPG like DG2 became with the land stuff.

d - (this is the way I think it should be) Spur-of-the-moment-actions. Citizen Groups, posting events in city and governor threads, and posting other events/writings within the citizen discussion thread. For an example, look at DG1 (I don't mean the end of the demogame, I mean ones like the Asphinxian Banquet, Ehecatl's stories, etc.). Remember when we built an ironclad (or destroyer) for him? The best roleplay in DG2 was when we were invaded by India with the "Resistence Movement".

If you try to organize fun, it isn't fun. Here's an example of a spur of the moment "role-play" thread that I could make:

1 - Open a thread about a tribe, Japan, wandering around somewhere. The surroundings can be loosely described.

2 - Just make up whatever you want. Maybe it could be about meeting someone from a previous demogame civ, or maybe tell stories of how the French became the Japanese.

The #1 rule is to be creative. I think the problem here is that some are putting 100% of their "creativity" into dotting the i's and crossing the t's in the ruleset. This isn't fun. If I wanted to do that, I'd find a "mock-trial" club at a college.

Yeah, "d" is what I've always enjoyed, and it was a Destroyer btw ;)

The other options are best reserved for other games... for goodness sakes, that's why I play Final Fantasy XI

I'd join the DG if only to join the in-game RPG. :D

oops, sorry about tha bump. :p

Top Bottom