[Dev] 0.1 "Babylon" Release Planning

and a NRE for any BIQ with no map

We don't have map gen code, so that makes sense. The "new game" last I looked just loaded a "default save" file, but since map gen is not mod-specific (possibly except map sizes) I guess we could probably get away with loading a default save if the mod has no included map.

Nutty idea: Short of map gen, I wonder if we could resample a map to resize it? That would definitely work in theory, but not sure how useful it would be for playing nor how easy/hard it is to code. Base terrain sampling should be straightforward enough, but overlay terrain with variations could be weird, and river placement in particular is a different challenge. Oh my, and if we tried it on a map with roads and railroads...nah, resampling a no-improvements map would be challenging enough.

Edit: It should be much easier just to insert more ocean to scale up, but that makes a few presumptions....

There are definitely some other (minor) things I could point out to improve, but I agree that given the time since the last release we're at a "just ship it" point. It's not like anybody is depending on feature completion. I'll write up those things in the backlog if they're not already and we can address them when it makes sense.

@Quintillus since you wrote an introduction do you want to make the post? I'll just have a few words to add about the poll. Of course we need to update the release page too. I don't know if anyone has been compiling release notes.

Fantastic work again, everybody. Despite our stall around the new year we made a lot of progress in 3 months. We now have more or less a simple game to show off, not just drawing stuff on the screen. I'd say at this point C7 is already the most advanced remake!

There are definitely some other (minor) things I could point out to improve, but I agree that given the time since the last release we're at a "just ship it" point. It's not like anybody is depending on feature completion. I'll write up those things in the backlog if they're not already and we can address them when it makes sense.

@Quintillus since you wrote an introduction do you want to make the post? I'll just have a few words to add about the poll. Of course we need to update the release page too. I don't know if anyone has been compiling release notes.

Fantastic work again, everybody. Despite our stall around the new year we made a lot of progress in 3 months. We now have more or less a simple game to show off, not just drawing stuff on the screen. I'd say at this point C7 is already the most advanced remake!

I can do that! I did just open a PR to fix the SAV-not-loading/errors-in-loading-causing-crashes, which ideally can be reviewed quickly (with verification that BIQ/SAV/JSON loading works for someone else and not just me) and integrated since it's a sort-of-major issue. But I'll plan on going ahead with the post, and the release page, tonight regardless.

Top Bottom