Design: Promotions

Kael

Deity
+Accuracy- +20% city bombard damage
+Amphibious- No combat penalty if attacking from sea or across a river.
+Barrage I- +40% collateral damage
+Barrage II- +60% collateral damage, +20% vs melee units
+Barrage III- +100% collateral damage
+Blessed- +15% combat, +15 vs demons, Removed after combat
+Blitz- Can attack multiple times per turn
Charmed- Unit can't attack
+City Garrison I- +40% to city defense
+City Garrison II- +50% to city defense
+City Garrison III- +60% to city defense, +20% vs melee units
+City Raider I- +40% city attack
+City Raider II- +50% city attack
+City Raider III- +60% city attack, +20% vs melee units
+Combat I- +20% strength
+Combat II- +20% strength
+Combat III- +20% strength
+Combat IV- +20% strength, heals an additional 10% /turn in neutral lands
+Combat V- +20% strength, heals an additional 10% /turn in enemy lands
+Command- 50% chance to take control of units defeated in combat
+Commando- Can use enemy roads
+Cover I- +40% vs archery units
+Cover II- +80% vs archery units
+Crazed- 50% chance of being enraged each turn
+Defensive- +40% Defense, -40% Attack
+Demon Slaying- +40% vs Demons
+Diseased- -30% Strength, -10% Heal, -10% Heal to units in the same tile, Combat has a 50% chance to spread Disease to each unit in the attacking and defending stack.
+Drill I- 1 additional first strike chance
+Drill II- 1 extra first strike
+Drill III- +2 first strike chances
+Drill IV- 2 first strikes, +20% vs mounted units
+Dwarf Slaying- +40% vs Dwarves
+Elf Slaying- +40% vs Elves
+Enchanted Blade- +10% strength.
+Enraged- +40% Attack, -40% Defense
Fear- Can't be attacked by living units with less than its strength.
+Fire Arrows- +10% strength.
+Fire Resistance- +80% vs Fire
+Flanking I- +20% withdrawal
+Flanking II- +20% withdrawal
+Flanking III- +10% withdrawal, immune to first strikes
+Formation I- +40% vs mounted units
+Formation II- +80% vs mounted units
+Giant Slaying- +40% vs Giants
+Guardsman- Reduces maintenance costs when in a city.
+Guerilla I- +40% hills defense
+Guerilla II- Double movement in hills, +60% hills defense
+Heavy- (Zuul) -1 movement cost, +30% strength
+Immortal- When the unit dies it is reborn in the civilizations capital. A unit can only be reborn once per turn.
+Light- (Zuul) +1 movement, -20% strength, +10% withdrawal chance
+Loyalty- (Corlindale) Unit will die instead of being converted by an opponent.
+Magic Resistance- +40% vs Adepts and Fire, Half chance to be Entangled, Half damage from Fire Aura
+March- Can heal while moving
+Marksman- Unit attacks the weakest unit in the stack instead of the strongest.
+Medic I- Heals units in the same tile +20% damage per turn
+Medic II- Heals units in the same tile +40% damage per turn
+Medic III- Heals units in the same tile +80% damage per turn
+Mobility I- +1 movement range
+Mobility II- +1 movement range
+Mobility III- +1 movement range
+Navigation I- +1 movement range
+Navigation II- +1 movement range
+Orthus’s Axe- +25% Combat, Allows Blitzing, Passed to units that defeat this unit
+Plague Carrier- Spreads the Plague, -20% Heal to units in the same tile
+Plagued- -60% Strength, -20% Heal, -20% Heal to units in the same tile
+Quality Armor- +10% Combat
+Quality Weapons- +10% Combat
+Scourge- +40% vs Disciples
+Sentry I- +1 visibility range
+Sentry II- +1 visibility range
+Sentry III- +1 visibility range
+Shock I- +40% vs melee units
+Shock II- +80% vs melee units
+Spell Extension I- Spells cast have an additional point of movement.
+Spell Extension II- Spells cast have an additional point of movement.
+Spell Extension III- Spells cast have an additional point of movement.
+Spellstaff- Can be broken to allow the caster to regain his casting ability.
+Subdue Animal- Allows the units to convert defeated animal units.
+Summoned- A Summoned unit is automatically killed at the beginning of the owning players next turn
+Taskmaster- Can capture slaves.
+Trainer- Can upgrade units away from cities.
+Twincast- Character can cast 2 spells per turn
+Vampire-
[tab]1. +5% healing
[tab]2. +10% strength
[tab]3. Can make level 6 of higher allied units into vampires (level 4 if they are Moroi)
[tab]4. At level 10 they gain the immortality promotion for free.
[tab]5. Can consume population from cities for XP.
[tab]6. Can consume other units to heal (if it is a blood pet they regain 1 movement and the ability to attack)
+Werewolf- Creates Ravenous Werewolves when it kills living units.
+Woodsman I- +40% jungle defense, +40% forest defense
+Woodsman II- Double movement in jungle and forest, +60% jungle and forest defense

