Design an Event contest (public poll)

Which event should be added to FfH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can it be solved by making animal lairs a resource that is destroyed when moved onto, and giving them a high chance of appearance outside cultural borders?

I'd propose adding animals to the Barbarian 's buildable list (or as a new Barbarian Civ), but animals Coming from a town is wierd.

Other Ideas include to make Barbarian Goblin Workers able to build animal dens, but then they need AI work to encourage doing so.

Dang, I thought I had a good one. Oh well. The choices are surprisingly few. I like Bring Em Back Alive and Glorious Combat. Heads or tails.

There must be a few ways of keeping animals going for a while, eg:

Make lairs less common but tougher (guarded by super bear/lion etc that doesn't leave), and spawn slower to avoid the Sea of Bears. Also, have lairs for all animal types, so the elusive gorillas and tigers don't go extinct so quick. Of course, this lends itself to "camping" (parking a unit next to the lair to catch all it's spawns), but hopefully reducing the spawn rate would make this less of a profitable exercise.

Have a common event that spawns animals (e.g. "hard winters have brought ravenous wolves out of the hills", "huntsmen report sightings of an elusive tiger near X"). This is less exploitable, since the spawn point can't necessarily be predicted, but does by implication reduce other, perhaps more interesting, events.

That's just a couple of suggestions, and I've no idea what can be done with Python. There's more than one way to skin a cat (assuming you can catch the bugger first!).

I like all of the above. Seriously, put them all in the game. Its not like spells or units where adding a ton of new ones would unbalance the game. The more events the better. And all of these are well thought out and worth including.

I like Glorious Combat event, but wish to note it have a nasty weakness - if you choose 'a' at any time this event will never(!) be triggered again.

But, what if you just can't affort any of another choises right now, or just have no any of required civic?
What if you are in anarchy?

I suggest it will be better 'event will not be triggered again for next X turns' will be much better. May be in these turns cultural values of your Empire will be reconsidered? ;-)

Seriously, I have about 1 5% chance of completing the Grand CArnival Wonder unles I use save/reload bunch - I kow it is an awesome/cheap wonder, but unless really focused on, to detriment of alot of other stuff, it is enar imposible to get

I would prefer longer spawning animals, but absent that, I really support the "Bring 'im back alive" wonder, as it seems to increase chance of getting the wonder notably. Especially if you could do it as a cascading option, picking and spending gold till you have up to all 4 in the city

Vote for bring 'im back alive!!

Commerce feud seems out of balance--entirely bad for whatever civ it happens to.

The Turncoats sound interesting, but it would be even better if, particularly the tax collector one could be paired with reprical events. I.e.

An event that says, "You spy master (or appropriate name for current tech level) has devised a scheme to embarass your enemies. He suggests that a fake defector be sent to one of your neighboring states..."

Then when the turncoat event turns up, one has to wonder, is he a real turncoat, or a double agent?

Etc.

Commerce feud seems out of balance--entirely bad for whatever civ it happens to.

Out of balance because it has some bad sides? Hardly. ;)

Actually I tried to make it that most, though not all, of the events involved have good sides, be it free units, extra experience or free promotions to units built in a certain city. If you're willing to tolerate the occasional extra unhappiness in two of your cities, you might find an interest in allowing the feud, especially if you're fighting a war - though there are the occasional nastier events because, well, you're allowing a feud to continue and it's bound to turn nasty at some point.

I like them all and would have voted for any of them 'cept for the Pining for the Fjords. I do like it but other entries that didn't make the cut were far superior I think. Its such a minor event that it seems its only real purpose is as a nod to the humour of Monty Python. I wouldn't mind seeing it in the game, but think it shouldn't have been in the contest. I still think it clever though :)

I voted for Turncoats since I like the roleplaying potential of gaining a unit via an event. I'd like to see more events that focus on individual units. Both for units that already exist, and for introducing new ones. Something which gives a unit some elements of character that sets them apart. That gives the unit a story. Just a little something to help the player roleplay with. I name units sometimes based on special circumstances and find it fun to give a little life to them. I think unit events would take this to a new level. I think it would be fun.

do we really have to make a choice? Is there an option for all of the above?

It's called vote the weakest: if most people do it then all would be so close to win that leaving any out would be unfair.

You can see poll results without voting. While I was making up my mind I was curious as to which entries were in the lead. I periodically checked the results days before I finally voted.

I don't like Bring Em Back Alive myself. Either you catch them or you don't.

Out of balance because it has some bad sides? Hardly. ;)

Actually I tried to make it that most, though not all, of the events involved have good sides, be it free units, extra experience or free promotions to units built in a certain city. If you're willing to tolerate the occasional extra unhappiness in two of your cities, you might find an interest in allowing the feud, especially if you're fighting a war - though there are the occasional nastier events because, well, you're allowing a feud to continue and it's bound to turn nasty at some point.

Maybe I misread them, but it looked to me to be generally all bad or forced effects. The sort of events that I go and edit the event lists to remove because of their over intrusive ness. Other then that, it was quite fun, though 8). Just not a good fit for civ, IMO. Perhaps reworked to so that the two cities didn't have to be both in the same civ, with the options changed to not make that a totally unbalanced occurance...

Congradulations to Xuenay for winning with his Commerce Feud entry!

(now I just have to figure out a way to get it to work ;) )

I'm flattered that my lone entry (turncoat) made the list, thx, and not at all bummed about losing the poll. But I DO have one other thing to add. I think the occasional Python reference is just fine, and considering my handle, I really should've been the one to think up Pining for the Fjords. :lol:

Top Bottom