IBT
Inca want writing, we decline they declare
1675BC
The hague curagh->warrior
reduce lux because of WH
Maya gor writing now, so trade with other 2
Get Myst and WC for writing and 24 gold from iro's
we get IW + 11 gold from Americans
Maya and Iro's are up HBR and Poly. Had expacted the Americans would have Poly, can get HBR for 290 but to expensive
We have horse next to Utrecht and iron in the moutains up north
1650BC
All civs now up Math, HB and Poly
up lux
1625BC
5 inca warriors show up
retreat settler
empty Utrecht to try and get attention
science to 100%
IBT
lose warrior on defence in forrest
Aztecs got Pyramids
1600BC
get some warriors on mountains in south, between Incan's and empty Utrecht
IBT
lot more Inca's show up
1575BC
Incence connected science back to 100%
IBT
kill 1 Inca on defence rest seem to walk around my barrier, maybe few more turns is enough for peace
1550BC
Settle Eindhoven->warrior
Philo in 5 now
keep warriors on the mountains
IBT
kill and lose 1 warrior
a horse shows up
1525BC
just moving
IBT
Inca move arround Utrecht
1500BC
Inca still won't talk, unusual. Move warriors back into Utrecht. Might get lucky. Otherwise there is new settler on the way. Inca are bound to make peace. Maybe we should move rest of warriors to front as well now. We can increase lux and still get Philo in 3.

View attachment William of the Dutch, 1500 BC.SAV

I think we might have to abandon the horse city, it is threatened by 3 warriors and 1 horse and would likely fall. If that happens a peace deal will be so much more expensive.

So, I would abandon the city and resettle with the current settler once we have peace. I would also start sending out suicide curraghs maybe starting from that small Island eastbound.

As for the techs, I would grab literature from philo. We could then keep lit until we have the SoZ confirmed.

Here's the order again:
Nightfire
nerovats
Optional - up
ThERat

This SG is going fast! I've only played in 1 SG, but I wasn't up more than once a month or so, but here I'm up every week! Anyway, I played. Main points:
* Signed peace with Ince after abandoning Utrecht.
* Met the Germans on the other continent.
* 6 turns away from Statue of Zeus.
Here's the turnlog:
Spoiler :
1500BC:
Abandon Utrecht, as it's under heavy pressure.
IBT: The 2 remaining warriors where Utrecht was get killed, after 2 wins on defence.
1475BC:
Inca are now willing to talk; we pay 200 gold for peace.
IBT: China completes the Colossus.
1450BC:
I'm letting a curragh in the west start a suicide run. I believe we've met everybody on our continent.
IBT: The Maya demand 27 gold. I give it.
1425BC:
We learn Philosophy (science was dropped the last couple of turns) and trade:
Maya give Maths and 156 gold.
The Iroquois give Horse Back Riding and 9 gold.
I'm not managing to get Polytheism. I might have gotten that on Demigod, but I'm not so used to trading on this level.
We pick up Literature as our free tech.
Set research to Currency.
A'dam: settler > settler
Eindhoven: warrior > warrior
1400BC:
The Hague: spearman > worker (I had changed The Hague from a curragh, as we already had 3 curraghs in the water)
1375BC:
Our curragh in the west meets the Germans on the other continent. They have no gold and are behind us in tech.
We settle Utrecht at the horses (again).
1350BC:
I buy a worker from the Maya for 124 gold.
Smoke Jaguar establishes an embassy in our capital.
1325BC:
A'dam: settler > settler
IBT: The Inca are now up Map Making.
1300BC:
The Hague: worker > worker
Eindhoven: warrior > warrior
We found Haarlem, west on the river.
One of our curraghs in the east goes out on a limb.
IBT: Inca have completed the Temple of Artemis.
Our curragh in the east sinks.
1275BC:
zzz
IBT: The Iroquois have completed the Mausoleum of Mausollos in Salamanca.
1250BC:
I buy another worker from the Maya for 124 gold.
Arnhem: worker > worker

Optional, a good SG is one that has quite a high turnaround as it keep the flow and one can actually remember what is happening :D

Good call on abandoning and getting us peace. Let's build up the empire with more cities. Great thing is that our suicide run succeeded, this will get us much better trading.
I would also consider getting some embassies up. We might want to know who knows whom for trading purposes.

Once we get SoZ, we shouls slowly build up our forces for a revenge in the south. The should nicely coincide with our land grab phase.

Personally I would have gone for a min run on republic, as we want that tech as soon as possible. However, since currency was started already, we might want to continue that.

Got it anyway

I'm going to be gone until Sunday, and I was all set to do my turns, but I've encountered a plethora of issues. My civilization game crashes whenever I load the save, and I can't find my discs so I can't reinstall the game either. Sorry about this, but you'll have to put me on skip until this Sunday :(

Any comments on my set are welcome, by the way. I know I will make mistakes, as this is above my level, and I really wouldn't mind if people point to things that I could have done better.
A minimum run on Republic was however not possible, as we didn't have Code of Laws yet.

