Diety is so much harder than Immortal setting

Acrobatc101

Chieftain
I play epic map size as gandhi using earth as the map always.

I can win immortal just fine, but Diety seems like a joke. Even if I play perfect it ends up being a landslide.

Try standard speed. I find on slower speeds it's harder to catch up because they have their advantages longer and they have a chance to snowball more. Might be just me. I like the slower games too but I do a lot better against the higher level AIs on standard.

I can win immortal just fine, but Diety seems like a joke. Even if I play perfect it ends up being a landslide.

I am not a Deity player but I highly recommend you search for Marbozir's Let's Play videos on YouTube. He plays Deity, Epic speed games (on standard maps, though). Watch a couple of his games and see how his strategy and tactics differ from yours. I'm sure his approach is not the only way to tackle Deity, but you might get some ideas.

Try standard speed. I find on slower speeds it's harder to catch up because they have their advantages longer and they have a chance to snowball more. Might be just me. I like the slower games too but I do a lot better against the higher level AIs on standard.

Epic is way easier than standard in my opinion,you catch up in science faster and your units doesn't obsolesce as fast,at least for me.

Immortal to Deity is indeed the biggest leap in difficulty level; so this is common.

However, you're making it even more difficult by your civ and map settings.

Earth map is often the toughest map. There is only 1 natural wonder on the whole map at all sizes instead of the usual 5 or 6 on any other map at standard size (even more on higher maps); this reduces your happiness. (Each natural wonder you discover raises your happiness) In addition, the earth map was designed around the Vanilla CD release minimum city placement; which became illegal six months after vanilla was released; which result in not being able to place cities that work all nearby key tiles such as luxuries being more common. Random contenants would be much easier; while retaining having some AIs on your landmass and other AIs on the other.

Gandhi is also the most difficult civ; his UA is actually a disadvantage during early game. Any other civ would be easier. But the easyist two civs are Babylon & Korea; which both have major science bonuses.

Only Domination and Culture is considerably harder on Deity.

Science is actually easier on Deity because their initial tech advantage means you get a lot of :c5science: from early caravans and they don't suck as Research Agreement partners.

And Diplomatic is such a joke. You can milk the AI for tons of :c5gold: in trade deals or peace treaties and buy all the City-States while they sit on tens of thousands of :c5gold: and watch you win xD

And Diplomatic is such a joke. You can milk the AI for tons of :c5gold: in trade deals or peace treaties and buy all the City-States while they sit on tens of thousands of :c5gold: and watch you win xD
Not really. When an AI clings to a CS, they will not let it go so easily. It goes like this: you become an ally of the CS with your gold gift/quest. The AI then becomes their ally. You spend your gold to win the CS back. Next turn the AI becomes ally again. You spend gold again to only find that next turn the AI supplanted you yet again. It becomes a never-ending battle of attrition with little gameplay to it.

Next turn the AI becomes ally again. You spend gold again to only find that next turn the AI supplanted you yet again. It becomes a never-ending battle of attrition with little gameplay to it.

Obviously you would want to use a few gold gift - 85% coup - gold gift combos when flipping key CSs that the AI is competing with you for. Even if a Deity AI wins it back next turn, they will have to spend $2000. But I take your point. What's still true is that once the AI has lost interest in a CS, they won't flip it just to use their gold stockpile, even before your winning Leader vote.

Try the standard map size. Sometimes the larger map size with more civilizations gives way for more competition and complications.

Top Bottom