Untouched Soul- (Woodelf) Makes the unit immune to the damaging effects of Hell.

Promotions that require resources (Lunargent)- For example Resist Fire could require a Water Mana to earn

Cursed (kevjm)- Unit can't heal

How about a
Blessed by Frost I
+40% defense in ice, tundra
Blessed by Frost II
+40% defense in ice, tundra
double movement in ice, tundra

Well of course you would have promotions for each of the creature types you end up adding, except maybe avatars.

Corlindale said:
Disciplined - Immune to mind-affecting spells, and cannot be converted.

In a similar vein: Hara-Kiri (or similar). When they die, they do not become slaves/werewolves or similar "captured" units.

Light- (Zuul) greater mobility but decreased strength (defensive strength?)
Heavy- (Zuul) less mobility but increased strength (defensive strength?)
The boon would have to seriously outweigh the loss in order to make me pick one of these over Mobility/Combat.

Yeah, but I mean by quite a lot. I'd rather have a 3 strength, 2 moves unit than a 1,5 strength, 3 moves one. But I suppose that's up to each individual taste. I can see the advantages of a quick, and large, speed boost for a large strength loss under certain circumstances, now that I think about it.

wilboman said:
Yeah, but I mean by quite a lot. I'd rather have a 3 strength, 2 moves unit than a 1,5 strength, 3 moves one. But I suppose that's up to each individual taste. I can see the advantages of a quick, and large, speed boost for a large strength loss under certain circumstances, now that I think about it.

Maybe they could chose the promotion on a turn by turn basis. Each turn our knight gets to choose whether it would rather be heavy or light, and then stays that way until end of turn.

Now there's an idea! I like it, but that would make it more akin to a spell than a promotion... However, it eliminates the rather annoying long-term effect that a permanent promotion would have. Perhaps certain units could have access to it, like a kind of "Forced March" or "Ride Hard" for the speed one, moving fast and throwing caution the wind, and the opposite being "Proceed with Caution" or "Steady does it".

wilboman said:
Now there's an idea! I like it, but that would make it more akin to a spell than a promotion... However, it eliminates the rather annoying long-term effect that a permanent promotion would have. Perhaps certain units could have access to it, like a kind of "Forced March" or "Ride Hard" for the speed one, moving fast and throwing caution the wind, and the opposite being "Proceed with Caution" or "Steady does it".

Well that's why i gave the example of a knight, because Knights have to make that decision often. Maybe a commander hero coudl give that decision to each unit in his stack.

Or, maybe the choice would last until the next battle. Sometimes it would last for 100 turns, sometimes for just one.

wilboman said:
The boon (when talking about light/heavy) would have to seriously outweigh the loss in order to make me pick one of these over Mobility/Combat.

It my not be worth spending a level upgrade on, but might be okay if applied automatically on unit creation by a building or such.

I think that resistance against every sphere would be nice to have, but I shudder to think what the screen would look like at promotion time! Maybe limit to require a mana node of the opposite type to the type being resisted.

Lunargent said:
I think that resistance against every sphere would be nice to have, but I shudder to think what the screen would look like at promotion time! Maybe limit to require a mana node of the opposite type to the type being resisted.

Now that is a great idea.

A magic resistant civ with this promotion would be tough for me to take out, heh, considering how much I rely on my mages.

Lunargent said:
A magic resistant civ with this promotion would be tough for me to take out, heh, considering how much I rely on my mages.

*planning to play magic resistant and destroy lunargent*

Heh, with my luck, I'd have another start with no copper, reagents, iron, or mithril, and you woulnd't even have to try very hard. :p

Lunargent said:

Promotions that require resources. It is an interesting idea. I wonder how hard it would be to implement. Hmmm....

Top Bottom