desperate need of help

Hallard

Chieftain
Once upon a time I had mcafee installed on my computer. I unstalled the firewall, but when i went to try the virus scan or the security center the thing would freeze up. After multiple tries I got fed up and just deleted the folders (closing all running mcafee programs from the task manager) so only the .dlls that one allow thme to delete are still there... now i'm trying to install trend to give it a try, and it starts trying to unistall mcafee, but since it's not there it says can't unistall because of missing .dll (forget which one) and then says unistall it before install trend... and now I'm stuck... I ran a registry fixer, and didn't do anything and I'm lost on ideas of how to rectify the sitution... I tried re-isntalling it... and i just pops up the installation screen, which freezes as a big white box (the same as when I tried to uninstall it before, and got fed up)...

If you have no solution for that, what do you recomend for free anti-virus. I know trend that I'm trying to install is just a trial, but I figured that'd give me 30 days before I had to try something else.

Any helps much apreciated, thanks.

Reinstall McAfee to restore the files properly, then uninstall via the add/remove control panel applet. NEVER, ever just delete a program's directory to delete it(*).

(*) - unless it's one of those rare programs that you just unzip into a folder and run which will never make any registry changes, add files to your system folders, etc.

Free anti-virus applications:
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic

AVG Free

Avast! Home Edition

Top Bottom