A minimum run on Republic was however not possible, as we didn't have Code of Laws yet.
My bad...didn't know as I didn't look at the save yet....will try and post whatever I see at the start of my turn. But from the looks and turn post, it doesn't sound as if there are any issues ;)

Pre-Turn
MM 2 tiles that give higher commerce, but that's pretty inconsequenial
would like to send the current settler further south to grab more land

1. 1225BC
send settler further south and new settler as well, we want to really cut off the Incans
realize we can now reduce lux to 10%, science up to 90%

IT this is tricky, America demands literature, refuse to give away our monopoly
surprise, surprise, America does not declare
Maya finish Hanging Garden

2.1200BC
spot a new continent (maybe), send a second curragh on a suicide run

3. 1175BC
decide to sidetrack the curragh and spot a green border

4. 1150BC
our third lux is connected and we can keep the lux down even though Amsterdam grew to 6
meet the Greek, down philo and lit and they have 119gold
sell them philo for all their 119gold, use 64 gold to establish an embassy with them

5. 1125BC
Maya are the first to gain construction
Inca's settle pretty close already, need to compromise but settle one city

IT we get the SoZ, start a rax in Rotterdam

6. 1100BC
settle another city to seal off the borders

7. 1075BC
Inca have another slave available
sell Germany writing for 52g and get the worker for 125gold

8. 1050BC
send out another suicide curragh

IT 2 Mayan settler pairs and 1 Incan settler pair run into view, we better get that iron secured

9. 1025BC
found Delft to close all land in the northwest
meet Portugal on the other continent, they are up currency

new techs are out for us to grab and money too, on top of that we decide to forgo the Glib
time for trading

Portuguese don't know the other, I assume
get currency +78 gold for lit
get construction from Greece for lit currency and 90gold
Maya give CoL, 120gold + 26gpt for currency
America gives MM and poly + 120gold for 2 techs
Iro give 345 gold for currency

nobody on our continent knows literature yet. Greece is still far away from the MA

as we can easily afford it, go for max run on republic in 33

10. 1000BC
we are up all techs except for monarchy, which we don't need anyway
We should start to build up our military soon once we get a few more cities and workers out
Maya have 3 settler pairs around, please grab the iron first
next player could spend some of our money for embassies, once we fight, we need allies

This is going well.
Makes me up again, if I swap with night fire. We indeed need embassies. Next turnset will just be build up. Grab iron, and as much land as possible.

Darn those Inca!

Pre-turn:
Get embassies with civ on our continent
Move warrior from Groningen to block settler pairs
Give Rotterdam extra shield
IBT
Nothing
975BC
Will be able to block Mayans from settable locations
Conact Aztec they lack CoL
Spot Red border
950BC
Rotterdam rax->lib
Utrecht warrior->worker
Change The Hague and Eindhoven to rax
925BC
Settler in location
900BC
Settle Breda->warrior
Contact Rome sell philo for 77 gold
IBT
Mayans complete GW
875BC
Not much
IBT
Inca demand Lit, refusem they declare again
850BC
send units to front
IBT
kill 2 warriors on defence (0-2)
825BC
Have AC at front
IBT
Inca just move
800BC
Kill warrior (0-3)
IBT
kill another inca (0-4)
Maya complete GLHThe hague rax->warrior
IBT
kill 4 Inca lose 1 warrior (1-8)
750BC
Settle Leiden
Kill Inca with elite warrior (1-9)
Have risk near Harrlem but as reg warrior is covering a settler I don't expect it to attack. Inca seem to head for Utrecht again.

empire.jpg

View attachment William of the Dutch,750_BC.SAV

cuzco.jpg Salamanca.jpg Washington.jpg

let's wait for nightfire to come and take his turns...

those pesky Maya's. But with ACav's we should be able to hold on this time, maybe we can start some proper defensive units rather than wasting shields for warriors that will be a liability once we are a republic

I'm back, and I found my CDs. I'm reinstalling the game right now, so I should be able to do a set tonight.

Looking at the save, we left off in an incredibly bad position. We've got border cities defended by next to nothing or single warriors. I'm going to try to save them by pop rushing spears and moving forces from inner cities.

Pre-turn: Pop rush spear in Haarlam and Holwerd, move troops to threatened cities. Hate to sound like the military advisor here, but we need to be protecting our cities ;)

730 BC: Haarlam falls, and is razed by the Inca. Pop rush spear in middelburg. Fortify completely undefended boorder cities of Arnhem, Middelburg and Holwerd.

710 BC: Defeat 2 Incan units, Iroqouis demand literature, we refuse, they were bluffing. Whew.

690 BC: Defeat archer and lose on warrior to an archer between turns. Defeat Incan horseman, and capture two slaves. Mayans appear to be tresspassing with a spearman and a settler. Kill 2 chasqui scouts but lose an elite warrior.

670 BC: Utrecht gets razed. Lots of back and forth with the Inca this turn. Catapult build in Belft, library built in Rotterdam. Amsterdam accidentally goes through a turn of disorder. They finally accept an envoy, and will accept peace for 280 gold. I'd be inclined to accept it, they razed two cities which I couldn't fortify in time. I think making peace, connecting the iron and horses and beelining to chivalry sounds like a good idea. What does everyone think of that offer? Here's a screenshot:

I didn't realize we were building a Library in Rotterdam. Wouldn't that have been too early?
Although, even with Rotterdam building military now, we can't keep up with the speed with which Inca can build units, so I think we haven't got a lot of choice.
We might have to go for a repeat, and pay money for peace again. That'll allow us to settle the horses again (for the third time!) and get some more towns in. I'm grinding my teeth over those Inca, but what else can we do? We could wait a turn or two until a town is under real threat again, but then I see hardly any other option then to accept peace.
And then we have to try and keep the peace with Inca for a long time, since we're going Republic, and we won't like the war weariness of 2 lost towns and several units. Brr.

670BC: Kill another Incan unit, that gets the price down to 260 gold, I make the deal.
650BC: Try to shop around for techs, but it looks like we'll have to steal. Reposition troops to protect settler going to the horses city. Rotterdam produces ancient cavalry.
610BC: Settler makes its way towards empty land to the southeast, Amsterdam builds another settler.
590BC: Suicide curragh dies. Dan Helder founded near horses. Hopefully this city will last.
570BC: Horses get connected, Rotterdam makes archer.
550BC: Incan stack o' doom moves near the horses city (this is getting seriously annoying). I preemptively move 2 units to fortify its defenses. Iron will be connected next turn.

Top Bottom