1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Govt: Permissive vs Restrictive framework

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by ravensfire, Oct 21, 2003.

1. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I knew you guys would come around :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

If we go this route, I think we would still benefit by having ravensfire (assuming he wants the job) lead a structured discussion of each element of the documents like he has been doing. If we have no structure to this process and multiple start opening debates and polls from various sections it will be more difficult to get where we are going.

2. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I'm sorry, I don't have time to properly start a discussion thread. If we're to start talking about a number of different proposals the discussion thread needs to have them all laid out in the the first few posts so everyone can see them.

One thing I would like to point out is that is that in the DG2 rule set versus the DG3 ruleset, the former has a constitution that evolved into the latter. If the DG2 ruleset is adopted I would hope the DG2 constitution would be replaced by the DG3 constitution. I'm afraid I know not what the DG4 framework is nor do I know what FortyJ's exact proposal is so I can't comment on them now.

I do think it would be helpful if we decided what form the rules will take. I don't mean permissive versus restrictive but will we have different levels (general principles that are difficult to change along with more specific rules that are easier to change) in different documents or are we going to lump everything together into one document (and if so will it be all one consistancy or will it be lumpy)?

3. donsig

I am not in favor of a permissive ruleset per se. But if someone posts a poll that simply asks do we want a loose structure versus a strict structure then I will vote for loose. However, I still think the way we set up DG3 is the best. Start loose and make rules as we see the need. For DG4 we could simply carry over the DG3 constitution and make a few laws to deal with the specifi complaints people have about DG3. Rather than try that some are insisting on making a comprehensive ruleset. They do not want to understand that this was already tried in DG2 and it failed!

4. donsig

Well, you've gone there so let's talk about the issue. I'm glad you consider yourself a forum goer DZ, but I have news for you. We lost most of the forum goers back in DG1. If you want wider participation in the demogames then we have to bring decision making back to the forums and reduce the influence of the chat. I am truly sorry that you feel let down by my approach in term three. I must admit it did not had the effect I desired. I did what I did in the interest of the demogame, just as you did by cancelling the last play session of your term. I do hope you can see though that your method was not provoking decision making any more than mine did.

It is just too bad that our citizens vented their energy in term three trying to remove me from office instead of making laws or rules so they could have things run the way they wanted. They always had the power, they just never chose to use it.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Since things have died down here, I have posted a new discussion thread to see how we want to go about building our new ruleset. Here it is:

DG4 Ruleset: Modify Or From Scratch?