• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Diplomacy ideas

CYZ

Toileteer
I want to expand the diplo mechanic with a reworked idea of the Civ 4 mechanic. It will consist of three types of pacts between players.

Declaration of friendship = 2 players, as it is now.

Diplomatic pact= min. 3 players with DoF

Alliance= min. 4 players with Diplopact

DoF=better relation, better trade deals

Diplomatic pact= automatic defensive pact and open borders. This is also needed to start a Research Agreement (another issue fixed)

Alliance= permanent, when anyone in the Alliance wants to DoW on any civ, a majority (60%) needs to vote in favour, you gain 1 vote for every population in the empire. You obviously cannot DoW on each other to cancel the Alliance, Alliance is permanent.

This could drasticly change the idea behind diplo victory, I have two ideas for Alliances.

a) you can win together, so you can build the spaceship together, or take out all capitals together. Etc.

b) Only when you are in a Alliance can you build the UN. First civ to build the UN becomes the president/leader of the UN. This allows him to start certain voting rounds. A few ideas:

Single currency= all tradenetworks among the Alliance become connected, thus a big gold boost for all civs in the Alliance
Combined research= If a tech is researched by another civ in the Alliance it becomes 10% cheaper (stacks, 10 civs with a tech, tech is free). Thus, faster science
Single language= Gain 1 culture for every policy you have in common with civs in the Alliance. Also gain 10 culture for every filled policy branch that another civ has also filled (have the same branch filled as two other civs? 30 culture)
Combined resources= Gain 2 happiness from any Luxury you don't have but another civ in the alliance does have. Also 1 happiness for every world wonder in the alliance.

This would mean an Alliance is highly beneficial for those involved, and becomes more beneficial if more civs join. If a civ wants to join all members of the Alliance get to vote on it, 60% majority is needed. A new president is also elected every once in a while, again by voting but it is not possible to vote on yourself.

I like this idea; more co-operation would make the game better, I feel. The problem is getting more than one AI at a table to come up with a deal. That may be setting the barrier to entry into a Research Agreement too high.

I like this idea; more co-operation would make the game better, I feel. The problem is getting more than one AI at a table to come up with a deal. That may be setting the barrier to entry into a Research Agreement too high.

Which is what I want :p Although an RA would still be among two players, it's just that you need to be in a diplomatic pact together to be able to do so.

Obviously though, all this would only work with improved AI.

I like it but the there are 2 things I would like to see added or changed.
and how about adding a temporary alliance being allowed after a declaration of friendship has been made and will only last 20-30 turns?

Have a vote to stop the building of nukes seeing as you can't build anything to shoot them down.

I like your idea and I wish diplomacy meant something in Civ 5. As of right now I don't really talk to other civs because even if you trade with them or make DoF, you still get denounced. I hope Civ 6 has better AI and diplomacy.

and how about adding a temporary alliance being allowed after a declaration of friendship has been made and will only last 20-30 turns?

Have a vote to stop the building of nukes seeing as you can't build anything to shoot them down.

I like your idea and I wish diplomacy meant something in Civ 5. As of right now I don't really talk to other civs because even if you trade with them or make DoF, you still get denounced. I hope Civ 6 has better AI and diplomacy.

I agree with the suggestion about nukes!

As for a temporary alliance, isn't a diplomatic pact already in between a DoF and a permanent alliance? Otherwise, we could change the defensive pact so that it is an alliance as well, but meh.

I agree with the suggestion about nukes!

As for a temporary alliance, isn't a diplomatic pact already in between a DoF and a permanent alliance? Otherwise, we could change the defensive pact so that it is an alliance as well, but meh.

Well most of the time or atleast in my games if I ever signed a Defensive pact with a country, they normally attack somebody and ending the deal. but I do see your point.

I agree I like the ideas. Though one thing I would change about Diplomacy which is a game changer:

Spoiler :
We have to send an Ambassador to each of the Civ's instead of just automatically being able to speak diplomatically.

I agree I like the ideas. Though one thing I would change about Diplomacy which is a game changer:

Spoiler :
We have to send an Ambassador to each of the Civ's instead of just automatically being able to speak diplomatically.

a) how does this work? You need to send an ambassador to do anything diplomaticly? Or everytime that you want to speak with them? or...?

b) Can you describe what would be the added value?

Well most of the time or atleast in my games if I ever signed a Defensive pact with a country, they normally attack somebody and ending the deal. but I do see your point.

Does attacking somebody end the defensive pact? I did not know that.

I think it should be possible that if civ a and civ b have a defensive pact, and civ a DoWs civ c, the pact should remain intact. Although civ b should not auto-declare on civ c.

a) how does this work? You need to send an ambassador to do anything diplomaticly? Or everytime that you want to speak with them? or...?

b) Can you describe what would be the added value?

Just send an Ambassador one time only to set up an embassy.

Depth? I guess.

Just send an Ambassador one time only to set up an embassy.

Depth? I guess.

I understand. It doesn't seem very deep to me, it's just a small extension of first meeting civs.

Does attacking somebody end the defensive pact? I did not know that.

I think it should be possible that if civ a and civ b have a defensive pact, and civ a DoWs civ c, the pact should remain intact. Although civ b should not auto-declare on civ c.

If I remember correctly that is what does happen. Which I agree it shouldn't end the defensive pact.

If I remember correctly that is what does happen. Which I agree it shouldn't end the defensive pact.

There should be a way that if one is in a defensive pact if the AI, or you decide to attack the ally should be informed beforehand and whether they support it, if they do(pact will remain, possibly DoW), or not and decide if pact should continue.

There should be a way that if one is in a defensive pact if the AI, or you decide to attack the ally should be informed beforehand and whether they support it, if they do(pact will remain, possibly DoW), or not and decide if pact should continue.

So basicly, if a and b have a defensive pact. a wants to DoW on c. Then b is asked, do you join (both DoW on c), do you support (defensive pact remains) or do you disagree (defensive pact is ended).

I'd agree with this!

They really needs to add such features to existing units or add units and buildings that can can combat nuke warfare and it's effects.

Firaxis simply needs to go back to how the UN worked during IV BtS which was great but also add more features, I agree on resolutions like Nuclear Non-Proliferation but not to say building units to stop such an attack. As certain Civilizations, like me, will just defy said Resolutions. I would REALLY love to see Diplomatic solutions that go towards ceasefires between civilizations, be them forced or even have nations approach to start peace talks and have say observers which would simply highlight said nations and it's territories for X amount of turns to see military movements etc.

That would be amazing.

Top Bottom