Diplomacy while at war?

Zygmunt

Warlord
It seems that when i right click on at war leader heads it closes the diplomacy screen. Is that because they declared war on me first? So they end it as pleased? Is there a tech that allows diplomacy at all levels? And when i say declared war on me first, I'm not talking about at the game start, I mean X amount of turns into the game. Here's the WB file if that is any help

Attachments

• 1400 AD Zygmunt.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    939.7 KB · Views: 12
Yep, I did not make much sense of what you mean by right-clicking on the war leader's head. I don't even know what that would do.

What I do know is that a leader might not speak to you for the first several turns of war.

Thats what i wanted to know, do you mean speak to you after bring up the diplomatic window or not even getting to that point? Im saying in the upper right hand corner of the screen is the diplomatic button. Click on that and you get your leader's head and a half circle of the other leaders heads. Right click on one of the AI controlled heads and that's supposed to bring up the diplomatic window where you can talk to said leader

If leaders are refusing to speak with you when you bring up the diplomacy window that's a normal mechanic - AIs will get upset if you end up at war with them, or suddenly cancel Open Borders. In the case of war the AI will be willing to negotiate again after some number of turns depending on who DoWed who (I forget off-hand if it's longer whether you DoWed them or they DoWed you), and I believe whether the AI is badly losing/winning the war? In the case of cancelling Open Borders it's a random chance every turn that the AI will forgive you and be willing to speak again. I think the exact chance depends on the AI, but again, not sure on that one.

Ive seen "lets cancel this meaningless war!" and them saying no, but now i also seen when the diplomat screen not popping up at all even after i right click on the leader head (leader face) The diplo screen with a half circle of leaders (leader heads) and mine up on top.

If leaders are refusing to speak with you when you bring up the diplomacy window that's a normal mechanic - AIs will get upset if you end up at war with them, or suddenly cancel Open Borders. In the case of war the AI will be willing to negotiate again after some number of turns depending on who DoWed who (I forget off-hand if it's longer whether you DoWed them or they DoWed you), and I believe whether the AI is badly losing/winning the war? In the case of cancelling Open Borders it's a random chance every turn that the AI will forgive you and be willing to speak again. I think the exact chance depends on the AI, but again, not sure on that one.
Does the leader itself also play a role? I'm sure I've seen some leaders be almost immediately willing to negotiate and others cling on to the very end.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Thats what i wanted to know, do you mean speak to you after bring up the diplomatic window or not even getting to that point? Im saying in the upper right hand corner of the screen is the diplomatic button. Click on that and you get your leader's head and a half circle of the other leaders heads. Right click on one of the AI controlled heads and that's supposed to bring up the diplomatic window where you can talk to said leader
In the main screen, left-click on the leader name on the bottom right, on the scoreboard. That will open up interaction with that leader. If he/she is not willing to talk to you, he/she will tell you exactly that.

Is that because they declared war on me first? So they end it as pleased? Is there a tech that allows diplomacy at all levels?
I still don't understand any of these questions. It doesn't matter who declared. Wars end only by agreement OR they can be forced by AP. I don't think there is a tech that affects communication between you and the AI.

Does the leader itself also play a role? I'm sure I've seen some leaders be almost immediately willing to negotiate and others cling on to the very end.
Yes, although to get that information I'm afraid you'll have to dive into game files. Civ Illustrated #1 (Know Your Enemy) doesn't have the variable listed for each leader, iRefuseToTalkWarThreshold is the one you're looking for.

Some leaders are willing to negotiate again faster than others (mainly the more peaceful personalities).
"lets stop this pointless war" means offering peace at even terms (no cities, techs or gold change hands).
If an AI feels like they are winning, or have more power than you then they prolly won't accept this.

Cities under attack (or with a stack going there) matter for such negotiations, we can see this when they want city X for peace.
(or for those who watched AI Survivor..when you facepalmed about cities given back ;))

War isn't the only possible reason why an AI does not talk, if you gave in on a "stop trading with our worst enemy" demand you didn't just cancel deals with them - they are now also bored of you for x turns and refuse to talk.

Perhaps @Zygmunt is trying to make peace with a vassal. I guess it's normal behavior that the diplo screen simply won't open when the vassal's name is left-clicked on the scoreboard – since only the master can negotiate peace. At least that's the result that I just got with the scenario file from the opening post. And, when making the contact attempt from the Foreign Advisor, that screen was indeed closed. I'm guessing that the game first decides to close the Foreign Advisor – since there is going to be diplomacy – and only then checks whether the target leader can be contacted. In a better world, the vassal would behave akin to a leader with whom trade has been stopped, i.e. the diplo screen would open, tell the player why contact isn't possible and present only one option – which will close the diplo screen.

Yes f1rpo that's exactly what i was talking about. Not the diplomatic screen coming up and them saying whatever equal to "we don't feel like talking, this war will never end" (or whatever the proper response was, i forget) and then closing. Certain scenarios I've played I've seen that. I'm talking about why would the diplo screen not come up at all? Right clicking on the leaders face just closes the half circle of leaders with myself at top just bringing me back to the main screen

I did a thorough search of the WB file. Apparently the original author of the scenario made France a vassal of the Ottoman Empire . I don't know why but i removed it, off to a normal game as france now!

Yes f1rpo that's exactly what i was talking about. Not the diplomatic screen coming up and them saying whatever equal to "we don't feel like talking, this war will never end" (or whatever the proper response was, i forget) and then closing. Certain scenarios I've played I've seen that. I'm talking about why would the diplo screen not come up at all? Right clicking on the leaders face just closes the half circle of leaders with myself at top just bringing me back to the main screen
If it auto-closes like that they are a vassal at war with you. If the AI is "refuses to talk" and at war with you while being a vassal, it just closes the screen because the vassal can't negotiate its own war status anyway.

Seems intentional

Top Bottom