1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy AI Development

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Recursive, Feb 14, 2020.

1. AnemoneMeer

AnemoneMeer Chieftain

I'd like the AI to apply a strategic weight to cities and be willing to trade cities that it doesn't make logical sense for it to hold. If two AI's are in a war vs a third, and end up trampling it, they should try to divide it along rational borders after instead of having this insane patchwork mishmash that can occasionally happen when invading empires that are more a line than a blob.

It's silly when it happens because it can be really easy for them to then lose said city because it's surrounded by the borders of other nations. Maybe just a check if a city is 100% surrounded by foreign borders.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  2. AndreyK

AndreyK Prince

I have an issue with WC sanctions - I have been at a successful war with 2 AI who made DoW to me - then I made a favorable peace treaty with them paying 200-300+ gold, also I have sold techs to other AI also for hundreds of gold. Some couple turns later I got sanctioned by WC (by 1 vote more)- I'm certain that I will remove sanctions at next session but I lost hundreds of gold per turn (which I would be getting for more than 60 turns). I think if they buy techs or lost war - they should be paying - sanctions or no.
    Also I have a question - when civ get sanctioned if at war or takes part at war later, then that civ not able to make a peace treaty with gpt or luxury per turn? they have to make peace with no gain or with complete victory or defeat?

3. Borya

Borya Warlord

Does land stealing through citadel hurt relations? I saw Gandhi's reaction after I got his copper this way (I had no choice), still his opinion about me didn't seem to change (no new red text shown regarding this event).

4. Hinin

Hinin King

AI tend to hide their negative feelings against you when they show themselves as Friendly (because they are sneaky beakies). If Gandhi is friendly with you, it is thus normal you don't see the important relation malus caused by the land stealing ("You stole their land!").

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021 at 7:56 PM
  5. Borya

Borya Warlord

6. Solic

Solic Warlord

Is there some automatic denouncing possible? I could swear that in my last 2 games I did not denounce particular civs, but a diplomatic penalty for having denounced them did show up at some point. I'll try to get a game save file next time I spot it if there is no reason for it.

7. Borya

Borya Warlord

Solic likes this.
  8. stii

stii King

you can to a degree get around this hiding by trying to sell them things. they more they hate you the worse prices they will give. You can often tell which AIs are planning to murder you by checking this.

9. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

This is actually a bug; I accidentally removed the display code for that, but it does in fact hurt relations. I fixed for next version.

They only hide "subtle negatives" like territorial/religious disputes or warmongering (and they can pretend to have no contested borders, etc). Obvious negatives like denouncing them, making demands, stealing land etc. should still be shown.

Also worth noting you can enable Transparent Diplomacy or Show All Opinion Modifiers to prevent them from hiding modifiers.

Borya and Hinin like this.