1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Disable GDR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Pistol90, Jan 17, 2019.

?

What should be with GDR in Civ series ?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2019.
  1. Remove it totally, it does not belong in Civ game

12.8%
  2. Let it stay, but make it little bit more reasonable (no jumping over mountains etc)

10.4%
  3. Replace it with something more realistic (some kind of drones or Armored Fighting Vehicles)

18.4%
  4. I dont care, its too late in the game

20.8%
  5. Keep it, it is good addition to the game

37.6%
  1. funkymunky

funkymunky Warlord

Might be cooler if they called them Jaegers instead, but perhaps that name is trademarked.

2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

3. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Can I see it?

4. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

I think he is refering to wormholes (more commenly known as Einstein–Rosen bridges).
    Those things don't violate the current physical model and it might be actually possible to travel through them - if they do exist.
    And if you are a (sub)atomic particle, that is.
    Other than those? Tough luck!

----

Edit: And more on topic ...

Now that I have played a couple of games, I can savely say that I don't mind the GDR ... at all.

The AI is eager to build it, hence it doesn't pose an unfair advantage for the human player.

Actually, I like that it is so OP, as seeing it on the AI's side does cause all my alarm bell to ring and I have to try hard to wear it down as soon as possible so it can't run amok in my own (conventional) lines.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Socrates99 and Infixo like this.
  5. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I don't think wormholes are the only means. Negative mass drives are another example.

However, none of these are faster than light... they are shortcuts.

6. Imaus

Imaus Prince

Mars is not in another solar system. You don't need FTL for it. Why are you bringing it up? Mars is the second closest planet to us. It is, even with our paltry chemical engines, months away, not years. It is nowhere near a 'one way trip', every flyby and landing mission and paper shows this. It is a question of putting our feet where our mouth is and doing it; which we've planned since Von Braun and Der MarsProject in the 50s, the Soviet Flybys, and every NASA generation.

7. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

You don't need FTL to travel to another star system either. Traveling at close to speed of light you could cross the observable universe in a humans lifetime and spaceship in civ doesn't travel that far :) Meanwhile Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away so if you travel at 1/10 speed of light you get there in 43.7 years without taking into account how your speed affects the spacetime from your perspective (I am not sure the effect is noticeable enough at 1/10 speed of light). It's hardly possible with current technologies but it's realistic, something that people slowly work towards. As opposed to cartoonish GDR nobody needs. Entirely different things.

But I guess some people would also accept elvish archers in Civ I mean why not, we already have a spaceship that's not yet built in real life.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Putting a robot on Mars and putting humans there and getting them back is another story. And I'm referring to exo planet project not mars habitation project. Look up articles in long term habitability in space, I read them. It doesn't look good.

9. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I think they had GDR in CivV or Civ IV. Didn't like it then. Would rather have an invasion from Mars -- that could take the place of all the bio stuff. I came across this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sc...again-as-scientists-test-neutrino-result.html Does that relate to the wormhole stuff?

10. Avenger237

Avenger237 Chieftain

Prototype GDR? ;)

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Doesn't look very giant. :smug: :)

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ouch. For those wondering how good the counter is for GDR, an AI jet bomber did significant damage to my GDR. And I had all the techs researched. And yes the AI has been using airpower this game. Though it took them a while to get it going (I'm playing a score game with all victories disabled except score).

13. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

In my last playthrough there was only enough uranium to support 2 GDRs (3 uranium mines I think?) There wasn't any uranium anywhere else and couldn't build nukes.

Also encampments really slow the things down.

They probably shouldn't be affected by Oligarchic Legacy...