Describing the demogame

Strider

In Retrospect
Okay, we must describe the Game of Democracy somewhere. I'm betting we lose dozens of players every game, because they have no idea what the hell the game is and there is no where that says what it is.

So, I ask of you. What is the demogame? Make it short, no long drawn out explanations. The best one gets used as the official description!

Let the competition begin!

A Game of Democracy, or 'demogame' as the regulars call it, is a game of civilization where every aspect of the game (such as what to build, what to research, when to declare war, etc.) is decided according to the will of the people. There are elected officials in charge of certain areas of the government (military, science, trading, etc.) who gather the input and ideas from citizens and post it in a thread for reference to the President. The President is the leader of this game, and every few days, he plays the save for 10 turns at a time in a 'turnchat', in the #turnchat channel, accessible via the java client at the bottom of the page (click "Chat Room"), where citizens and officials can read real-time news from the game. It is a game open to everyone and anyone where you are guaranteed to be able to share your opinion on how things should be run!

Then I would include more info about how to get to the chat room, turnchat process, turnchat threads, saves, and links to the constitution and main threads.

The Democracy Game is a game of Civilization 3 (Conquests) being played by a group of people. We also try to take on the role as the government of the nation we play as. The game lasts for 5-10 terms (months), in which we play the game, having new elections every month. We elect officials to cover all aspects of Civ. The specifics might change from game to game, but consistently they cover these areas: Domestic (Internal), Foreign (External), Trade, Resources & Technology, Culture, Millitary, President, Vice President (appointed by President), and governors for all our provinces. These officials run the game and give instructions to the Designated Player (President) so he/she knows what to do during the Turnchat, where they play the game. Every action officials take, however, can be discussed and polled in the forums. There are 3 main forums. The first is the Citizens forum, where all registered citizens can discuss all issues related to the nation. Officials can start discussion threads, citizens can start discussions about issues, and people can also start Citizen Groups, which advocate reaching a specific goal in the game. The second forum is the Government forum. Here all the elected officials must have a Government thread for their office. These threads must be reguarly updated to keep the public updated as to what is happening in the game. Citizens can also post questions, comments, and requests in these threads. The last forum is the Polls forum. In this forum officials make polls for people to vote on issues. These polls are usually legally binding. Citizens can also post survey polls, to see public opinions on a topic. Most decisions are made by the results of these polls.

Is this ok? Is this too in-depth? Should it be shorter?

I'm looking for something alittle bit shorter than that. We will deal with long-winded detailed explanations also, but what I'm looking for is something one to two sentences that explains what the demogame is.

The Demo Game is like a virtual life. You are part of a Civ trying to become powerful and going through the hurdles of life. But there is one unique thing: Your Civ is completely democratic where YOU and the person next to you make the decisions. You vote in polls that can change the games world. You can be a part of the most powerful government in the world and make a HUGE differance. Remember though: The Government can't do anything without you, the player, THE citizen. YOU make the differance in a Democracy Game.

Here is my intro for DG4:

What is Game of Democracy IV?

When you play a game of Civilization III, you make all the decisions – where to build cities, what city improvements to build, who to attack. You are the sole decision maker. Now imagine that you are playing the game and 3 of your friends are sitting at the computer with you. All 4 of you are deciding together how to play the game. This is a democracy.

In Game of Democracy IV (Democracy Game, DemoGame), there are many people involved with making the decisions on how the game is played. Instead of all sitting at the same computer, we use the forums to discuss the game with each other. To manage many people playing the game, a government has been formed to provide a structured way for everyone to be involved in the decision making process. This government is much like real life. It has a Constitution, a Code of Laws, and elections to select Leaders that are responsible for managing certain aspects of the game. Continue reading and you will find all you need to know to participate in the DemoGame.

Nice Zorvan :goodjob:! Easy on the eyes and it does all it needs to do.

Of course, it isn't 1 to 2 sentences.

...but what I'm looking for is something one to two sentences that explains what the demogame is.

But I do agree it is very nicely done, well done zorven. :) Planning to make a return for DG7?

Strider said:
Nice Zorvan :goodjob:! Easy on the eyes and it does all it needs to do.

I saw that paragraph on the old Demogame site. That what convince me to join and try to play the game.

Double Stack said:
I saw that paragraph on the old Demogame site. That what convince me to join and try to play the game.

That's one of the thing's I've been hearing alot from newer players also. Which is why I've been pushing for something to introduce people into the game, not because it was some completely random idea I came up with, but because the newer players I've talked to have said that we need one.

Ginger_Ale said:
Of course, it isn't 1 to 2 sentences.

But I do agree it is very nicely done, well done zorven. :) Planning to make a return for DG7?

Thank you and Double Stack. I will probably return in at least a minor role, but no promises :D

Top Bottom