Diplo this time

Mistfit

Deity
This is a game that I never intended on submitting but when I finished it ended up being
a 2nd place game so I figured I had better give you guys some info on it as I'm always
harping on other people to do write-ups :D

This game started because of a comment I remembered from the past from someone I was in
a SG with. We were talking about the GOTM. He said that he no longer played GOTM because
it had gotten very predictable. He said that best scores always came down to the same thing.
Who can get to the domination limit the fastest. Once at the domination limit you could
basically chose what victory condition you wanted.

Well I figured I'm pretty good at small cheiftan domination :smug: How hard could it be to
take that to a good diplo game.

Edit:
I chose SUMERIA as my Civ

So my first game I decided to not put any limits on dominaiton size when running map finder.
All I wanted was good food at the start. I found a map with 2 cows and a Fp wheat. This seems
good so I used it as my test game. (unfortunately I could not figure out how to share the
food properly to get 2 SF's going. Remember I'm kinda thick headed sometimes.

I chose what I thought were all scientific opponents :rolleyes:
Germany
Babylon
Ottomans
Byzantines

and...

Netherlands :lol:

so much for all scientific (thick headed I tell you).

My big plan was to hit the settling hard and not stop until I got to 60ish % land mass.

That did not happen :( I either got bored with settling or I got concerned with falling behind
in tech pace because I gave up at about 40% and started pushing tech to the max. Buying as
many libs and uni's as my max'ed out tech slider would allow.

I didn't really war to much either. I only attacked the Byzantines once because I was getting tired
of being Mr. Nice Guy (and they had the only furs on the map)

I had pretty good luck with SGL's
1425 bc for the Pyramids
30AD which I save for a long time to use on Hover's in 590AD
590AD got another one which I held until to get the UN in 880AD

What I learned:
It is not that easy to stick to my plans :D

Having AI respawn on is good on this type of game if you are careless
like me and accidently kill of a scientific opponent

I do plan on playing this again (with all scientific AI this time)

I think if I do stick to my plan and really puch the domination limit early I should be able
to greatly improve my date

More to come when I have more time

Any suggestions/helpful hint/unhelpful hints/blatent jabs at my meagre attempts welcome

You played Sumeria? (sorry if it's in the post but I can't see it!) Do you think that the Agri trait is worth more than early contacts and GHs on the map (due to the poor AI scouting at this level) that the Russians can get? I've always valued this early boost towards Republic more highly than the extra food but maybe I'm wrong to do so. Certainly the exp trait is a short term bonus.

:mischief: erm... sure it's in there...

Yes I chose Sumeria for myself.

Why? They are who I used for my domination games. Kind of a silly reason but hey. No one said I was a genius.

I may have to give Cathy a try of my next set.

What is kind of funny is that I made another screw up I made on this game is that I did not switch the barb setting off of roaming froma previous game I was playing so the barbs were a real pain in the arse in this game as well.

Mistfit said:
I may have to give Cathy a try of my next set.
Don't change on my account! Playing a civ you know well is reason enough when trying to get a 'best date'.

It was really more of a question anyway. I haven't got a lot to compare your game with to decide whether Sumeria are better prospect than the Russians. I have a space victory on a small Warlord which is probably the closest I can get in comparison and four turn research was not too difficult to get for many techs. However the extra food should help long term research prospects and I haven't played them much so maybe I should be trying them out!

I look forward to seeing your new date when you get all the settings the way you want them :)

Mistfit said:
I think if I do stick to my plan and really puch the domination limit early I should be able to greatly improve my date

I do not get the point about the domination limit....
if Your intention is to improve the date (not the score), I would pursue 4 turn tech pace as early as possible.
That would't take much more than the "optimal number" of cities.
... or have missed some diplo strategy options ?

Top Bottom